Mt Pinnibar/Davies Plain Hut

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:46
ThreadID: 55619 Views:3937 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi ,

We are off to Jindabyne this weekend and (if the weather stays dry), are hoping to have a look at Mt Pinnibar and Davies Plain Hut. This will be a day trip from Jindabyne. Can anyone advise whether a loop out to Mt Pinnibar, then down the Mt Pinnibar track to the Mt Hope Rd, across through Mt Murphy historic area, then north on Davies Plain Track back to Tom Groggin would be a good trip ? We are not into extreme 4wd at all, but do love the high country, the views, air and solitude (although being Easter, doubtful whether there will be much of that?) Parks Victoria think it would involve about five-six hours driving.

Any tips for crossing the Murray at TG?

We have 2 Land Rovers (Disco 2 and 3).

Thanks very much
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:05

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:05
>would involve about five-six hours driving.

I reckon it'll be all of that.

Whilst not extreme there are some significant climbs and descents on that trip and the track can be quite rocky - not a track for beginners or any vehicle without low range. Additionally this is remote country (although probably a few people around at Easter) so ensure you have comms of some sort. A chainsaw would not go amiss too.

>Any tips for crossing the Murray at TG?

Do not drive straight across instead take a wide arc downstream. Given the lack of rain lately the crossing should be easy.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 293072

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:06

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:06
outthere,

I would be inclined to go in the other direction.
From Jindabyne Alpine Way to the Tom Groggin crossing. As Mike has said don't drive in a straight line from entry to exit but a wide arc on the down stream side. You will see where the water runs over the rocks by the ripple effect.

Once you have crossed the river turn left and follow Davies Plan track. This will take you past Davies Hut, a good stop for smoko. Continue on and you will go through Charlie Creek. About 2klm after that there is an intersection, turn right, this will take you to Buckwong Hut. Continue on the track. You will come to a intersection that is sign posted Mt Murphy Historic Area, turn left.

When you leave Mt Murphy you will have to back track to the intersection, continue straight ahead. This will take you to the Mt Hope Rd. When you reach the Mt Hope Rd turn right.

The Mt Hope Rd will take you to the turn off to Mt Anderson. At this point you will have to decide if you have enough time to go to Mt Pinnibar. If you have enough time turn left to Mt Anderson, If not continue straight ahead on the Mt Hope Rd. this will take you onto the Tom Groggin Tk. Follow this track all the way. There are some steep descents and can be narrow in sections. This will bring you back to the Murry River Crossing. Cross the river and follow the track back to the Alpine Way, turn right for Jindabyne.

If you still have time turn left off the Mt Hope Rd at the MT Anderson turn off and this will take you through to Mt Anderson and follow the signs to Mt Pinnibar.

After you have reached the trig point at the top of Mt Pinnibar back track to a "Y" intersection, turn left, this will take you down the Pinnibar Track to Tom Groggin Station. This has some very steep sections and even if it looks like rain don't attempt this track. The last section is the steepest and is all clay.

At the bottom of the decent there is a "T" intersection, turn right, this will take you back to another "T" intersection, turn left, follow this track. This will also bring you back to the Murry River Crossing.

From Jindabyne I would allow at least 8 hours to get you back to the Murry River Crossing.

This is a beautiful part of Victoria but don't let the beauty fool you.
The tracks can be steep, trees can fall across the track, and oncoming vehicle can also hazardous. Motor bikes can also be upon you very quick.

Also be on the look out for a white Troopie with a few vehicles following, that will be me.

Image Could Not Be Found

Wayne
AnswerID: 293081

Reply By: outthere - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:20

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:20
I'm thinking this is biting off more than we can chew - I want to enjoy and not be anxious about being off the track before dark. I also hate clay and will definitely not be anywhere nearby if even a hint of rain. Having just spoken to Parks Vic at Tallangatta, they suggested just Mt Pinnibar , Mt Anderson, then north via the Tom Groggin track. This is heaps shorter and about the same time as Mt Pinnibar return (if we just go out the way we came in). Wayne, would you recommend this in an anti clockwise direction too?

If it is a choice between Pinnibar and the Davies Plain Track (say as far as the D.P. hut then retrace steps to TG), which would you recommend?

Wayne, I see your photo has Great Divide Tours logos - do you by any chance lead the escarpment Escape trip (which we did last year)?
AnswerID: 293085

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:49

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:49
outthere,

I assume this is you first trip in this area, and I would bet not the last.

So that you can get a feel for the area and have a bit of a challenge with out rushing, I would do the first part of the trip that I described.

Cross the Murray River Turn, left, follow the direction on the MT Hope Rd up to the Mt Anderson Turn off.

Continue straight ahead from this point and come down the Tom Groggin Tk until the Murray River Crossing.

Don't do the Mt Pinnibar part of the trip. Do this on another trip once you see what it is like there.

If you want to do the Mt Pinnibar part of the trip, cross the Murray turn right and follow this track until you reach the MT Hope Rd. This way the Mt Anderson turn off will be on your right. Follow the trip notes from this point that I described.

I don't usually do the one or two day trips for GDT any more. I tend to do the longer outback trips and the Vic High Country.

Wayne
FollowupID: 558714

Reply By: outthere - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:05

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:05
Thanks so much. Will definitely do as you suggest - as you say there will be plenty more trips. I have been visiting K. National park for 40 years, but have never been off road in the alpine area (am a walker). Obviously there's lots to look forward to.

I guess there are lots of Waynes out there - the one that took our trip was great too.

Thank you (and Mike) again.
AnswerID: 293091

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:12

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:12
A wise decision.

Enjoy, it's God's own country up there :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 558716

Reply By: outthere - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:15

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:15
Just rereading your post Wayne and clarifying, do you mean to head south on the Davies Plain Track, then west to Mt Murphy, then onto Mt hope Rd and home viaTom G. track?
AnswerID: 293093

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:31

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:31
outthere,

What you said in one sentence is basically what I took a post to say. The directions are right, just follow the map and road signs.

There are 3 drivers who work for GDT with the name Wayne. I would think that you went with Wayne and Jenny.
The other thing is that we all have beards and drive Landcruisers.

Wayne
FollowupID: 558734

Reply By: Izey76 - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 00:40

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 00:40
Hi outthere what day will you be doing this track as I will be down there this weekend as well with my 4wd club and we are doing a trip up to Davies plain on the Sunday,
we are staying at Geehi for the weekend so keep an eye out for me in a white patrol with EO wheel cover and three kids hanging out the car

Hope you have a good trip
Cheers
Clint
AnswerID: 293262

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 13:48

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 13:48
Clint,

I will be on that part of the track as well.

Depending on where I will camp but I will hope to be at Davies Hut for smoko and on the Murray River for lunch and a swim on Sunday.

Wayne
FollowupID: 558973

Follow Up By: Izey76 - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:28

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:28
I will keep an eye out for you Wayne I will probably be having smoko around davies plain aswell.

Cheers
Clint
FollowupID: 559121

Reply By: outthere - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 06:53

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 06:53
hey, it looks like anyone who's anyone is heading that way this weekend!!!

We'll be doing the Davies Plain bit on Saturday and we also will have a gaggle of kids and grandma. Friday and Sunday we'll be on the bobsled or wandering up Mt K. or Mt Townsend.

see ya!
AnswerID: 293268

Sponsored Links