series 100 V8 L/cruiser 2004 (67,000Ks) Kakadu

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:22
ThreadID: 55439 Views:1866 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
On odd occasions I go to start the engine and nothing happens, just like a flat battery, turn the key off once or twice and away it goes. I thought it might have been the neutral switch but disregarded that as I do not need to touch the selector for it to work, the local large dealership were of no use. Maybe Solenoid, (under manifold. Lot's of labour, read expensive.) Maybe ignition switch? Has anyone heard of this before? Otherwise just fabulous vehicle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: age - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:29

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:29
BobV

I have same vehicle and just experieced quite similar issue as you described. Would start no worries some times, then solenoid would chatter the next to absolutely nothing the next. Ended up battery had dropped a cell - held enough charge to crank most times, but not others. Electrolyte eye on top of battery always indicated it was oik as well

Get battery tested before exploring for issue too much deeper

Cheers

A
AnswerID: 292137

Reply By: normglenda - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:50

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 18:50
Hi
I have same vehicle, 2004. Mine was battery when it did a similar thing. BUT when it would not start when battery was replaced, the 15AMP AM2 fuse( under the bonnet fuse box) was blown. When this fuse is out or is blown there is no power to the ignition. As a long shot replace the fuse and see if it makes a differance.

Another matter for your info. I had my V8 converted to LPG a month or so ago, it is a sequential vapour injection system. It goes fantastic. At this early stage of monitoring I am getting 21 lits. per 100 km on lpg.

Regards
Norm

AnswerID: 292144

Follow Up By: Member - Bob V (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 19:24

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 19:24
Norm, Touch wood, I removed the 15amp AM2 fuse as you advised, not a problem, good as gold, however on putting it back in I pushed it again to check I had it in fully as you do, and it appeared to go in another a little bit more as if there was some resistance initially and had not gone right in, and since then the engine seems to spin over much stronger, at this stage that appears to have done the trick. I have my fingers crossed and everything else.
So Norm thanks very much, I will file it away in case someone else has a similar problem

BobV
FollowupID: 559542

Reply By: Fazz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 19:25

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 19:25
Could very well be something as simple as dirty battery terminals?
I would suggest removing terminals & giving them a good clean (But don't forget your radio codes)

Cheers,
Fazz
AnswerID: 292153

Reply By: 96 GXL 80 series - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 19:34

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 19:34
Have you checked the battery connections, terminals etc? and check the Fuseable link for connection.
AnswerID: 292156

Reply By: Member - Bob V (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:16

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:16
The first time it happened I had just dropped my boat into the water at the boat ramp and I was still on the ramp and as I did not want to stay there too long and get abused I purchased a new battery from the shop that was there and away it went, so I thought it was the battery. The problem is spasmodic, may not appear for weeks and then five times in a row, I just hope when it does give up the ghost entirely I am not in bad location. Thanks for the replies
Bob V
AnswerID: 292272

Reply By: kiwicol - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:04

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:04
check out the imobaliser on the key. i was at tunnel creek a couple of months back, a bloke had the latest 70 seriies hire wagon (v8) parked it half hour later went to start it wound over but wouldnt start. All the bush mechanics all round, me included went in to help. Every one was saying fuel, i kept saying electrical, so the pump got bleed, the injectors, the filters, i cheched the relays, still no go. About an hour later the rentor took the emobilisor key from the ingition put the spare key with no emobilisor on it and started the bloody thing, took everyone by surprise. I followed the guy to Fitzroy crossing to make sure he was right, you never now with computors, i think i,ll stay with the GQ.Col
AnswerID: 292743

Sponsored Links