Report on Ezygo Outboard Motor Transporter and Cradle

Submitted: Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 16:05
ThreadID: 55538 Views:7258 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
On this other thread I posted some information on what appeared to be a pretty good new product to help with loading and carrying an outboard motor when travelling.

I had a good look at the device today at the Gold Coast 4WD and Caravan Show and had a chat with the inventor / manufacturer, Gary Bilston and his wife Lyn.

The device is well made and all metal parts are Stainless Steel. Operation is very easy and the effort required to lift the motor and trolley and to slide it into place is quite small. For example, Lyn was able to do it easily with one hand.

The cradle bolts to the floor of the vehicle (or draw bar of CT / Caravan). A strong stainless steel retaining bolt (with wing nut welded on top for easy hand use) securely connects the trolley to the cradle. With the way it is designed, the motor and trolley are very securely held in place for travel. There is provision to add a padlock for security when the motor is carried outside the vehicle; on draw bar of CT for example.

The version of Ezygo shown on the Ezygo website is 1400mm long. For most applications, a 1220mm long version will work well. With the smaller 1220mm) one, the space taken up by the Ezygo and motor is not a lot more than the motor alone.

Gary had one fitted to the rear of a Land Cruiser wagon (rear seat folded) and it worked very well.

I was sufficiently impressed to order one on the spot to fit in the canopy of my new Land Cruiser ute. I was concerned that my motor (a 20 HP Yamaha, weighing about 50KG) would be a bit hard to get in and out of the LC ute, with it's extra hight compared with the Hilux. With a small modification Gary agreed to do, the 1220mm model will work well for me. I dropped back an hour later on my way out and Gary mentioned that he had sold another with the same modification for another tray back.

While it might not suit everybody, if you are looking for a way to make loading and carrying an outboard motor easier, have a look at the Ezygo - it might solve your problem.

As stated on the other thread, I have no affiliation with this business - only saw the product for the first time today. Just passing on information on what seems to be a useful and well made Australian product.

Norm C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 17:49

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 17:49
Norm,

I would suggest you confirm how the Yammy should be carried when in a horisontal position, either via the manual, or with the manufacturer/agent.

My Merc has a sticker on it showing you need to lay the motor sideways with the control yoke underneath.

The Ezygo product looks good but I would question the motor being laid on its back.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 292691

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 17:55

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 17:55
Done that. I am assured by Service Department at Yammy dealer that with a 2 stroke it is not a problem.
FollowupID: 558204

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 18:01

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 18:01
Sandman, after your post, I rang a second dealer just to be sure. Again, he confirmed that it is not a problem, so I'm happy.
FollowupID: 558205

Follow Up By: Bros 1 - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:13

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:13
Sand man,
I have carried both Yamaha 15's and now an 18 Tohatsu on their back in a box for many years and have experienced no problems. Took a Yammy up to Cape York for four weeks on it's back and no problems.
Don't think i would like to leave one stored on it's back for a long time though.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 558356

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 11:19

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 11:19
Forgot to mention in the report above that the weight of the cradle and trolley is a bit over 20KG. Enough to consider in any decisions on how to carry the outboard, but probably not enough to become a barrier in most cases.

Norm C
AnswerID: 292797

Sponsored Links