30 SEC OZTENTS.....Any good ?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 19:50
ThreadID: 5566 Views:4162 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
My first time posting on this site, after having a look for a little while, what a ripper site, plenty of great info and also great responces on the forum, congratulations to all concerned !

My Question is, has anyone got an oppinion or had any experiance useing those 30 second OZTENTS, are they worth the $$$ they are asking, and do they stand the test of time and use.

Happy Days....Browny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kezza - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:22

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:22
They are a must have in my opinion if -
- you are on the road a lot,
- have a companion of the fairer sex who has had enough of the flies or rain for the day
- have the room for it
- love to sit tight in your instant bar sipping beer after a long days adventure watching the others fumble around for 40 mins to pitch any other tent.
I would never have considered takingit unless a frind insisted I take his on a 2 week tour - even though Id built a bunk into the patrol it was brilliant

kezza
AnswerID: 23090

Follow Up By: gordon g - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 23:34

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 23:34
for about the same price you can get a C.O.I. 10oz. canvas center pole tent which takes about 5 mins to put up and is FAR more value than the OZ tent.I have the 'lightning' extended version and it is hard to beat for
long term camping.
FollowupID: 15372

Follow Up By: Mick - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:02

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:02
Even better go for an Australian made centre pole tent like Southern Cross make - and they're quicker to put up than the Oz Tent because 30 sec doesn't include making the Oztent secure with guys. OK if it's not windy!!
FollowupID: 15790

Reply By: Phil G - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:38

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:38
Browny,

They are very popular in our club, but like everything, theres good and bad. The upside is the ease of putting them up, and the square walls. Downsides are that they can collect water on the roof if it rains, and you have to put them on a roofrack because of their stored length. Someone told me the first ones had better canvas than the later ones. The rain problem is overcome by buying the fly sheet, which has lots of ropes etc, so it then takes ten minutes!

The oztent made springy tents are great, if you're happy to have a tent you can't stand up in. They cope with the wind very well too.

My favourite is still a tent called a Breezeway made by Halls Canvas Goods in Adelaide. 12x9 twin centre pole that doesn't encroach on floor space. Square packet, quick to put up, can stand up in it, and about the same price as the Oztent. Downside is the packet is a bit heavy because of the thick canvas.

Phil
AnswerID: 23093

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 21:01

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 21:01
The newer oztents now have a sloping roof so rain collecting is no longer an issue. I was also advised by oztent the other day that the tents are waterproof without the fly and that the main reason for the fly is to prevent bird poop and small tree limbs etc from soiling or damaging the canvas.
We did alot of homework into it and eventually got the largest model (ranger) along with the sidewalls and screenroom for those longer stays. In regards to weight ours is 19kgs so unless your old and decrepid there's no problem in putting it on the roof rack.
Browny if you want me to send photos of our setup including the screen room which is excellent against mozzies and the like let me know. We're setting it all up again tomorrow just to get the hang of it. Try using the search engine at the top of the forum screen and type in 'oztent', there's a fair bit of info on them.

Regards
Gibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 15311

Follow Up By: Browny - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 20:41

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 20:41
Chris,
Thanks Mate, I'd appreciate looking at a few pics of your set up

davidbrown@myaccess.com.au

Happy Days....Browny
FollowupID: 15422

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:49

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:49
Browny,
I have a camper trailer and I fumble around for the forty minutes, I still enjoy it. Some of the members in our club have Oz Tents and the hardest parts seems to be getting it on and off the roof rack, usually takes two people. It's up quick and they are the people usually walking around the campsite with a beer having a chat first, I must admit I've never been on a campsite when it's been raining so I don't know about the rain issue. Seem to be Ok to me but I still prefer the creature comforts of a camper trailer. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 23099

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:51

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:51
but theres a $10k difference in camper trailer and tent ;)~
FollowupID: 15325

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 20:20

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 20:20
Truckster,
True, true, I got my considerably cheaper than $10k, it's an O'brien from over your side of the world. don't get me wrong I think the Oztent is a great invention it just doesen't "float my boat". Anything further on the engine??? Catch you soon no doubt. Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 15352

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:56

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 20:56
Hi Browny welcome to the site , I had a look at the oz tent but was put off by the lenght that ment storing on the roof this was also a ploblem due to the weight ,off setting the centre of graverty in the end I oppted for a dome tent it was light compact and only takes a few minutes to put up , the one I got had a small room at the front which is great for storage and also a place to take off wet weather gear before entering the main tent we can stand up in it quite easally also the area at the frount can be used to cook in if the weather turns bad this tent only set us back $159.00 at Ranger camping .Before you buy an oz tent I would recommend seeing if you can lift it onto your roof rack easilly ,hope this helpsBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 23102

