1992 Jackaroo

Submitted: Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 16:17
ThreadID: 5561 Views:2151 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just found this great site- my 1992 Jackaroo petrol auto going OK at 210,000K's- but do I just keep driving and replace as something breaks/wears out?- want to do more off road in future-have been around the Centre 5 weeks off road with no prob's- or should I start looking at newer Toyota/Nissans etc as JacK's don't seem to be so popular. Many thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:22

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:22
Tony T

Do you have a love of losing money?

If so, buy a new 4wd and watch it shrink in value. ( I did 5 years ago, & have 'lost' $ 5,000 per annum since. But I'm happy with the vehicle & plan to keep it another 5 years or more)

If not, keep the Jack & spend a few $'s on a few luxuries that you always said you were gunna get, or replace/repair what needs it, & keep on keeping on. If the Jack works for you, hang what the locals or others drive...................as the Nike ad says, JUST DO IT [i.e. don't worry about what is popular]

Have funRick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 23077

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 21:29

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 21:29
tony T
I go along with the others here, if you own It and it does what you want KEEP IT! the only thing un popular about the jackaroo is that holden didnt advertise the living daylights out of the product like toyota and Nissan.at work we have a 1992 model manual with well over 450,000 klm on the clock with original motor & gearbox. you will be hard pushed to find people that havnt been happy with them, I have just bought a 2000 jackaroo diesel 5 speed from the company (they sacked the guy that had the car so sold it off)that I have now driven for a few months for work, am very happy! had a rodeo for work & was sad to see it go. Izusu makes very good trucks!
FollowupID: 15312

Reply By: Precy Prado - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:56

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:56
Hi Tony

I was thinking the same thing about 2 years ago.I had a 91 Jackaroo SWB,the old shape and it was a great little truck,just needed a suspension upgrade to smooth out the bumps,but over all did the job for me ,including some pretty rugged hills I thought it would not get up.Any way,I decided to trade it in on a new 2001 diesel Prado.I've had it for about 18 months now and apart from a loan hanging over my head I don't think that I am much better off.Sure it rides well and I save a fair bit on fuel cost and I will eventullly own it in a couple of years, but $43,000 is a fair bit to shell out for a bit of comfort when a new set of springs and shocks would have done the job.Isuzu make a pretty good product,my first 4WD was a Isuzu KB40 ute and it took me to the tip of Cape York without a care.Don't get sucked into believing that Toyotas are the only way to go just because every one else has got one.The only real advantage I think over a Jackaroo is the re-sale value on the Tojo (just look in the yards or the paper).Think carefully before you upgrade to another brand ,those old Jacks get in your blood.

Percy Prado

AnswerID: 23086

Reply By: TonyT - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 19:17

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 19:17
Bugger- I knew you guys would remind me about the money- wise words though and thanks. I sure can buy a lot of fuel for $40 grand. Cheers TonyT
AnswerID: 23087

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:22

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:22
gday tony and welcome to the site.
if your not having any probs with your fourby so farjust keep it.
if you do update you will probably still have to do a lot of things like susspention upgrades ect any way so why not do it to your jack.
looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 23091

Sponsored Links