Harold Scruby Anti 4wd Rant on Sunrise TV

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 07:30
ThreadID: 55462 Views:2753 Replies:6 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
The human headline Harold Scruby had another anti 4wd rant on Sunrise TV this morning. I blame the shows producers as they need to generate some headlines and Harold is always good for that. This bloke is the boss of the "Pedestrian Council" and is basicly a one man band with a fax machine. I dont know if the NRMA still support him but we as members should be putting the pressure on them to pull out.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 07:55

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 07:55
I though Mel asked the right questions and young Harold agreed to that. Its not just 4wds but trucks and large cars and minivans etc. The 4wd tag was only a starting point to the discussion. Harold does have a gripe about the import tax on 4wds. Until our fuel changes to somethging synthetic there is not much chance that anything will be done about carbon emissions. The cities need a vast improvement in Public Transport before banning vehcikles from cities would happen. Its all just speculation.

I don't think any of these reports have much credence.
AnswerID: 292252

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 16:51

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 16:51
I agree with you there Willem, I decided to watch the interview whilst I put on my boots before work (which in reality only takes a few seconds with slip ons) and was waiting for the fwd bashing to take place. Although Mr Scrubby tried his anti4wd attack, I was quite surprised at the questions and direction that Mel took the interview. Atleast, IMO, she looked at the global issue of large vehicles and not just "gas guzzling 4wds" as Mr Scrubby wanted.

I also find it disapointing when an interviewee does not directly answer the question being asked, happened a few times (and has happened since to me today with a union boss grr), perhaps not being able to answer unprepared questions properly, but instead with rhetoric is the joys of being a puppet.
FollowupID: 557702

Reply By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:35

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:35
Just watched it here in Qld and he has no idea about vehicles in general I don't think, I seen a Porsche driving past him which probably uses heaps more fuel than the latest diesel 4WD drives.
Cheers Bruce.
AnswerID: 292256

Reply By: Lyds- Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:46

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:46
I thought Scruby was quite reasonable - surprise surprise. He was making a claim against polluters not 4WDs per se.

The other point he raised was FBT. I have my Patrol on a novated lease; if I drive at least 25000 kms a year I pay $6,000 FBT, if I drive less than that I'll have to pay somewhere around $11,000 FBT. I am therefore encouraged to drive further than I need to.

AnswerID: 292258

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:56

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:56
I have the same problem with FBT.
When it was originally started the idea was that people doing over 25,000k a year must be doing a fair few business miles, and therefore should not be taxed as much as those doing maybe 10,000k a year, which may be mostly personal kilometres.
Now that greenhouse gas is an issue, high kilometres, no matter for what use, is frowned upon by the green lobby.

FBT definitely needs revamping. If a carbon tax of some sort is brought in, some careful calculations will be required to see which is best financially :o)

Ideally all vehicles should be doing as few kilometres as possible. I know I get to January and check how many kilometres I have done, and maybe do more personal visits to clients to make sure I go over the 25,000k by April, which is wrong environmentally.
FollowupID: 557624

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:59

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:59
Only goes to show how hypercritical the government are. They want us all to reduce carbon emissions and to stop wasting fossils fuels, yet the ATO forces those of us on a Novated lease to drive more than the probably need to just to avoid the extra FBT.

Now that's responsible isn't it.

The other irony is you get a lease to salary sacrifice to lower our tax. You probably end up using the saving to pay your FBT and then there is the residual at the end. The only way to avoid paying that is to get another lease and another and another....

FollowupID: 557639

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:50

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:50
Lyds, I wonder how many people may be driving up their kilometres right at this very time because of that very regulation. There are heaps I just know, but one at this very minute, probably through Southern Queensland. Has to be Lucky out on the open road though.

Wizard I am sure that will change, I saw a comment on it in the financial media just the other day. Some of them were to have changed even if the government hadn't.
FollowupID: 557658

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:59

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:59
Try driving on a 4wd trip with someone who has a large 4wd as a salary package. They want to cruise at 120-130km/h coz their fuel is paid for! I was happy to cruise at 100km/h coz I was paying for my fuel!
I let them storm ahead, trying to keep radio contact, but I usually caught up with them at the next town when they were at a servo filing up again.
Gerry
FollowupID: 557664

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 14:58

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 14:58
The FBT issue is a problem that we have all grappled with. Instead of doing the annual rally to get Kms up on the clock I suggest you look to the log book method which can help some to lower costs and eliminate unnecessary mileage. This works on a % basis of private to business use. Again it may not help everyone but it can benefit those with low level commuting and higher business use. Cheers
FollowupID: 557682

