cape york

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:40
ThreadID: 55618 Views:1831 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, currently planning 2 wk trip to tha cape "From Port Douglas to the tip". We have a couple of camper trailers comming and i have a Tray Top Camper that weighs 1 Tonne loaded with gear. Question are we likely to have any problems with that big a weight if so will tent it and leave camper home.
Camper puts us well over the limit and raises the centre of gravity considerably? Thanks for your help.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:36

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:36
You havent said the time of year, but in general you should be fine.
I am not sure of any vehicle that has goes to The Cape or anywhere on a major trip which is of legal loading.
I am overloaded every single time with heaps of roof rack weight and no problems "yet".
Even if you go via the OTL you will be fine because you can go around Gunshot and Bridge Creek if you need to,, as they are the only two that can be difficult at times.
AnswerID: 293079

Follow Up By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:17

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:17
Towie
Bridge Creek and Nolans Brook are one and the same.

These days Nolans Brook seems to be the common term but a lot of folk still call it Bridge Creek, however the bridge (log) is a longtime gone, possibly helped by the Gall boys and the (Kedron)caravan they took up the track back in 2002, it was seen and heard to have cracked the bridge in the video footage of their crossing it.

The creek has been the downfall of a lot of egos over the years, as it can be deep and soft sand on the bed, take all precautions.

One of our convoy lost traction due to the car semi floating and then sunk. 3 hours later we got him going again after removing the glow plugs and flushing the water out of the cylinders. Not happy Peter.
Colin
FollowupID: 558850

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:50

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:50
Towie

I agree. You have a tough vehicle and should have few worries.

I would however get a set of top quality shockers fitted, and may be a pair of Polyairs to prevent bum drag.

Make sure the people with camper trailers have shockers on them - otherwise they better carry spares for their back shocks. Even going the OTL track there will still be many many BIG corrugations.

Happy planning
Max
AnswerID: 293096

Reply By: Member - The W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:24

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:24
Hi,
Have a lovely trip.
We did it and had a great time. Were in a 100 series Land Cruiser with a PHOENIX All Terrain caravan (not an off roader but an all terrain) and it went fine. Of course we did not go on the Telegraph Track section but the Bypass track and it was fine.
This is a 16 ft caravan and is 3 tonne when fully loaded, tools, lots of foods and buckets or water if you know what I mean.
So I can't see you having a problem.
We called in at Mareeba Rodeo Grounds when we came back and they had lots of water and invited us to wash the car and van which was wonderful. Good camping set up there, powered or unpowered.
Cheers,
The Watto's.
AnswerID: 293429

Sponsored Links