Larger tires in Qld = Hoon laws

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 14:56
ThreadID: 55704 Views:5649 Replies:15 FollowUps:55
This Thread has been Archived
WTF?
Got done for bigger tired, just read it.
Interesting read

Dude got done while pumping up his trires - gets a MAJOR defect for bigger tires, which results in a court date (GREAT USE OF OUR COURTS)!,

AND you also are classed under the new HOONING laws!
2 more things in any vehicle and he has THAT car he is in at that time confiscated.

Unbelieveable.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:20

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:20
Truckster,

"Whilst putting air in my tyres at a servo on friday, I looked up to see a qld police officer ,Who promptly told me my 35in tyers were illegal ( no surprise there ). "

The dude knew the tyres were illegal so what is the problem.

The forum that he put the post on, well that says it all and I would like to know the full story not just the bit that he wants to tell.

How do we know if the tyres were bald or not designed for street use.

Wayne

AnswerID: 293587

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:28

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:28
The whole scenario IF true (or isnt missing anything as you say), is pretty hard handed dont you think?
"... mate your tires are illegal, go home, if I see them again, your gone"... Sounds fairer? Considering he was parked and not even driving it at the time? Maybe this dude has a history with the cops.. but sounded very harsh to me. Remind me not to go there and sneeze incase a gob of snot comes out and I get done for spittin in the street.

Considering they were supposed to be dangerous tires, warranting a defect, courtdate, and full inspection at the roads joint - they let him drive home.. Doesnt make sense.

But its not just those tires, 90% of 4wds have oversized tires, with most of those people not even knowing that fact.

So any sort of thing that can be defected, can be considered by HOON laws, and you can get taken to court?

More to the point, I would like to know if thats only Qld or would happen in any state in aussie??... Anyone know?
FollowupID: 559249

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:29

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:29
>> "How do we know if the tyres were bald or not designed for street use."
they let him drive home. cant be all bad?
FollowupID: 559250

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:30

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:30
Have you considered that it's the brakes that they are actually worried about ? 35" tyres take a lot of stopping !

AnswerID: 293590

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:33

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 15:33
but those same tires are engineerable in other states, with standard brakes (if they are the same tires from another thread)

A good point from same thread
"Under QLD laws you can take a 4wd that is perfectly legal in other states and roadworthy in all respects and turn it into a illegally modified death machince simply by changing the rego to qld."
FollowupID: 559251

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:06

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:06
Truckie,

Be nice. Qld have to get something right :)))

FollowupID: 559261

Follow Up By: Ray - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:04

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:04
Don't be too hard on Queenslanders. Soon they will be able to spell BEER instead of calling it XXXX but I am surprised that a Victorian can't spell TYRES
FollowupID: 559277

Reply By: 96 GXL 80 series - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 16:29

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 16:29
Why do you think we got out of QLD, if you have a modded vehicle you are bound to get done, even if it is for fly dung on the windscreen.

It is up to you to prove the vehicle is and was roadworthy at the time, not the officer, what he says goes.

If you drive a modified vehicle that is registered interstate and has been passed by an engineer, certificate supplied then this information goes on your registration details.
So when the police do a rego check up it comes, and if your in QLD and NSW rego your done.

In QLD it is not worth the paper it is written on.

Also if you have a modified vehicle and has been engineered and rego in NSW, you can't have it engineered in QLD unless you are transferring the Rego to QLD, so your done what ever way you go.
AnswerID: 293594

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:32

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:32
"Also if you have a modified vehicle and has been engineered and rego in NSW, you can't have it engineered in QLD unless you are transferring the Rego to QLD, so your done what ever way you go."

Please explain...

I just had Darkie accepted by QLD for a conversion done in Vic and Engineered for NSW. As long as you can provide QLD Dept of Transport evidence that it meets the ADR's then they will accept the modifications.
It shows on my rego papers that it is a dual cab table top and I have to have a copy of the letter from Dept of Transport in the vehicle.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 559285

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:02

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:02
As you stated in one of your posts, you had Darkie passed with standard rims and tyres, now that you have changed them you are at the mercy of the law in any state.

If they the police don't agree with the engineer then they can keep sending you back to QLD transport at your expence as many times as they like.

Nothing you can do about it, if they say you had a bald tyre on it then it is bald no matter what.
FollowupID: 559291

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:42

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:42
They were not the standard rims actually, standard rims for Darkie is the splits and he was engineered with GXL steel rims.
As for the police not agreeing with the engineers report has nothing to do with it as it has been approved by the QLD Dept of Transport which specifies the modifications in their apprval letter which as I said has to be in the vehicle so the police can reference it when checking.

From the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999

(b) the maximum tyre width is—

(ii) for an off-road passenger vehicle fitted with front
and rear beam axles—not more than 1.5 times the width of the vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre

Which is why I have QLD Dept of Transport approval to run the tyre and rim combination that I have on Darkie as per the Approval letter from the above dept. I requested approval for the new rim tyre combo at the same time

They also state if you missed me saying it already

" A copy of this letter must be carried in the vehicle at all times so the Police and/or QT inspectors have proof of approval."

So there for I have approval for the modifications on Darkie and I don't give a bleep what you have to say about it.
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559305

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:13

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:13
Get into it kev....!!!! Im on your side!!!!

he's right...as long as you have the letters to prove it...no one can go against them, especially when it has all been done properly like in Kevs case...Police cannt do what ever they like...if its legal on the paper work they have to put up with it whether they like it or not. Transport association go over their heads, the police just try to pull people over and get them done over...but they have no leg to stand on once paper work is proven to be correst!