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 15:24

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 15:24
Quote: "Lyds, I wonder how many people may be driving up their kilometres right at this very time because of that very regulation. There are heaps I just know, but one at this very minute, probably through Southern Queensland. Has to be Lucky out on the open road though."

hahahaha.....last time I spoke to one of these blokes (doing a lap of half of the big block, just so he didn't have to pay a chit-load of tax), was last night. That was after he'd just driven from Alice Springs to Mt Isa in 1 day. Prior to that he'd driven from Melb to Kadina in one day (leaving a decent sized divet on the bitumen beside the main Adelaide-Darwin/Perth railway line), then the next day he drove from Kadina to Alice. The jeepney will be ready to be put out into the spell paddock for a few months upon his arrival back home.....hahahaha

FollowupID: 557685

Follow Up By: Lyds- Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 23:34

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 23:34
Yep, this FBT "feature" is certainly an incentive to get out and see the place. I have trips to Canberra, Katooomba, and the Central Coast over the next couple of weeks to get me over the line. I'm even keeping the 31st March free just in case I fall short. Sorry Earth, but the Tax man calleth.
FollowupID: 557827

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:19

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:19
Roachie,

Can't understand doing 5k to 10k just to get the kilomoetres up.
That must be $1000.00 to $2000.00 in fuel alone, plus wear and tear. I think he needs to have another look at his tax and income.

I cut my FBT by 33% by having a car more than 6 years old.
And maintenance (and a few accessories here and there) are tax deductable. :o)
Plus it is off lease now, so I can put that money into something else.

Same with the wifes car, 74 beetle. Paid less than $2000.00 for it, so max I pay in FBT is $500.00 a year.

Know a few people buying old mercs etc as company cars. A lot less FBT, and the restoration, sorry maintenance, is mostly tax deductable.
And I don't have to do high milage to keep FBT down since the capital value is less.

Just got to be willing to drive and older car. :o)
As old as the driver is ideal. :o0
FollowupID: 557866

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 14:34

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 14:34
So Scruby was ANTI side of arguement, who was on the 4wders side?
AnswerID: 292327

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:45

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:45
These people are whose on the 4wders side
FollowupID: 557716

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:51

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:51
and here
FollowupID: 557719

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:21

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:21
so all those people were shown to MILLIONS on television, or just scruby sprouting his side of the arguement once again?
FollowupID: 557786

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:17

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:17
Dunno Truckster, I am at work at that time of the day. I would presume the later

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 557813

Reply By: Rod E B - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:02

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:02
I am a grey nomad and have updated to a RWD ford territory as most of my driving is now on the tar or graded dirt

Am I in the the same class as a 4WD or a station wagon ????

no comments about the fact that a territory may not be a 4WD please

I have a Cruiser that will soon be sold I hope

Rod
AnswerID: 292344

Reply By: Member - Brad S (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:31

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:31
Ok!...saw the TV clip...Toymota Pripus environmentally friendly!!!! Get real. It uses more and pollutes more that a small VW diesel or the Hyundai i30 diesel!
But that's not the worst...like like to see the justification for the pollution making manufacturing process. All that over refined zinc...yuk. And what happens when the batteries require replacement or the vehicle is written off...the batteries have to be returned to Japan for special recycling.

I reckon these so called electric/hybrid cars are a fraud.

I wish people would look at the whole of vehicle life factors before get all warm and glowing because they thing they've done the right thing by being sucked into the marketing who ha and PR.

BTW this technology is not that hot or new.
fossil fuel engines are still getting better results. I think Harold needs to do his homework more thoroughly and thus become more credible...and be seen as a bit more balanced. Harold...please look at all the issues not just the superficial ones or you may become an inadvertent puppet of those you seek to change.

As much as it would hurt me personally I agree with the import tax and FBT tax issues raised.

BTW...again...the most environmentally efficient to recycle is the Jeep Wrangler. I guess that gives it something to recommend it at last. (I actually like Jeeps...just not the Wrangler)

cheers

Brad
AnswerID: 292393

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:32

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:32
. . . and if you ignore the whole-of-life pollution of a Prius, the economics of it make it a dumb purchase.

After 5 years you will have to buy a new battery - for SIX THOUSAND dollars.
FollowupID: 557859

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:02

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:02
just which battery is the best Mike? :) (poor attempt to hijack the post and turn it into another battery post....)

six gees GEEEEEEZ!

FollowupID: 557864

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:17

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:17
. . . . now why did you have to change this into battery post ???

Until you did that, this thread was looking like setting a record as being the FIRST thread on Exploroz where NO-ONE deviated from the original question.
FollowupID: 557874

Sponsored Links