Do I need Should I have???

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:26
ThreadID: 55410 Views:3480 Replies:15 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I don't like asking this type of question as I am very confident that most decisions I make are the right one.

But SWMBO and I discussed the need for a second Sat phone today, the second being a new Iridium phone.

Now we have 4 tour vehicles each has a 3G phone that work for 95% of the tour, each car has a 5 watt uhf radio able to contact each other 100% of the time and one Sat phone ( Pivotel Globalstar). now I don't need the bullsh1t talk about Globalstar as I know what the system achieves for me.

My point is that, 2 is better than 1, her argument is that 1 is enough, this is not a money thing as we get $1100 subsidy for the phone.

If you were a participant on our tour would you be happy with what we have in place.

Thanks in advance for your constructive replies.

Cheers Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:34

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:34
G* told me that they would be reselling the Iridium service soon...

and that you would be able to trade in your handset.

I have yet to see what they are offering, but you might want to look into that.

I'm surprised the G* works for you at all enough to be useful, but of course believe you if it does.

But to answer your questions I would want to know more - like:

Do your vehicles usually travel together?

How many days have you travelled and not seen other vehicles or how many places do you go to that others don't within 24 hours?

Cheers
Andrew.
AnswerID: 292015

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:44

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:44
Hey Andrew.

Hows things hope all is good.

For me Globalstar work with patients, lol, The new offer is on thread 55345.

So with that deal I could keep my Sat phone and get the new one for $900, as I said not a money thing.

The cars are within 20 km all day, they are day tours to Jim Jim and Twin falls, hence the uhf 100% all day, I think it would be better to err on the side of caution.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 557376

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:54

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:54
Things are mad Steve.

G* doesn't work with my patients - in fact I was the patient myself on RFDS, and it wasn't working damn it ;-)

If cost were not issue I'd have HF radios in a couple of them - that way you can call any sort of help any time - but having an Iridium is probably pretty much the same level of capability too with the additional in-bound call capability. Do they all have a GPS so they can tell help where to find them?

Anyways, you're never really too remote or too far away from other travellers - it just becomes a question of how professional you want to be.

Cheers
Andrew.
FollowupID: 557379

Reply By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:36

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:36
The two tilt trays have sat phones and the F250 and trailer has one and then there is a spare one in an orange carry case for when we use other four wheel drives to go and extricate people in obtuse places...All vehicles have UHF as well.
So I would have to say yes a second one would not go astray, The topography and distances we operate in make them an essential work tool..
AnswerID: 292016

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 06:54

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 06:54
Careful....the phantom's secret identity could be revealed!!
FollowupID: 557400

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:37

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:37
Steve a bit of a loaded question me thinks. :-)

Most of you're clients would not know what is needed or indeed what you may actually have in place, thats why they hired you in the first place as they believe you will have what is needed for the area they are visiting and the conditions likely to be found.

You are asking a question of the converted and the answer will be different based on the collective knowledge of the forum as opposed to the knowledge of you're clients.

For what its worth in my view toss the Global$hit and you only need the one sat phone being the Iridium as at least you know it will work when you want it.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 292017

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:40

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:40
Steve,

I am not sure if you already have them but have you thought about HF radios for each vehicle.

Expensive but it just might be worth it in the long run.

Wayne
AnswerID: 292018

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:51

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:51
Steve,

I agree with John. Most of your clients will have very little experience, and be looking to you as a god on the tours.

You are responsible (too some degree) for their safety (be it directly or indirectly) and if anything happens you will feel responsible whatever the outcome.

Go with your gut - if you believe that 2 is needed then get it - better to be over prepared and not need it.

Personally I believe that 1x UHF, 1x Next G & 1x Sat Phone is enough - but them that is what I deem Ok for where I travel with my friends. It can be easy to loose all communication equipment in a river crossing gone wrong. Its all about risk assessment, even more so when you are a Tour Operator.
AnswerID: 292023

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:56

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:56
"3G phone that work for 95% of the tour, each car has a 5 watt uhf radio able to contact each other 100% of the time".
I think you have enough communication to cover most situations by the sound of it.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 292025

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:07

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:07
Just to add Jim Jim and twin falls both have ECD in the gorge and on the escarpment.

I make a point and tell my guides to point out the coms we have to the passengers in case we ourselves become the victim EG : Andrew from Vivid last year.

I have been on this forum for 12 months and 1 day so I have a good idea how you think, this is why I asked your opinion.

In all honesty Globalstar has been annoying but has not failed me, hence keeping the phone.

I haven't seen a subsidy for a HF that compares to a Sat phone one, if there is one please let me know.

