Connecting gps to laptop for using Ozi Explorer moving maps

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:22
ThreadID: 55490 Views:6568 Replies:7 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
I have a registered copy of Ozi Explorer and a Garman 128 GPS. I wish to connect the Laptop & Gps together so that we have moving maps when we're on the go. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to get this up and running. Sorry but I,m new to all this technology and have a lot to learn, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Rev's
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:28

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:28
Basically you need to connect the GPS NMEA output o the laptop. It can either be a serial connection (if your laptop has a serial port) or USB.
You will also need a cable to connect power to the GPS, batteries don't last long when the GPS is running continuously.
GPSOZ will be able to supply the required cable and also advise on configuration settings.
AnswerID: 292418

Reply By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:33

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:33
Does the Garmin 128 come with a data cable? from GPS to computer with a usb cable.
I have Magellan GPS and their mapping that I use on the laptop.
Anyway if you have that I am sure someone with A Garmin will set you on the right track.

Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 292421

Follow Up By: REV'S - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:12

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:12
Hi Bruce, the only cables are Power/data cable and an aerial cable, to my knowledge there are no means of connecting the gps and laptop so they can speak to each other.
Cheers rev's
FollowupID: 557811

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 17:28

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 17:28
REV

Your data cable should plug into your laptop.

What type of plug is on you data cable - serial or USB

If it is serial and you only have USB on your laptop you can purchase an adaptor. GPSOZ have them and they are not expensive.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 557952

Follow Up By: REV'S - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 22:00

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 22:00
The data cable doesn't plug into the laptop. going by following treads I need to purchase a connectiong cable as the GPS has a 7 pin plug connector which isn't compatible with the puter

Cheers REv's
FollowupID: 558035

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:37

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:37
Hello - You will probably need to provide more info as it is unclear if you have tried and failed or simply dont know where to start - there are many scenarios and therefore many answers/solutions. First thing to do is read this page and see if it helps.

OziE GPS connection support page

If this gets you no where you made need to provide the forum with details on your laptop specs, OziE Version and any details on what you have tried etc.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 292422

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:44

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:44
Also here is some tips on confirming NMEA output from Garmin 128...

Outputting NMEA

Trick will be to match settings on the device with those in OziExplorer Configuration (FILE - CONFIGURATION) - under GPS and Com tabs.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 557797

Follow Up By: REV'S - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:06

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:06
Hi Greg thanks for your reply. I just don't know where to start. I have a inspiron 6400 Dell laptop. The gps has no means of pluging into the computer, it only has an aerial cable and a Power/data cable.
I may need to visit a Gps saleperson and hope they can offer some way of connecting laptop & GPS
Cheers Revs
FollowupID: 557810

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:16

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:16
Yes, a cable will be the first step - I am not familiar with G 128 so not sure if it is usb or serial. I am also not familiar with Dell laptop so not sure if it has serial or usb connections. You may end up needing a serial to usb (or visa versa) converter which will add to the fun!

It maybe just easier to purchase a cheap USB GPS mouse (assuming your laptop has usb) and save your self a lot of time and money. These can be purchased for ~$100 and may prove cheaper than a Garmin cable plus adapter(if required).

Good luck
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 557812

Follow Up By: REV'S - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:46

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 22:46
hi Greg
looking at my computer it has USB. Maybe I'll take on your suggestion of the cheaper USB GPS mouse. Just one question, as silly as I may sound. do you know how it works, does it pickup the satalite and send the signal back to the computer? thus the moving map. Hope this doesn;t sound too wird.

Thanks again Rev's
FollowupID: 557819

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 00:22

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 00:22
Likely the cable conecting the GPS to the puter will be seriel so you will also need a seriel to usb adapter which is readily available

and basically it works like this
- the GPS knows where it is
- OZI has maps that you have loaded and referenced so OZI knows where all the coordinates are on the map
The GPS tells the computer (ozi) where you are so OZI can tell you where you are on the map.

Strongly suggest you try and find someone that knows about it locally
While it isnt rocket science there are a few things you need to know and it is best being shown them I was frustrated as hell at first
FollowupID: 557841

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:38

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:38
Hi Rev's

I note that the replies above refer to first having a comms cable.

First thing is to ensure you can talk to the GPS and load waypoints and tracks back and forth.

To do this and also set yourself up for moving map you should have to do little more than connect your 128 up to the laptop via its coms cable and go to the Ozi-explorer file menu and select configuration and under the tab marked GPS select garmin and Garmin model 128 which is already defined in the GPS list.
(Don't have a 128 - and presume it does not use a USB port - if it does you need to go to the comms tab under configuration and select garmin usb and use PVT)

Next Load up a map that covers the area your located in.

Once you know your can talk to the GPS , you just click on Ozi-explorer "Moving Map"
and then select "Start Nmea communication with the gps".

Usually a big red arrow (default indicator) will appear on the map indicating your current position.

This is pretty brief and there are other things to know , but first have a play along these lines and see how you go.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 292425

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 23:00

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 23:00
REV'S

You talk about a power/data cable.

This is the cable you use to connect the GPS to the laptop. As stated above it will have either a serial or usb end on it and a converter can fix it if your laptop is the other. Usually has a single end to plug into the GPS and the other end of the cable has two heads - one for a power socket and the other is for data into say a laptop.

Not all GPS units have data cables and I do not know about the Garmin 128. The 128 is a discontinued chart plotter which is a combination GPS and screen with nautical maps all in one. I do not know if this has an external data cable to connect with a laptop.

A USB mouse type GPS will give you moving map capability but you will not give you waypoints/route planning etc.

