Diamantina Gates NP

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:48
ThreadID: 55683 Views:3226 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know anything about the Diamantina Gates NP south west of Winton Qld. Is it accessable, especially with a camper trailer? is it worth looking at?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:54

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:54
We visited once a couple of years ago, probably won't bother ever returning, one camping area was just a dust bowl, apparently the other one is slightly better.
We've found plenty of spots on the side of the road that were better to camp and visit.
But each to their own, if you haven't been make the effort to visit at least once.
AnswerID: 293444

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 21:03

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 21:03
Hi Peter...just having a chuckle! one man's dream, another's nightmare.....we both had different experiences it seems.

Cheers
FollowupID: 559080

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 21:01

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 21:01
This is a great park to explore and is easily overlooked. No problem with a camper trailer and plan to spend a few days there, well worth the visit.

We were last there in 2005, making our way in from Windorah, a drive of about 350 klms up through Palparra Station. There is some interesting places to stop on this route, including the old JC Hotel.

If you member msg your email I'll send you a story I wrote on this triip, which includes a short section on the park. Mind you the Qld NP website will give you plenty of information.Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 293451

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 08:31

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 08:31
Richard & Leonie

We were there a couple of years ago. Planning to go through there again this year.
Things to note.
No fuel available. Check on distance and your fuel capacity.
If it rains, forget it.
Take your time on route. Can be rough in places. Last trip we pasted a camper with a broken spring. Careful on the corners.
No facilities other than a long drop.
It is, a tranquil place.
Well worth the effort.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 293533

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:51

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:51
Hi Wim and J - we're leaving for Bdv next weekend. See you out there! Ian and Ruth
FollowupID: 559556

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:33

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:33
We have taken a Trakmaster offroad caravan there, from Windorah via Polperrero Station and then out to Boulia. Camped at Hunters Gorge - by a large waterhole. Very peaceful - not crowded with other campers. Very pretty. From that camp, could walk up to the ridge top - good views. Lots of birdlife by the waterhole, but also quite a few feral cats. We used it as a base & drove all the accessible tracks in the park - had 5 nights there, so we thought it worthwhile!
AnswerID: 293552

Reply By: Bros 1 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:57

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:57
Richard & Leonie,
We towed our semi off road camper through there three years ago with no problems. Camped at Old Cork on The Diamantina for a few days. Caught yellowbelly and relaxed with just us and another couple travelling with us in a Jayco Outback.
Camped the night at Gumhole on the way out to Boulia.
Take your fly veil. Roads excellent at that time.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 293670

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:53

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:53
Coming out this year? We've leaving next weekend for a fair while. Fish are biting at Bdv - we'll have caught them by the time you get there. LOL.
FollowupID: 559557

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:50

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:50
We go there at least twice a year and wouldn't like anyone else to know about this beautiful tranquil place - with the long drop dunny with the absolutely best view of any long drop dunny I've had occassion to use. We hate the peace, we hate watching the pelicans landing and taking off at sunset and sunrise - not to mention the brolgas who nest on the other side of the big waterhole at Hunters Gorge - and don't camp at Gum Hole (especially if you don't like catching yabbies). Oh yes and don't go to HUnter's Gorge - because there's only fishing for yellow belly, walking up the hills seeking the wonderful views, big trees beside waterholes - and as for a dust bowl, it always seems to rain when we go there. Interesting drive in from No 3 Bore - never thought I'd find a property that doesn't even have one tree on it. Not far into Boulia for a change - or up to Winton for a different look (we usually go up from the Birdsville - Bedourie road). AS you can see we hate it - and don't like going there.
What month are you planning on being there? Definitely do not drive in there for only one night - as I know many people do. It's a long way in and deserves a couple of days at least.
AnswerID: 293850

Follow Up By: Bros 1 - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:58

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:58
G'day Ruth,
Probably won't be back out that way until retirement in a couple of years. Going to Bathurst Bay again this year. Regards to all.
Cheers
Bros
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 559618

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 18:06

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 18:06
Thanks to all the people who replied to my question. It is now on out trip itinery.
AnswerID: 295278

Sponsored Links