2. Site changes+ dieselgas

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 01:31
ThreadID: 55655 Views:2626 Replies:9 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
David, I can't recognise the ExplorOz site now. Flamin adds and distractors and warnings hell west and crooked. Crikey mate, I've only absented for a short while, but it does seem very commercial now. (Read 'cold'). Maybe you would consider a quick google of the FornoBravo site. (Pizza ovens, and much, much more.)
But before I'm ex-communicated, one last twin request, if I may.
1a. Have any of you had any dealings with the Canadian Hydrogen Energy Company? I have, and have found them most reclusive. So

1b.Any feed-back on Diesel/Gas Australia, re unit efficiency, stability,general level of satisfaction, after-sales interest.
Thanks eh.
Jeff.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jim from Best Off Road - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:07

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:07
Jeff,

David and Michelle have children to feed and a mortgage to pay just like the rest of us.

This site is their business, ie their income. More advertising equals more income. Reward for hard work. Return on investment. etc, etc, etc.

Regards,

Jim.

AnswerID: 293270

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:10

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:10
Jim,
I've thought a lot about your post, and I respect your measured response. And good on Dave and Michelle.

Tonight I watched Wendy Harmer's show, "Stuff", and it reminded me why I have a sub pathological loathing of advertising.
Mate, you can see that my ute is pretty ordinary. Nearly six years old now, and has probly spent two of them as a mobile home. Two trips to WA, two to Tassie, four over Big Red, and countless in W. Qld, not to mention our old home in FNQ eh.

Compare that with many rigs, possibly nudging a six figure bill, that are mere status symbols. Show ponies: the victims of advertising.Go nowhere, do nothing, (And still manage to screw up).And we both know that one or two are driven by mugs, tru?
I'd best leave it, but before I go, I did buy an engine saver from the Lad in Innisfail, thanks to his ads on EO, an exhaust from Beaudesert Exhausts, and that bloke in Alice seems genuine.
Apart from that it's been a combination of word-of-mouth and ingenuity.
I guess what I'm saying Jim is that some humans thrive on advertising, some don't. Some are flamboyant, others tread softly.
In order my friend, I don't, I'm not and I do.
Safe travel Jim: I was surprised, that's all.
Jeff H.
FollowupID: 559100

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:13

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:13
I agree with the comments re the site - used to be really good to read most of the posts before the changes - now you have to search around the distractors to find interesting posts.
AnswerID: 293271

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:21

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:21
Jeff,

LOL good to have you back.

AnswerID: 293273

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:27

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:27
It's not the cover on the book but what's inside that makes for a good read. As for the C.H.E.C. LINK I'd never heard of them until now. Must say that their web site is pretty good though and lot's of info readily available.
AnswerID: 293290

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:34

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:34
DIO,
I would have posted their address around November. Easy to miss.
Interesting technology, but as I implied back then, it's only stop-gap. I can't believe that Aust is to get one of the fuel-cell/petrol hybrids from America: I felt that was a good 10 years distant.
Jeff.
FollowupID: 559105

Reply By: uneekwahn - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:29

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:29
download the web browser firefox and install an add-on to it called AdBlock Plus.

I haven't seen an advert on the web for years !
AnswerID: 293302

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 19:45

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 19:45
It does not block everything but is effective for this site,I havnt come across an ad yet....I have to assume people are copping the pop-up ad ?????

Cheers
FollowupID: 559053

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:24

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:24
Makes a big difference performance wise :)))

FollowupID: 559066

Follow Up By: Brian (Montrose, Vic.) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 21:53

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 21:53
What pop up add?
Never used anything but Firefox to view this site..
hahahaha
FollowupID: 559095

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 14:34

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 14:34
G'day Jeff
I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen a post or reply from you in a while, and was wondering what had happened. Thought you must have been banished somewhere along the way.
Good to see you're still around.
Cheers from the Moose
PS Sorry - can't answer you query.
PPS - Regarding fornobravo - where you alluding to the forum's lack of adverts and the split into various categories? Comments along your lines have been bandied about on and off for a while now. Mate you should have seen the hullabaloo when it first changed:-) You get used to it.
AnswerID: 293339

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:48

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:48
Moose,
It took quite a while to get the hang of their system, but once you do, it is just so easy.I guess that reflects James' time in silicon valley.I'd guess he's not much older than David, but has pretty well stocked larders, and the sense to get out. (BASTARD!!)
Certainly a respectful, informative and smooth-running site, and I'm richer for the encounter.
Mate, you should see the fodder that pizza oven turns out. (Burrp! 'Scuse me. And the Taste!) Just call me Chubby, eh.
Jeff H.
FollowupID: 559107

Reply By: seven - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 17:31

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 17:31
Well Jeff, ta ta and away you go, david & Michelle have had to work hard and its 2008 mate, if people want to advertise on this site, it must mean it will be seen and that its a worthy site for there products, keep up the good work David & Michelle I like your site, its helped plenty of people get out and see Australia where normally they would not go due to inexperience.
It wil be going along time after Jeff has gone, don't be a sook mate and enjoy the site

