Alpine National Park - Victoria

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:15
ThreadID: 55659 Views:2259 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning All.
Thinking of heading up to Victoria's High Country this coming Easter weekend with Jayco camper in tow.
Looking for suggestions on suitable (hopefully less crowded) camping spots, bearing in mind that tow vehicle will be 2WD Commodore wagon.
Currently looking at campsites such as Sheepyard Flats etc, with pit toilets and open fires.Camping next to river would be ideal.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, particularly in respect to camping options, road conditions to get there and approx. travel time from Melbourne.
Any correspondence will be appreciated.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rodney B (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:49

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:49
Was up at Buckland valley a couple of weeks ago and the road is good towards Beveridges Station and excellent camp sites by the river. Turn Right at Porepunkah and go down the Buckland road about 20 kms or so and you will see campsites on left for several ks.
About 3 hrs drive from Melb either up the Hume to Wangarratta or go through Mansfield and Whitfield passing Lake Buffallo.

Great camping with grassed areas and is state forest, Graded dirt road for part of the trip on the buckland road.
AnswerID: 293318

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:00

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:00
No loos at Beveridges Station though. Can't for the life of me work out why not.

Dave
FollowupID: 559131

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:55

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:55
If you have a 2wd your options for a decent uncrowded camp site at Easter can be pretty limited. 2 & 1/2 hours from Melbourne will get you to the Goulburn river with plenty of excellent campsites from Jamieson up to Knockwood.
Sheepyard will be a nightmare at Easter but there are some quieter spots further up the Howqua.
Rodney's suggestion of the Buckland has plenty of options too although it's a bit rough for a Commodore up near Beveridges and will take 4 hours from town.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 293445

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:06

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:06
There are some areas up in the Rubicon area that are worth a look too, and the camping areas in the Cathedral Ranges.

No where you can go in 2wd is quiet over Easter though. And many of the areas you can get to in 4wd are as bad.

I was in the Talbotville & Wonnangatta areas on the Labour Day weekend. (I normally avoid long weekends like the plague but had no choice.) I was very surprised how quiet it was.

Is it the diesel prices, interest rates, or just how close Labour Day was to Easter this year that put people off?

Wonnangatta Station at lunch time on Saturday was as near to empty as I've seen it on a long weekend - maybe half a dozen groups. And on the way there from Talbotville mid morning we passed no-one which was very surprising. No big groups of bikes, not even a heap of radio traffic.

I'm not complaining. I like it quiet up there, but to coin a phrase - where the bloody hell were you?

Dave
FollowupID: 559133

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:18

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:18
I'm with ya Dave. Had 3 trips this year into the High Country & have seen barely anyone. A few weeks ago we did Jamieson to Matlock looping around Aberfeldy, Mt Useful & Mt Skene & wouldn't have seen any more than 25 4x4's over the entire weekend.
It's so quiet I'm risking going into Wonnangatta over Easter, something I haven't done for 10 years :-))
Initially I put it down to the fires, flies & sicada's but I think you may be onto something with many people simply no longer able to afford it camping closer to home instead. If that's the case I'll be selfish & ask they put fuel & loans up a couple of % so the bush is left to the locals ;-)
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 559265

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:11

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:11
G'day Craig.

I hope you don't bust my theory.

I think I'm right though. For a family of four travelling from Melbourne I reckon the fuel bill into the 'gatta via Myrtleford towing a camper would be close to $285 for a weekend - allowing for 45 litres to get to Myrtleford, 20 litres into the 'gatta and same again to get home. That's 130 litres.

Allow another 60-70 litres for two short day trips - probably more in low range for say a trip to Talbotville and maybe a trip up to the Howitt Hut and back.

There's an easy 190-200 ltrs. Fuel in Bright on the long weekend was in the high $1.5x's. So my $285 might even be a bit optomistic.

$90 for a slab of Bundy & a slab of beer. $150 for groceries that would have cost you about $80 two years ago....

Before you even consider that the truck should be serviced before you go and there might be something that needs work, you are looking at about $550-600 for a long weekend.

My trip on Labour Day weekend I filled up with $220 in diesel (though I've still got 40 ltrs in jerrys on the camper I didn't use), bought $90 worth of cans, $240 in groceries (fed 3 adults and 4 kids) and spent $200 on a service. That's $750.

I reckon on that basis you'll have a quiet weekend.

When people are paying out $150-200 a month more than they were paying a year or so ago on the mortgage they don't have much under the mattress for long weekends.

Dave
FollowupID: 559391

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:25

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:25
It's not the $500 I'm spending camping this Easter that I'm worried about Dave. My wife & kids are going to stay with her folks, spitting distance from Chadstone shopping centre. Imagine the damage my credit card could suffer over 4 days ;-))
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 559397

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:15

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:15
Haha.

Don't fret too much. I took the kids, as did my mate, and the girls went to Melbourne on a shopping trip. I was a little worried when the Minister for Finance told me she'd spent quite a bit.

She's always been conservative, and she didn't disappoint. I was thinking "alot" was going to be in the $800-$1000 mark but she came in under $500.

:o)

I can't complain at all. With what I spend on power tools and the 4wd....

Dave
FollowupID: 559410

Sponsored Links