Reversing Camera's

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:06
ThreadID: 55691 Views:2150 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you are having a "heat" issue with your external camera. I am having a complete camera shut down (sending no image at all) when the outside temp reaches 30 deg or above. I am after any suggestions that might stop this problem, as in insulating it somehow.

Regards: Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:21

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 23:21
More info please........ What brand of camera? Is it a wireless one? (these are renowned for their mediocre behaviour....)

A good quality set-up shouldn't be affected by "normal" heat (ie: up to say 60oC)
AnswerID: 293503

Follow Up By: pf11 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:54

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:54
The camera is that rectangular black one, has a swivel bracket & sun shade, it has 2 rows of IR lights on each side of the lens.
not too sure of the brand but was bought on Ebay and supplied from QLD
$288.00 with 7" monitor
FollowupID: 559136

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:39

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:39
Yes, that happened recently to my reversing camera. Silly me left it switched on while the car was parked in full sun on a 42 degree day.
Came back and was greeted by a blue screen on the monitor.
Had the monitor checked and it was OK, it worked with another camera.
Took the camera apart and there are two definitely fried components in there, unfixable unfortunately due to miniaturisation of the parts and possible damage to the associated integrated chip.

The camera is that rectangular black one, has a swivel bracket & sun shade, it has 2 rows of IR lights on each side of the lens.
Was quoted between $170 & 200 for a new camera from the supplier.
Ordered a similar looking one (with different plugs but I can fix that) from ebay for $72 all inclusive. We'll see if I wasted my money when it turns up :-)
Klaus
AnswerID: 293515

Reply By: traveller2 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 08:23

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 08:23
I think there are different "qualities" of what appear to be identical cameras on the market.
My employer recntly bought a new bus for me to drive and I insisted on a rear view camera being fitted before delivery.
It is a CM60 from Polaris which the dealer had fitted so we paid through the nose for it. But it does have a pretty much perfect picture under all conditions.
I have on my 4wd what appears to be an identical camera and a far better screen.
I've climbed up on a ladder to examine the camera on the bus closely and cannot see any external differences to mine on the 4wd but my camera on the 4wd cannot handle bright light nearly as well as the bus camera, flares to red most of the time in bright sunlight and yes when the ambient is very hot it sometimes refuses to even come on.
Maybe my camera is a dud, who knows!
But mine did only cost about $au45 delivered from ebay. The screen cost around $100 delivered and includes a TV tuner plus is 7" against approx 3 1/2" in the bus. All for about 1/8 th the price!
AnswerID: 293530

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:48

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:48
Two things can cause the problems posted.
Firstly the cameras with IR frequently are optimised for LOW LIGHT and flare or wash out in bright sunlight.
Secondly a lot of them also prefer to run on about 8 volts instead of 12 and heating up is a symptom of that.

I had a Swann IR camera on the back of my van and it flared out so I contacted Swann who confirmed the above.
Have since replaced it with a mini cam as per Ebay and its perfect.

I have a Polaris CM35 screen and mini cam on the Croozer and just made up a patch cord to connect the RCA plug on the Van cam.
I also tried a wireless setup on the van and at 12 volts from the taillights the camera was almost too hot to touch after about 20 mins.
Just personal observations.
FollowupID: 559219

Follow Up By: traveller2 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:23

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:23
Graham
I had my suspicions about the voltage so I've got one of those adjustable voltage reducers in the cupboard from jaycar so I'll try that.
I don't think it is because of the IR facility as both cameras have them.
will report back on how it goes with less power.
FollowupID: 559247

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:19

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:19
Was it from an Ebay seller who gives free postage and name starts with BR*** Im*****
If so thats where my wireless one came from and it has 8v on a sticker on the side of it.
FollowupID: 559280

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:12

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:12
Yep, have the same problem with an IR one in our Xtrail that sounds identical to yours. But temp has to be greater than 35 degrees (had 15 of those days in a row here!) and maybe with the camera sitting in the sun. Works fine when it cools down. We live with it. Camera cost $50 - Ebay - delivered out of Sydney.

The round bullet camera in the LandCruiser is fine at any temp.
AnswerID: 293565

Sponsored Links