Seven.
AnswerID: 293382

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:13

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:13
Hello Seven.
Thanks for your input, it helps me understand some of the antics I see when people become separated from hot showers and aircon.
Perhaps you're programmed to devour advertising. Perhaps I see that as appalling. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Perhaps I haven't worked hard. Perhaps I have enjoyed Perfect Health. Perhaps I've never even been off the bitumen without a Wet Nurse. (Sigh!!) Ahem.
(Sorry: the mind wanders when it's bored).
As for 'ta ta and away you go', so how did you know I was a geriatric? Are you a nurse? How did you access my files? How did you know that our next jaunt through Giles from Alice to Laverton was imminent?
Seven! So many questions, and I look forward to all your answers.
You stay active eh.
Fond regards,
Jeff H.
FollowupID: 559115

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:13

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:13
Sorry Seven,
Have forgotten how to access Member profiles; chuck me a lifeline please mate: I'm hungry to see your travels/rig, eh.
Always something to learn from others.
Jeff.
FollowupID: 559135

Reply By: Member - Lost Dog(WA) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 21:06

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 21:06
They probably wouldn't need all of the ads if everyone was a member on here. Now watch the whingers come out of the woodwork.
AnswerID: 293454

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:01

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:01
LOL that almost qualifies you as a "racist" around these parts.

FollowupID: 559096

Follow Up By: Member - Lost Dog(WA) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:21

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:21
Shhhh Gramps. You'll scare the fish.
FollowupID: 559101

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:08

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:08
Lost Dog you Mongrel!
Is that your bro on the back of me ute?
(Found'im near Cooktown, eh. Be a big bugger when he grows up, no lie).
Mate, I was going to ask which state "Seven" is a member from (Too lazy to trawl, eh.) Best I ask him meself.
Gees I'm dense. Hahaha. (Royalties to Gramps).
Jeff.
FollowupID: 559134

Follow Up By: Member - Lost Dog(WA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:04

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:04
Could be my good lookin bro Jeff. Certainly got my eyes. (Closed)
LMAO
Cheers
Col
FollowupID: 559316

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:01

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:01
Not criticising your post or this site Jeff, just pointing out what it could be like:

Check this site out. It's Perth's morning paper's website. Just wait a few seconds for the RAC ad to come out. It invades the entire screen and there's no X to make it go away.

"The West" Newspaper

However I do notice that EO's button for Members to suppress the ads has gone (unless it's buried somewhere).

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 293491

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:26

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:26
Gone Bush,
I won't open that link, 'cause I'm pretty sure I know the type of content.
I've promoted ExplorOz as often as possible, as a clean, informative site, and full of giving people.Sure, things get heated at times (yes, guilty here), but David did well, and is probably doing even better now.
In hind sight, I should have sat on my hands for a few days. But it was like coming back to an old campsite , only to find a bloody resort there!
Best I mail David now.
Thanks eh.
Jeff.
FollowupID: 559120

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:49

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:49
And we've all experienced that eh? G'day Jeffo, nice to see you still a round (pizza heheh).
A few years since I've been across the GCT but there used to be an interesting caretaker at the camping grounds at Warberton. His wife came from the community and they both lived there.
Travel well mate.
FollowupID: 559220

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:00

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:00
Jeff,

I just responded to your email before seeing this post. I must read the whole thing before replying.

I can now say I have seen this post so understand your issue.

How about you click on the Members Ad Suppress option this will remove the ads from all forum thread views. It is a little checkbox under the ads on the page you are reading to view this response.

As for the ads we have only added one ad to the forum view since we started - we always had the banner at the top and the shop items/ad colum in the rhs. So with the addtion of the island ad we added the members suppress flag to get rid of it. So the net effect should be that members will only see island ads on the index page and none on the thread view pages.

And as mentioned earlier if we could convert more visitors to members we could get rid of these ads also. It is a catch 22 as the opertational costs increase we must secure revenue from somewhere.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 559311

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:05

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:05
Gone Bush,

The Ad suppress button is still available and working (just tested it). When you open a thread online (say this one) go to the Island ad (just under the original post) and you will see the ad suppress check box - turn it on a presto Island ad gone..... It will reset after 30 days but simply click it again and it will go away again for 30 days.

If you cannot find it let me know.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 559317

Follow Up By: Member - Lost Dog(WA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:06

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:06
"And as mentioned earlier if we could convert more visitors to members we could get rid of these ads also."
M'Lud the defence rests
FollowupID: 559319

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 14:39

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 14:39
Thanks for taking the time David.
As I said in Followups 1/5, a prudent person would have sat on their hands for a few days and worked through it.

David is that bloke "Seven" a member?( I'd hate to think he was a freeloader). Help me out please, where do I find his profile?

See you 'round the ridges David.
Best wishes eh.
Jeff.
FollowupID: 559490

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 14:47

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 14:47
Jeff,

Seven is a Visitor, so far :)))

FollowupID: 559493

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 15:31

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 15:31
Jeff,

So many casts but no hook up..............

I think seven has gone Ta Ta instead of you LMAO

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 559496

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:53

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:53
Kev,
I maintain that Gramps should be Patron of this site: honorary life membership as a bare minimum: probly free fuel for life.
Between you pair, you've convinced me to part with $50. Hell, I can spill that much, eh.
Where are you now mate, Calliope or close by?
Trust family and self are well: your posts imply same.
Happy travels eh.
Tata,
Gerry.
FollowupID: 559616

Sponsored Links