CT Roof Racks for Jayco Dove '88' model

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:23
ThreadID: 55421 Views:6489 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can tell me if I can fit roof/boat racks onto my Jayco Dove '88' model CT other than 'Jayco brand' which I have been quoted $200 not fitted?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 15:09

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 15:09
Depends on how you want to mount the racks. Some are bolted on/over the corner others are bolted straight onto the roof top - close to the edges. No I wouldn't think you would have to use a Jayco brand however you will require something off the shelf that has appropriate fixings. Other alternative is to have something custom built. If you wish to carry a boat, be VERY careful as you can cause the roof to sag with likely consequences being water leaks. The vertical edges of the roof can also be forced out causing irreparable damage. Don't think you'll find that Jayco recommend carrying a boat on roof of C/T.
AnswerID: 292099

Follow Up By: Redbac - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 19:13

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 19:13
Thanks for your thoughts Dio, would you think a 3.5m tinnie would be ok....empty of course?
FollowupID: 557493

Reply By: PradOz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:17

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:17
Should be no problem provided a couple things are done.

Firstly never lift the roof with the Tinnie on top. Always do so with empty racks.

Secondly, fit your racks so they run for the full width of the camper roof so they are fixed thru the sides, not short and fitted to the top.

You can make your own if you can weld or know someone who can. Just need some angle about 30 x 30 and square tube same size or slightly larger probably better to stop any sagging over time.

You cut the angle into 4 lengths about 150mm long. Cut tube so you have 4 short risers about 100 to 150mm long (or whatever height you want the racks to sit above the roof. Remember any roof hatches etc to clear them) And lastly 2 lengths the width of the roof. Weld the risers to the angle and long tube between. When you fit to the camper, you have the angle so it sits on the roof corner, and predrill thru the side and fit by short heavy duty screws. Remove screws and insert a silicone nozzle into the holes and then squirt silicone into holes and refit screws into wet silicone. When making up the rack, everything must be square and double check it all. Make the angle/risers, temp fit into place with some extra hands, double measure all to get top rack exact lengths. OR run the top tube past the edges so it isnt as a critical length. Just beware you are then overhanging the sides for towing, reversing parking etc. Gal spray all and paint to fiinish. Sounds like a lot of work but my brother did mine in one Sat morning on my first camper - was pretty easy to do.

And as to worrying about roof load, the main worry is when you lift the roof. If it is kept to similar Jayco rack size materials you have no problems. Jayco (or any othe manufacturer) will not recommend you do it, the same as they dont recommend you fit bike racks etc so they cover their bums. I seen a rack with basket, 4 bikes and only God knows what up on a camper roof at Xmas. Just make the weight in the racks , forget the basket and let the load be distributed evenly along the top bars and down the sides.

Sorry no photo of my first one avaiable. Good luck.
AnswerID: 292166

Follow Up By: PradOz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:20

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:20
The reason they only use the small angle is so you dont have screws coming thru the roof sides and inside the camper below the ceiling. 30 x 30 or 40 x 40 would do. just check your particular van first .. cheers...
FollowupID: 557515

Follow Up By: Redbac - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:47

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:47
Thanks a heap for all that info. I saw some racks on a similar van the other day so all of your info made good sense visually in my head.
I will defiantly have a go at making them, Jayco are overpriced!

Thanks again Pradoz

Cheers
FollowupID: 557621

Reply By: mowing - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:39

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:39
Rebac, As stated it will not be a problem as long as you take the tinnie off each time you raise the van. Are you going to do that each time you put the van up.....my guess is that you will not as it will be a
pain to do. If you don't take it off then you risk pushing the sides of the doors apart. If you put the van up and stand back you will see what I mean ie imagine pressure on the roof corners.
Play it safe and put it on the mitsi as that is what you will be using to
take it to the water.....

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 292176

Follow Up By: Redbac - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:50

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:50
I will take all of the above advise and look after my little van's roof, thanks for the advise Mark.

Cheers
FollowupID: 557623

Sponsored Links