Thanks so far.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 292027

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 17:01

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 17:01
"Just to add Jim Jim and twin falls both have ECD"

- what's ECD ????
FollowupID: 557474

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:09

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:09
Emergency call devise.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 557484

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 00:04

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 00:04
Steve, you know what I'm going to say :)
A HF radio might be a handful if the emergency is the guide; not too many tourists could press the right buttons I'd suspect. Since your operations are fairly well constrained in terms of geography, Hf might be overkill.
I'd definately toss the Global $%^&. They're not going anywhere but downhill in a hurry.
Irridium would be my weapon of choice in handheld units. Even I don't have any problem using them, and I am useless with 3G next G oh Gee type stuff. So even a touro could quickly yell for help, and the oncosts of training your people to use them are almost nil.
AnswerID: 292035

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 00:10

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 00:10
Steve, if this is for work (money making) all you need to do is comply with worksafe or your conscience (not sure if thats the right word I had to use a paper dictionary),

The law states in WA the you must were practicable

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 292037

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 07:08

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 07:08
Gday Richard (and all)

Practicable is one of the newest words you can put anywhere in legislation, procedures and other bits of Beurocracy as it seems to give the auther of a document a means of pointing a finger (blaming someone else), and shifting responsibility away from themselves. Unfortunately I'm in an industry where it is used to death, and unfortunately I have to use it myself to ensure 'pants are worn' (cover my a$$)

Beaurocracy has crept into almost every aspect of life, and has started infultratiing the NT (today 130kph, tomorrow 110; soon roadhouses won't be able to sell beer etc)

Cheers Andrew

PS just re - read this, and due to the lack of physical expressions etc online as we speak, it reads like I'm having a go at you. Definately not the case, just working on some safety issues at work and the word is way overused. I have tried to keep it as unpersonal and to the point as practicable....

FollowupID: 557401

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 22:29

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 22:29
Yes Andrew, have read a lot of the WA regs and I am a safety Officer where i work,

Cheers
Richard
FollowupID: 557571

Reply By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 07:10

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 07:10
Hi Steve,
Based in Jabiru and travelling to and from Jim Jim and Twin Falls between there and Cooinda, you have more than enough comms. Your OH is spot on, save your money.
I would feel perfectly safe travelling on one of your tours.
Dennis
AnswerID: 292042

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:34

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:34
some cheap HF sets on Ebay I see, LOL
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 292057

Reply By: John R (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:50

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:50
Yeh, get another sat phone. And an HF.

But I'm a fan of gadgets. It's just not possible to have too many.

Seriously though, I've no idea what your clientele's knowledge of satphone & hf is, so I won't try and second guess them.

However, in your business I don't think you can afford NOT to be able to contact emergency services if (when?) a client has a mishap. Like it or not (waiver or not!), people pass the mantle of responsibility to you when you lead a tour.

If I break my leg, I want to know that everything that can be done, is being done. Much of that would come down to how you handle a catastrophe. Frankly, if you are in control and have several plans and procedures for what to do when there's an accident, that would placate me.

If I get bitten by a taipan though, I want to be bloody sure I'm going to get in touch with anti-venom pretty damn smartly. To me, part of that would be to ensure he/she/it who is keeper of said anti-venom is aware that I need it, and is ready to greet me.

This might all sound like overkill. However, those of us who travel under our own steam do so at our own risk. We wear the responsibility for mitigating accidents when walkabout, but your business can't afford to have negative publicity (I don't buy that 'no such thing as bad publicity' bit).

Obviously you're not waiting for some catastrophe to occur before you think about it, and if murphy's on your shoulder you could wear the cost of a dozen sat phones without incident occurring. But, the day you leave them all at home . . . . . .

There's no easy answer, I don't think.

If I was on tour with you, I'd be quite happy with the knowledge you've got a sat phone. If I have an accident and the phone doesn't work, well . . . . . provided I live through it without losing too many bodily organs or functions, then I'd be right!

Cheers,
John
AnswerID: 292145

Reply By: mowing - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:00

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:00
Steve,
Think of an action ........ie emergency
Then think of a reaction .......response

Can you handle with current communications?

Regards

Mark

AnswerID: 292185

Reply By: cYc - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 06:18

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 06:18
I used to have the globalstar system and now have the other telstra system and wondered why I ever bothered with the gobalstar.

If you have two systems you will only end up using the one and getting rid of the other.

All the best
Eric

cape york connections

AnswerID: 292245

Reply By: Member - Craig M (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 20:40

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 20:40
Hi
Just a thought...............
If things became REALLY desperate and it was the driver etc that was 'immobilised' what about an EPIRB? I realise that this is quite obviously a last ditch effort but I have known of lives to have been saved when the vehicle has been washed off the road, drowned the phone and HF and to boot, busted the HF antenna.

Seems like a cheap investment at about $500 for the newfangled ones with the GPS locator thingy.

What do you guys think?

Craig Mc Donald
Quebec 1770
AnswerID: 295674

Sponsored Links