Caledonia River (Gippsland High Country)

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:19
ThreadID: 55425 Views:4212 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thought I'd rub it in to anyone who has not just had a long weekend.
Had a couple of days up my sleeve in Traralgon on the weekend, so did a trip with one night camp on the Caledonia River.
I accidently found myself there over 20 years ago when I took a wrong turn along Butcher Country on the way to Wonnangatta.
I've wanted to get back in there again for years, but every time I plan it the area is closed, either recovering from fires or floods.
However, this weekend the roads were open so it was all go.
Went up through Licola, Glencairn, Black Soil Gully and Macalister River tracks, up to the top of Butcher Country and down to the Caledonia.
Not many people around. Saw one camp along the Macalister and there was one other on the Caledonia.
Came out up Dingo Hill Track to the Tamboritha Road. Then up Moroka Road and down Marathon Road. (I had to visit my ill sister in Maffra.)
There had not been much traffic in this area, as access to the Caledonia has only recently been opened.
Country was in good shape following last summer's fires. Tracks were pretty good, although some of the crossings (river and gully crossings) along the Macalister were a bit challenging to my ground clearance. The track down from Butcher, and parts of Dingo Hill are very steep and loose. A number of the switchbacks climbing up Dingo were 3 points turns in the 100.
The spot was just as magnificant and secluded as I remembered it from years ago. Could have stayed longer if work was not calling.
I hope it's not another 20 years before I can get back there.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 17:17

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 17:17
Tuck,

You didn't stop at the Pinnacles on Sunday arvo by any chance did you?

I was in a two car convoy (2x 100s T/Ds) and stopped in there about 2'ish - SWMBO thought she saw an ExplorOz sticker - when we came back from the new fire tower we were the only ones there!

Tim
AnswerID: 292120

Follow Up By: tuck 01 - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:53

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:53
Tim
We came out on the Monday.
Didn't go up to the Pinnacles.
We were on a deadline so just turned straight down Marathon Rd.
My sister has terminal cancer and is only able to get out of bed for an hour or two in the middle of the day, so we had to make sure we were at Maffra to catch her awake.
We left our camp on the Caledonia at 09.00 and got to Maffra at about 12.00 after only one 20 minute pitstop along the way.
Normally I would have run up to the Pinnacles for a cuppa stop, and probably even done a run down the Goat and back, as i love that track.
Cheers
FollowupID: 557634

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:23

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:23
Whats the trip like along Moroka Rd and especialy down Marathon Rd?
My memory recalls Marathon Rd as rough as .... and you could get caught in washouts that seemed a Metre deep as you headed down.
AnswerID: 292274

Follow Up By: tuck 01 - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:58

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:58
Sailor
Moroka from Arbuckle to Marathon Road turn off was in really good shape. Very few corrugations or potholes.

Marathon is in pretty good nick too. A few roughish patches up the top, but most of it, particularly the bottom 2/3 really good. Some of the drains on the side of the road are washed pretty deep, you certainly wouldn't want to slip off the side.

The 10km or so of Tamboritha Road from where the Dingo Hill track comes out, up to Arbuckle Junction is in the best condition I have ever seen it over about 35 years of going up that way.
Cheers
FollowupID: 557636

Sponsored Links