Wymah Ferry Murray River

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:43
ThreadID: 55392 Views:1764 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Drove down to Wymah yesterday to go over the Murray and have a look at Granya State Park. Unfortunately the river/weir is so low the ferry is high and dry and not operating.

Instead drove along the north bank of the river upstream to Jingellic. On the way passed thru Talmalmo, home of George Fury, the terry towelling hat wearing racecar/rally driver from the 70's and 80's. Pub's gone these days but a nice drive nevertheless.

Lunch in the shady reserve behind the Pub and a swim in the river, then the obligatory cold ale.

Great part of the world and can recommend it!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:08

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:08
Hi Michael
Good point that you have mentioned about the state of the mighty Murray River. Grim up your way and very grim down here in SA. I wish more people could get of their glass houses and see the dire problems that the Murray is facing. As you may have heard, our State Government is doing all in its powers but needs the Federal Government to lifts its game and take on the other states that are holding out. Lake Albert is in Dire problems and is at its critical stage like many places in the Murray Darling system.
If we could only get a fraction of the Queensland rain into the Murray system, it would do wonders. As they say the Murray is the life blood for SA and we would be up the proverbial creek without it.

Lets all do our part in saving this great River,

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 291901

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:30

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 14:30
or stop the cotton and rice farmers from stealing the water upstream

steve
AnswerID: 291918

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:58

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:58
Hi Michael.
I remember racing at Hume Weir circuit & camping below the dam wall.In those days the weir was certainly full & it was a great drive to where the once mighty Murray began its life.
I also enjoyed the drive from Albury to the mouth of the Murray/
Regards.
Vince
AnswerID: 291938

Follow Up By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:10

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:10
Hume Weir???

At least you've probably heard of George Fury then...
FollowupID: 557278

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:14

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:14
Michael.
One of my friends at the time even raced Nissans(datsuns) in the same team as George Fury!!!
Vince
FollowupID: 557279

Reply By: madcow - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 07:45

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 07:45
Could be called the Hume Pond. If it drops down to below 3% do yourself a favour and go for a drive out to Ebden and check out the old bridge where the road used to cross to Bethanga. Quite a nice spot to do a bit of metal detecting.
AnswerID: 292044

Sponsored Links