Rodeo Diesel Coolant Loss

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 17:07
ThreadID: 55434 Views:2200 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My 1994 Rodeo 2.8 diesel is losing or using coolant.I had the cooling system pressure tested today and unfortunately that checked out ok. I was wondering about the oil cooler / heat exchanger on the side of the motor near the oil filter. My understanding is the engine oil is water cooled.

Anyone know if its possible or probable that coolant can enter the motor here. The motor is running at its normal operating temp, oil level is unchanged but there are traces of milky oil on the filler Cap There are also some intermittent white smoke on start up but not every time. It runs fine apart from the small amounts of coolant that dissappear from the top tank of the radiator.

I am wondering if there are any other causes other than the head gasket or head. It has never got hot in its life, at least not in the lasr ten years and I am led to believe the isuzu engine doesnt have a problem with head gaskets.

So could there be a problem with the oil cooler, any ideas ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 19:36

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 19:36
Get a leak down test done....
AnswerID: 292157

Reply By: Malleerv - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:24

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:24
Do a visual check of the water pump drain hole(hole under bearing housing of water pump). These can leak and not show up with a pressure test. How much coolant are you losing over what time frame.

Matt
AnswerID: 292168

Follow Up By: kwk56pt - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 00:01

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 00:01
Thanks I will check that pump out. I am not sure exactly how much coolant is being lost. The expansion tank would usually last about a month before needing to be topped up. One trip I did 110km at 100kph without loss of water.Recently the next 100kms of city work took the expansion tank down to the min level which I think would be about 2 litres.
It has had a new radiator cap fitted. I am presently running it without topping up the radiator or expansion tank to see if it continues to lose water or stabilizes at a set level.
The problem has been with me for a couple of months
FollowupID: 557601

Reply By: Dunaruna - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:30

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:30
A little bit of cream on the inside of the oilcap is not a concern, condensation will cause that. If it's not going into the sump or leaking out externally, it's going out the exhaust, white smoke is an indication. A leakdown test should find it.
AnswerID: 292172

Sponsored Links