Kid friendly car

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 17, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 555 Views:1950 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Just discovered that another addition to family is imminent. This will result in 3 under the age of 3 and a half (I know, yes we should buy a TV !!!). Whilst this will change a lot of things, one of the essentials is trading our trusty old 4 Runner in for a larger 3 kid friendly car. Because all 3 will be in either a booster seat, capsule or baby seat for a while, we need some good advice regarding the best way to go with a new vehicle. Baby bolt positioning, child access and safety, fuel economy and handling are all priorities. (Its gotta be an auto too, the wife cant drive a manual). We were thinking about a Pajero or Jackaroo but there just doesnt seem to be enough room for all plus prams. Budget is under 20 k.
Thanks for the tips if any!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alex - Monday, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Robb, I know the dilemma you face. I had my Defender set up for 2-person touring, and now have to re-fit seats etc. for the youngster. Given your budget and transmission constraints, I think both the Pajero and Jackaroo would do the job quite well for you. Another option to consider is a Landrover Discovery, if you can find a diesel auto 4door in your price range. A big advantage here is that the rear seats are considerably higher than the front ones which improves the kids vision and helps keep them interested and entertained. I wouldn't advise getting a Defender, despite the size and load area, as they are only manual, and some people find them an ergonomic disaster area. Maybe an older landcruiser 60 series? In any of the vehicles discussed, the fitting of a cargo barrier behind the rear seat will let you stack prams/pushers/etc higher than the seat back and fit a surprising amount of gear in. Hope all this helps somewhat, and doesn't confuse you too much. Cheers, Alex
AnswerID: 1453

Reply By: Roger Lowry - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Robb,
Look into purchasing a dual cab ute they are really tremendous as kid transport with plenty of room in the rear for gear. With a canopy they offer loads of weather proof space. The only trouble is that the wife would probably have to learn to drive a manual. You get all this for under 20k.
Regards Dodg
AnswerID: 1458

Reply By: Josephine - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Robb. We've travelled far and wide starting when our oldest was 22 months and then with the two kids aged 11mths and 3.5yrs in a 720 dualcab ute. They used up all available space including the backs of our seats. We now have a GU Patrol needed for the extra leg room of 17yo & 14 yo It might pay to look at an old Nissan Patrol as they have a reputation for being a sturdy reliable car and have a bit more width than some others. Other than that a 7 seater may be the way to go. It would also pay to try fitting three booster seats across the rear seats to check available space for the children and invest in or make bags to fit over the back of your chairs, they help a lot. Good Luck!
AnswerID: 1459

Sponsored Links