Gunbarrel, Tanami and CSR

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 08:33
ThreadID: 55697 Views:2630 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Check in Member gatherings in regards to this trip starting in late July. If anyone is interested in coming along please MM me or email as I need to finalise numbers now.

All of the original people who were coming along are now no longer due to various circumstances, so for anyone who is interested here is your opportunity.

We are not going to do the CSR alone so if there are no takers for this trip we will still do the Gunbarrel, Tanami and then somewhere else to get home rather than the CSR, and leave the CSR till next year as part of our Kimberley trip.

If anyone is attending the VKS 737 gathering in Albany this coming weekend and is interested in the trip in July then I am sure we could catch up to chat about it there also.

Cheers

Richard

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 09:55

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 09:55
Richard

Doing the CSR alone isn't so frightening. Just make sure you have a back up plan, the right comms and enough food and water.

Cheers
AnswerID: 293548

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:20

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:20
Willem

Not so much for me, but for SWMBO it is a totally different matter, especially considering that we will have our 2 youngest with us as well. She does like to err on the cautious side.

She has already stated in no uncertain terms that we are not going to do this one alone. No argument being entered into Im afraid :)

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 559193

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 00:44

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 00:44
Richard,

I have to agree with SWMBO. The CSR it too remote for one vehicle - too big a risk especially with the kids. Anything can happen.

But if you convince her, make sure you have a sat phone and epirb on board. They don't call the CSR one of the most remote 4wd tracks in the world for nothing.
FollowupID: 559426

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 01:19

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 01:19
John

Not as much fun out camping on your own either.

Epirb is coming and I do have HF which I would class as more reliabloe then satphone anyday. have had a satphone before I struggled to get a call out, but that is another discussion for another day which I wont gety into here :)

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 559431

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:05

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:05
We did a solo Canning before the era of gadgets and toys in an old busted arse petrol Toyota.

Admittedly it was only the two of us. Had a few breakages along the way which I repaired, sort of...lol. Nearly ran out of fuel as I had decided to take a track off the CSR out to Helena Spring....a 180km detour!

Read all about it here

Cheers
FollowupID: 559449

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:26

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:26
Willem

I have read the bulk of your stories on your page. Definitely provides a good few hours of great reading. Tracy has also read most of them as well. She particularly enjoyed the ones where you were in South Africa as she is originally from Zimbabwee so they are quite relevant to her.

I would do the CSR alone, as lets face it these days you are not really alone out there, can be more like a highway, but she being the more cautious and less adventureous type unfortunately has the final say on this one Im afraid.l

I however won the "how do we setup the camper trailer" agument from a few months ago.....lol

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 559452

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:54

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:54
Richard

I must admit that while my SWMBO is very stoic at times, she complained at Helena Spring (90km east of Well 42) that she was feeling nervous and very isolated. We were having a few problems with our generator keeping batteries charged and the old FJ55 was running rough. So after a 24hour stint there we packed up and returned to the CSR.

Excerpt from diary

"Sunday 17th July
Sunrise 6.15am
Temp 13C

Today was supposed to be a rest day but Judith is getting edgy and nervous about being so far away in this remote wilderness area. Democracy reigns and we move on. Find an old back pack on the track and wonder where it came from. Spoke to Peter Vernon some months later by phone and he said that it fell off his truck. A bumpy three hour drive out. We are able to make better time following our own tracks. We were going to miss all the dunes and take another seismic track to the south but in the end decided that that would be too risky. With the sun from behind the scenery is even more beautiful. Two camels get on the track in front of us and keep us amused for fifteen minutes. We have to cross the biggest dune again and after 5 attempts we struggle across the top. The rest of the dunes are OK and we arrive at Well 41 in time for lunch. This well has been rebuilt and a stainless steel bucket has been provided. I have trouble with this bucket and go back to our own one. I am not happy with the camp site. There are prickles everywhere and we are sharing the camp with 7 other vehicles but to save an argument I relent. I hate cluster camping but we talk with a few fellow travellers and share notes. Worked on Gertie's carburettor. Kangaroo for supper. In bed by 9pm."

Such is life....LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 559458

Sponsored Links