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 22:10

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 22:10
Wouldn't be difficult to organize a couple of ropes starting with the standing part of the rope from the center of the roof rack, looping over the outside of the basket (or external bars) of the roof rack and under the tent on the near side (a loop about knee level), and over to the far side of the roof rack through a pully, with the free end back to the near side. This would give a 2:1 reduction to lift the tent pack on the roof on a high vehicle with the remainder of the rope to tie it down securely. One man operation on a lifted 4WD. 19 kg isn't much weight to put on a roof rack, equals about one jerry of fuel or a large 4WD tyre carcass.
FollowupID: 15314

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 05:18

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 05:18
Sorry Peter,
Not at all taking the bleep but agree with GaryInOz. I carry the 19kg tent plus another 45kgs in shower water on the roof ie. 70kgs including little xtras etc. Done Harvey hill and Collie hill climbs in it and never rolled over considering the overall weight near the base of the vehicle especially with full tanks.
RegardsGibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 15319

Follow Up By: Mick - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:09

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:09
Gary do you really want a winch to get a tent packed???? And never carry jerry cans on the roof!!!!!
FollowupID: 15791

Reply By: Mike - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 22:34

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 22:34
If 19kg is an issue, remember it will be more if wet.
Happy camonig......Mike
AnswerID: 23110

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 05:28

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 05:28
Oops, did I forget to mention it's waterproof? Even if it isn't, what's an extra 5 kilos (5L) at the max?
If you're healthy and can do a push up it's not a problem - otherwise forget joining the army.ie. you're not fit enough in the first place to be in remote areas.Gibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 15320

Reply By: Jack - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 07:52

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 07:52
Hi Browny:
I have a "Ranger" model and love it.
Advantages include quick and easy to put up, you can stand in it. It does go up in 30 seconds, but if you are staying a while and want to "nail it down", put up the annexe, fly etc, it takes a little longer. But then, don't they all?

Downside? 2.4m length means it goes on my roof rack (on the top of everything else) and is lashed down with a ratchet strap. Not much of a problem and I don't have any trouble getting it up there.

I looked at the newer model Oztents at the 4WD show in Sydney and noticed some improvements, especially in the side walls, which are now zipped on instead of the silly "toggles" that are on my model. This is a positive move.

On our travels we decide in advance on the type of setup we will have, depending on length of stay. The "Budget" setup, with no annexe, fly etc takes 30 secs ... which is great for an overnight stay (or setting up in the rain). The "5Star", with everything, takes about 5 minutes.

I have had no breakages or anything, but know there is a full list of available spares from Oztent. You will find all this on their website.

Cheers
Jack
AnswerID: 23119

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:59

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:59
Personally Im looking at Southern Cross' One Pole Canvas Tents...

brilliant design and quality, and what can be better than 1 pole!!! (you can get a pole kit to move it from center to the sides)

You peg down 4 corners, and then crawl inside, stand u with one pole up the middle, and start drinking.

Can even get awnings for them if your basecamping.
http://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/tent.htm
AnswerID: 23123

Reply By: Magic - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:16

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:16
Hi all
I am interested in oztent too does anyone know if oztent is somewhere on display in Melbourne, I like to see before I bay.
AnswerID: 23128

Reply By: Member - Roger - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 22:33

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 22:33
The simplest solution to your question would be to join a 4wd club in your area, borrow a tent and go for a couple of weekend trips and compare what the others have this way you can get an idea of what suits you best
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 23174

Reply By: Browny - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 19:01

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 19:01
Many thanks to you all for your replies, some great info there.
I mainly do overnighters or weekends no real long term stuff, usually in my persuit of a fishing destination, I,ve been very happy with my swag for years, (quick & easy) but maybe I'm getting a bit soft and the thought of some storage space and being able to get dressed while standing in the dry is becoming more appealing.

Thanks again.

Happy Days....Browny
AnswerID: 23225

Reply By: huntin - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 20:03

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 20:03
Gday, just done a 6 week Simpson trip with a new model Oz Tent. Its the RV series they are now an olive green colour. Its bloody unreal!! Side walls zip and velcro on, and the awning is peaked for no water pooling. Got the screen room which hangs on the side of the tent awning if you want to save poles. Was great to sit and have a beer and watch the flies and mozzies outside. Ive got plenty of pics if you need any.
AnswerID: 23232

Follow Up By: Browny - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 20:43

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 20:43
Huntin,
Cheers Mate, A look at a few pics would be great.

davidbrown@myaccess.com.au

Happy Days....Browny
FollowupID: 15423

Follow Up By: machac - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 16:14

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 16:14
Huntin,
I wouldn't mind having a look at your pics as well. I have an Oztent RV and have been tossing up whether to get the side walls / screen room also.

machac@bigpond.net.au

Cheers, Machac
FollowupID: 15473

Follow Up By: 10 Para - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 19:02

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 19:02
Hi Huntin,
Love to see the pic.s just going through the process of which way to go thinking of roof top tent anf the Oztent will be taking the Partol to NZ this year for about 4 months fishing so need something warm and also stand alone to let us move the patril up and down the river during the day, most stays will be about 3 nights no longer, what do you think, also looked at the Magio but lack of roof space not good.
FollowupID: 17229

Sponsored Links