OT. Doctors in country towns

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 19:07
ThreadID: 55565 Views:2161 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I've been putting a fair bit of work into improving the services in a country town. Spent two years, and finally managed to get a Pharmacy established.

Then started to look at a Medical Centre and Bendigo Bank. As far as the latter is concerned, we're almost there.

However, as many of you will know, attracting a Doctor to a small town isn't easy. It's also a very complicated process.

Any of you out there had experience in establishing a Medical Centre?

Regards

Kim

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 19:13

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 19:13
Kim,

In down town Calliope they are just doing the finishing touches to the Doctors surgery at the new local shops. It is actaully part of the main doctors surgery in Gladstone that has expanded out to here. The pharmacy is already established and we are also about to get a bank (just need a few more signatures etc).

I can find out more details through work if you need more info on what the community did to attract the doctor to come out here.

Cheers Kev

PS the new Pizza shop (Eagle Boys) should open in the next week or so as well so we are living it up at the moment ha ha
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 292842

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 19:26

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 19:26
kev

That would be great. I've spoken to a developer who has offered a very good lease, but the fit out cost is a problem.

The community have come up with $560,000 in pledges for the Bank, so its going to hard to get any more money out of the town.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 558447

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 19:29

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 19:29
We have come close with pledges need about another 50 - 80K.

I will find out how much the fit out cost and possibly plans if needed.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 558448

Follow Up By: Steve Ellis - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 21:48

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 21:48
Talk to the people at Bulahdelah NSW. They went through this exercise a while ago. Google is your friend. Willem told us that. He is correct.
FollowupID: 558494

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 22:14

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 22:14
Steve

I wish it was that easy.

Are you talking about the Myall Lakes region, or have I got it wrong? Thanks for your help.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 558497

Follow Up By: Steve Ellis - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:30

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:30
Yes I know it is not easy and yes it is near Myall Lakes.
FollowupID: 558522

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 18:05

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 18:05
Kim,

sounds like some great projects you have going on there.

May I suggest a couple of sites to start from:

Naional Rural Health Network

national rural health alliance

rural health

these groups are involved with the issues of trying to get health professionals working in rural environments. They offe rmany schloarships and the likes for those that wish to work in rural settings.

Good luck
AnswerID: 292950

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 19:23

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 19:23
Gidday Mike

Coincidently I had a call from a Doctor early this morning. Met up with him and a few others this afternoon. Had a long chat to discuss all the issues.

It comes back to financial support. Bit of head scratching on the way home, but I think there may be a way around this. Time will only tell.

Thanks for the links.

Regards

Kim

FollowupID: 558577

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:16

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:16
Kim,

no problems.

Unfortunately it always comes back to the dollar value, nevermind the benefit and need of such a service. It sounds like you may have the doctor bit organised, otherwise there is always the possibility of looking at a suitably qualified nursing staff, as many work in rural settings and are upskilled to be able to deal with the needs of a rural community in place of a full time doctor. With technology today, access to doctors for more indepth consultations from remote medical centres is really only a computer and a subscription away (i have a friend who is currently looking at remote doctor access via satellite and web for some very remote mines in PNG, looks and sounds very interesting).

One of the girls I currently work with has just left her position within the national rural health network here in Perth. If you like, I can ask her if she has any ideas or places to contact that may have been in simlair predicaments in the past.

Good luck with the project

Mike
FollowupID: 558611

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:36

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:36
Mike

That sounds very interesting and something I did'nt know about.

Ask her to drop me a line on (03) 97055467 during business hours. Many thanks.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 558617

Sponsored Links