Colson Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 17:18
ThreadID: 55671 Views:1738 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All,
Considering to travel the Colson track in the near future, do you need permits for this track and any other handy hints would be very helpful, thanks

Seven.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 17:46

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 17:46
Seven you won't get a permit to travel this track through the Aboriginal land.
CLC don't hand out permits and virtually never have since it became aboriginal land.
You can travel the bottom section until you reach the aboriginal portion but from then on you should turn around.
We travelled it in it's entirety back in the mid 80's and it was 2wd, top gear stuff most of the way.
We also travelled a small portion last year during a Madigan crossing and as it isn't travelled very much and no maintenance is ever done it is very overgrown with many detours around thick scrubby sections and washouts, very slow going.
AnswerID: 293386

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:29

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:29
The only bit of the Colson that you can travel is the section in the Simpson Desert that heads South from the French Line. As per the other post you will not get a permit so don't bother trying. This situation has been the same for so long it doesn't matter.

RobA
AnswerID: 293616

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:20

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:20
Rob,
There is a 155km long section north of the NT border that is on Crown Land, so it is legal.

North from there is the point where transit permits are not normally granted.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 559411

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:50

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:50
There is a way, but it'll cost ya!.........

Have a look here

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 293637

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:23

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:23
Gday Ed,
I looked long and hard at Jol's trip to the Plenty Lakes - I'd love to do it, and his charges are very reasonable, but timing is wrong this year.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 559412

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 00:42

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 00:42
G'day Phil,
Pity ya couldn't fit it in this time 'round, but I think we can safely assume that this won't be the last such trip that Jol takes through that area... there's always next year, huh? ;-))

Tag-alongs are not normally SWMBO's & my thing.. indeed, we much prefer to travel solo (most of the time), but when we saw this trip on Jol's site, we both thought "Yep, we're goin'!!" .. and yes, we thought the price was pretty reasonable, all things considered...

Made a booking (takin' the trailer too, and Jol's fine with that;-)), given the vehicle (and c/t) the "twice over", now all we gotta do is be in Alice by the due date;-))...

Catch ya later.... Ed

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 559423

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:04

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:04
Thats great Ed. Looking forward to hearing what it was like when you get back.

Yep, we rarely do tagalongs, but when a great remote trip is on offer then it takes all the hassle out of it - you can go and enjoy yourself.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 559441

Sponsored Links