Tirfor winch Giant Hook

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:06
ThreadID: 55622 Views:2494 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all.
The Tirfor style winch was designed for lifting as well as pulling, and I assume the giant hook on the end of the cable is great for lifting purposes, but seems a tad too large for hooking onto shackles or rated tow points.
Is there any good reason not to cut the thing off, and just use the eye in the cable that the hook currently attaches to, and discard the extra kilos and bulk the hook comprises?
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:14

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:14
Ian,

I know the brand of hand winch that you are talking about, but I am having a senior moment and can't think of its name.

The hook is big but a 4.75 rated shackle should fit onto the hook. Unscrew the pin and fit the shackle that way. I don't think the hook will fit if you try and clip it over the shackle.

The shackle can then be used to attach the hook to a recovery point.

The hook could be removed but I would try and keep it as it was designed.

Wayne
AnswerID: 293084

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:20

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:20
Hi Wayne,
Sorry I made it vague, you're not having a senior moment. My winch is a Tirfor TU16, but I grouped the similar ones in by using the words "Tirfor Style" meaning designed for lifting and hauling.
I tried it on the weekend and only one third of the hook fits into the rated shackle, which would lessen the allowable load.
At least by removing it, I can get the full rating in use.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 558710

Reply By: Ted (Cairns) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 13:09

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 13:09
Hi Ian

That's exactly what I did on a black rat one - removed the hook (had to cut it off as I did not want to re-do the cable) and replaced it with a shackle. From memory the pin on a 4.7t shackle is too large but the one on a 3.25t fits perfectly. Anyway as 3.25t is ample on a manual winch.
AnswerID: 293101

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 15:01

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 15:01
Been looking at doing the same to the useless hook on my ARB hand winch so I can use a shackle - will a hacksaw cut through the hook, or did you need to use an angle grinder or similar to cut through it?

Can't for the life of me understand why they insist on selling a hook designed to be slipped over CABLE for 4WD recovery purposes.
FollowupID: 558987

Sponsored Links