Oil additive SMT2

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:15
ThreadID: 55450 Views:3609 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for some input from those mechanically minded.
Chatting to the local 4WD garage today about our sons 60 Series in which the motor is getting a bit long in the tooth. As reco/changeover costs will be $5000+ he reckons his suggestion was to use a supposedly new product SMT2 or Synthetic Metal Treatment2. 10% added to oil at every change will do all sorts of things. Improved performance, reduced wear, improved fuel consumption etc etc.

I recall similar products from earlier days (Nulon??).

In the associate DVD they show an Australian Standard test rig that tests the friction/load carrying ability and the results are dramatic even to my eye.

Anyone have any experience/comments.

I reckon as long as it isn't likely to do long term damage it is probably worth a try??

And yes he does sell it himself.

Rusty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RosscoH - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:24

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:24
Isn't it amazing how we can buy all these additives that can recondition a motor, but we still have to rebuild it when it is shagged, save your money on the additives, use a good quality oil while it is still going, and put the money towards the rebuild. If it is worn out a can of expensive crap isn't going to fix it.
AnswerID: 292197

Reply By: madfisher - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:42

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:42
Sounds similar to bitron. I worked driving a concrete aggi a few years ago. One of the normally aspirated Hinos had done appox 15000hrs and was very smokey . The boss though it was glazed and sooted up.
It was treated, the oil consumtion got much worst for a while, then was driven hard to bed the rings in again and it improved markedly. This engine biggest problem was soot and carbon arround the rings from constant ilding rather than being worn out.
If you trust your mechanic (Has he got it in his car) try it
Cheersw Pete
AnswerID: 292203

Reply By: Cruiserman1961 (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 07:12

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 07:12
i have been using Nulon Dieseloil additive for years and i swear by it. My wifes patrol needed a new head gasket with 475000 km's and we could still see the honing marks in the cylinders. A good additive, good oil and new filters at every oil change will make a difference i believe.
Cheers, Udo
AnswerID: 292249

Follow Up By: Cruiserman1961 (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 07:14

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 07:14
I am not sure if it will do any good on a worn out motor though, its a bit like buying a frypan in a famine......
FollowupID: 557610

Sponsored Links