hilux,surf,4 runner are they the same thing

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 13:35
ThreadID: 55558 Views:3317 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, still working on the son's 4 runner.

Does any one know if there is a constant between the 3, For example does a rear step off a hilux fit a surf or 4 runner.

Will a 85 rear step off a hilux fit straight onto a 92 4 runner.

Just trying to source components and there is not much out there for 4 runners.

baldman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Louie the fly - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 15:04

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 15:04
Hi baldy. I have a 92 4runner and agree, there is not much around for them. Good vehicle for what they are I reckon.

1. Does any one know if there is a constant between the 3, For example does a rear step off a hilux fit a surf or 4 runner.

They are basically same except that 4runner did not have a turbo diesel option. Surf is similar to 4runner cept a grey import. Hilux share many components with both 4runner & surf. Surf had 2.4 td available. Surf prone to overheating as far as i'm aware. not sure about the rear step dut i doubt it.

2. Will a 85 rear step off a hilux fit straight onto a 92 4 runner.

85 is a gen 1, 92 is a gen 2. Very different in lots of ways. Not much from a gen 1 fits a gen 2.

my 92 2.8D is a tough, reliable, fuel efficient, go anywhere slug, but i like it.
AnswerID: 292812

Follow Up By: baldman - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 15:11

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 15:11
Louie,

thanks for the info,

Son's runner is the 3 litre V6. It is absolute stock and I took it out to Kinglake a few weeks ago and admist the laughter of my mates it made it every where except one bog hole. They all have air lockers fitted. I was very impressed with the crawling capability down hill in low gear and low range.

The intention is to put 33" rubber on it with a lift kit and a rear diff locker.

By all looks it will be a fairly capable rig.

Although I am pushing the boy to give it a transplant as the V6 is as slow as a slug.

baldman
FollowupID: 558385

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 15:30

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 15:30
mine is basically stock cept for a 2 inch lift, kaymar swing out rear wheel carrier, 90l tank and home made shelf. last october we went to fraser island. i extracted my mate's gu patrol on several occasions.

i think a 90's hilux bullbar may fit a gen 2 ifs 4runner but still trying to work that out. if it doesn't fit i'll make it fit. have you's considered going the front diff lock instead of the rear?

have a look here. yankee but some good info.4runner forum
FollowupID: 558389

Follow Up By: baldman - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 17:00

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 17:00
Seriously thought about which axle to put the lockers on and came to the conclusion that most time both the back wheels will be in contact with the ground. Figure they will be of better use pushing up rather than the front pulling up.

Thought about an auto locker on the rear but they will come into affect after he is in trouble where the air locker will be hopefully put on before he gets into touble

time will tell if I am right or wrong
FollowupID: 558403

Follow Up By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 13:06

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 13:06
Just be careful what size tyres/wheels you put on. My mate had a 2.8l D hilux which he put big wheels and tyres on. He did one trip, mind you it was a month long and 13 or 14,000 km long. About half way through the trip he ended up with a gear box whine. Mechanic said it was due to the extra labour and stress the tyres placed on the gearbox.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 558528

Sponsored Links