evacool poly vs fibrglass? and lid warp in heat?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 19:37
ThreadID: 55545 Views:3985 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all again.
Looking at a fridge for a boat and was thinking the poly version of evercool would be tougher.
I realise they are a tad heavier and less efficient. But mate said go fibreglass due to the expansion of poly with heat?
I do know my poly esky lid fits very well when not in use but when it is full of ice and inside is cold and the lid is in the sun say 30C + the top of lid must expand while the cool inner side does not leading to the lid to bow and not seal so well.
The lid returns to normal shape when the inner + outer lid temps become more simialar.
Not such a big deal realy but dont want a fridge doing this and gobbling up battery power.
Any thoughts or experince?
Regards GN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garryk - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 20:23

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 20:23
G'day GN
We have had a Evakool fridgemate , the yellow one for about 6 months now and used for about 6 weeks so far , and no such problem has occured
Used in back of the Pathy and has got up to 42 deg. C
Garry
AnswerID: 292717

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 20:43

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 20:43
Thanks Garry
i think that perhaps the temp of the esky lid maybe getting much hotter that the day temp due to being in direct sun????
So perhaps the material / quality of the evacool poly box is better or the actual temp of the outer lid skin inside the vehical is making the difference.
Regards GN
FollowupID: 558246

Reply By: obee - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 09:06

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 09:06
I got the yellow one because I can stand on it and its cheaper. I dont care what its going to look like either after some rough handling. The fibreglass ones take advantage of the insulative property of fibreglass and they dont need as much insulation. Thinner walls, look better and more expensive. I would consider getting a bag made up if you want the thing to stay pretty.

owen
AnswerID: 292784

Reply By: warfer69 - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 02:56

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 02:56
I have the RF60 fibreglass,no problems with sitting on the lid at all...

You can buy a cover for it and i find it affective..

Cheers
AnswerID: 293046

Sponsored Links