AnswerID: 292438

Follow Up By: REV'S - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 23:06

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 23:06
Thanks Alan,
I'll have to leave it untill tomorrow now and have a closer look at the Gps. This is a real education for me.
Cheers Rev's
FollowupID: 557825

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 23:48

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 23:48
Hi Rev's,
I have a Garmin 128GPS and have used it with my laptop running OziExplorer.
To do that you need the Garmin cable for using the GPS in a car. It has the 7 pin garmin plug and bare ends at the other end.
The thicker red and black wires go to the Car power (cig lighter, whatever socket you use)
The thin blue, black and brown wires need to be wired to a 9 pin 'D' type socket plug. Ignore the yellow, white and green wire - they are not used - just insulate their ends if you don't wish to cut them off.
You now need to purchase a USB to serial cable. It has a USB plug on one end and a 9 pin 'D' pin connector on the other. There is some electronics inside the 'D' connector and a LED that shows when its doing something. My cable came from a computer shop, got it some years ago but they should be still available.

The connections for the blue, black & brown wire to the 'D' socket are on the net somewhere, google for Garmin128 serial connection. If you have problems finding that contact me and I'll open the plug and check the wiring - can't remember what I done several years ago :-)

This works fine once you set the correct port # and the correect GPS in the OziExplorer settings.
Klaus
FollowupID: 557832

Follow Up By: REV'S - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:36

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:36
Hi Klaus,
thank you its good to speak to someone woth the same setup. Now I must try and find a computer shop that can help us out.
How can I contact you if need be?

Thanks for your help.
Rev's
FollowupID: 558026

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:55

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:55
Rev's, follow ups to my follow up go to my email and I read them there. I usually don't read posts here that have dropped off the page.
You could also email: norbert3008atmsn.com - replace the at with the symbol. I'm in Perth, BTW
Klaus
FollowupID: 558034

Follow Up By: REV'S - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 22:24

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 22:24
Hi Klaus, thanks for the info I let you know how we go.
Regards Rev's
FollowupID: 558040

Follow Up By: REV'S - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:26

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:26
Hi Klause,
I spent most of today running around, phoning many computer & electronic suppliers. I found that there aren't too many out there that have a qlue what I'm trying to do. Also because I have a marine/land GPS, Garmin wouldn't supply to a store that doesn't stock Marine units. So then I had to locate a marine shop that garmin would deal with. Finally after many hours of frustration I have on order a Garmin LE26 USB to serial cable. Now I hope I have the correct lead, should have it within the next few days. So time will tell. Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers Mary Anne
FollowupID: 558284

Follow Up By: REV'S - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:27

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:27
Hi Klause,
I spent most of today running around, phoning many computer & electronic suppliers. I found that there aren't too many out there that have a qlue what I'm trying to do. Also because I have a marine/land GPS, Garmin wouldn't supply to a store that doesn't stock Marine units. So then I had to locate a marine shop that garmin would deal with. Finally after many hours of frustration I have on order a Garmin LE26 USB to serial cable. Now I hope I have the correct lead, should have it within the next few days. So time will tell. Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers Mary Anne
FollowupID: 558285

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 14:36

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 14:36
Hi Revs, I have a Garmin 128/126. I bought a Garmin serial adaptor cable (Laptop link cable) from Johnny Appleseed. It plugs into the GPS and the normal GPS plug goes into the other end. What this gets you is a serial plug. If your laptop has a serial connection, simply plug in. If not you need a serial to usb adaptor to plug the serial cable into the GPS vis USB. You need to set the protocol in the GPS to NMEA/NMEA. You also need to set up Ozi for Garmin - (I think it is Garmin other) and then start communication with laptop. The laptop cable was around $70, the serial/usb adaptor was about $30. Using this system you can create waypoints, trips and routes on the laptop at home and upload them, you can have moving map on the laptop, and download tracks after a trip. (I also bought an external antenna which sucks onto the windscreen about the unit). Hope this helps.

Mike.
AnswerID: 292503

Follow Up By: REV'S - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:50

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:50
Thanks Mikee5, Great to speak to someone with a similar set up. You guys have been a great help. Now to find a computer shop that can set me up with the right connections.
Cheers Rev's
FollowupID: 558032

Follow Up By: REV'S - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:30

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:30
Hi Mikee5, I spent most of today running around, phoning many computer & electronic suppliers. I found that there aren't too many out there that have a qlue what I'm trying to do. Also because I have a marine/land GPS, Garmin wouldn't supply to a store that doesn't stock Marine units. So then I had to locate a marine shop that garmin would deal with. Finally after many hours of frustration I have on order a Garmin LE26 USB to serial cable. Now I hope I have the correct lead, should have it within the next few days. So time will tell. Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers Mary Anne
FollowupID: 558287

Reply By: Member - The W (WA) - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 16:03

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 16:03
A little, but valuable hint.
If you have two batteries iin the vehicle, ensure you have both the lap top and te GPS running off the same battery.
We had one off the main battery and the other off the auxilary battery.
Auxillery went flat with he two freezers running off it over a day and a night parked, so when the car tried to recharge the auxilary battery as westarted to drive it again next day it ran power thru the computer and burnt out the USB plug. There was smoke rising up in front of my face as I had the computer on my lap and I was frantically pulling cables out every where I could and they were flying about in front of me with me screamiing, "its on fire I think, quick stop" and my husband laughing at the expression on my face.
Oh well, we got that sorted but it was an expensive lesson.
I have warned many people of this since and found they too have had things running off different batteries even though they were connected to each other in one way or another.
Just like our GPS and lap top computer.
Moving map is just fantastic and I would NEVER be without it, not in a town nor outback in the magical never never.
Have fun and good luck.
The Watto's.
AnswerID: 292678

Follow Up By: REV'S - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:15

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:15
Thanks for the warning, I will remember your advise.
Cheers Mary Anne
FollowupID: 558277

Sponsored Links