FollowupID: 559324

Follow Up By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:25

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:25
hey kiwi
just like heather mills lolololol

steve
FollowupID: 559332

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:27

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:27
i wish i had her bank account...so what if she is $140m short of what she wanted!
FollowupID: 559333

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:55

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:55
You are missing the point, if they the police still want to argue against the engineer, all they have to do is sticker your vehicle unroadworthy and make you take it to QLD transport for a further inspection where QLD transport will go right over your vehicle and look for problems or any other mods that are not on the mod plate or paper work that you must carry at all times and in NSW have a copy in your car and on your person.

The Police can do this to any vehicle that they suspect of being modified.

If you want to fight this it will be at your own cost and any costs incurred against you.
FollowupID: 559352

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:59
i wish i had her bank account...so what if she is $140m short of what she wanted!

You would only pssssssssssit down the toilet anyway.
FollowupID: 559357

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:59
it cost the bloke $90 to just book in to get his car checked.
Then the day off work
then the grand extra on things they will find... like deadly partly worn rubber on clutch pedal, or the rubber on steering wheel turns a little... etc..

My point that nobody seems to see, is that this is attached to HOON LAWS - THREE STRIKES THEY TAKE YOUR CAR OFF YOU FOR GOOD
FollowupID: 559358

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:03

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:03
That is why you only drive an vehicle with approved modifications then all costs should go to the Dept of Transport.

The police will only act on an issue that is not addressed in the approval letter from the Dept of Transport. Case closed, if you drive an unapproved modified vehicle then you deserve to be raked over the coals. But Darkie is and always will be 100% legal.
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559362

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:06

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:06
96 GXL 80 SERIES.....Ill tell ya something that you might want to take alittle notice of......You lose all respect once you get personal. You have no idea about me, you have no idea! Dont you dare say that I would psssssssss it down the toilet......if you had any idea about me you would know that I would give 99% of it away......but thats not the case here.....

Get personal on here and you lose all respect (which has already happened), hence the reason why Im not calling you things that most people wish to say and have said behind your back....... You are not worth the time and effort anymore. go and get fkt. Everyone has the right to say what they want, minus the personal stuff, dont get shirty just cos Kev has gone through it LEGALLY and differs to what you have mentioned.

Goodbye!
FollowupID: 559364

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:07

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:07
Exactly and this is what people are missing, things wear even if they are modified.

This is what makes it right for the police to go over your vehicle and check it for wear and tear and any mods.

QLD transport are there as a backup for the police incase the mods are illegal.
FollowupID: 559365

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:16

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:16
I have had several modified vehicles both in QLD and NSW so know what goes on and if the police want yours off the road, then your at the mercy of them.

You only have to listen to them on the police radio when your rego number is put through the system as to your fate.

Kev your mods are only superficial compared to the ones I had in my cars.

Also a lot of mates that still live in QLD that have just given up and sold cars just to get the police off there backs.
FollowupID: 559366

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:17

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:17
so now its a''my balls are bigger than yours' game!! haha!!
FollowupID: 559367

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:39

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:39
Truckster,
My point that nobody seems to see, is that this is attached to HOON LAWS - THREE STRIKES THEY TAKE YOUR CAR OFF YOU FOR GOOD

If in the 1st visit to QLD transport and they find more faults, they give you a certain time and if not done, "Red Sticker" off the road forever.
FollowupID: 559375

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:36

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:36
Kev & Darkie posted:
They were not the standard rims actually, standard rims for Darkie is the splits and he was engineered with GXL steel rims.
As for the police not agreeing with the engineers report has nothing to do with it as it has been approved by the QLD Dept of Transport which specifies the modifications in their apprval letter which as I said has to be in the vehicle so the police can reference it when checking.

Kev, so what you are saying is that you don't have a Mod plate fitted by a Authorised engineer as per QLD Transport under modifications to a motor vehicle or light truck? All you have is some paper like in NSW.

Also you don't have a mod plate for the GXL type rims, is that what you are saying?

I checked with my engineer on these things today, and he does not agree with what you are saying.

FollowupID: 559551

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:40

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:40
Then you need a new engineer.
QLD Dept of Transport have approved the mods without need for a mod plate

End of story
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559553

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:55

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:55
Kev,
he is an Authorised Engineer for QLD Transport and is located in QLD, I just phoned him your comments, so he is going to take it up with QLD transport on Tuesday.
FollowupID: 559558

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:02

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:02
And I care because???
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559561

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:08

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:08
Didn,t say you did.

He does though as it is his buisness, I have sent him this link as a reference as well.
FollowupID: 559565

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:12

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:12
He obviously makes extra money by charging the extra for mod plates when not needed then
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559566

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:17

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:17
The Approved Person will give
you a Certificate of Modification and fit a modification
plate to the vehicle if the changes meet the required
standards.
FollowupID: 559568

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:30

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:30
Only if the modifications are done to a vehicle that is registered in QLD. Darkie was converted in Vic and first Registered in NSW as modified. Therefore when transfering to QLD a modification plate is not required.
Which is what I said last night but you don't appear to be able to comprehend that other states don't require a mod plate.
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559574

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:47

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:47
Vic and QLD require a Mod plate and as I did point out to you that you have to have a letter from the Engineer in your car at all times and one on your person when driving the vehicle.

Unless laws have changedin the last couple of months, once you change states your car has to have it's registration cancelled before it can be re registered in QLD, there for a RWC and Engineers Certificate if needed, has to be supplied along with proof of ownership.
FollowupID: 559585

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:54

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:54
You are still only reading what you want to read, I said converted in Vic and first Registered in NSW as modified. Which means that it was Engineered in NSW therefore not required to have a Mod Plate.

Once again from the letter from the Dept of Transport QLD:

I quote

As you have provided acceptable evidence that the modification has been approved and the vehicle registered in NSW, approval is granted for the conversion on a reciprocal basis.

End Quote

It don't get much plainer than that, no mention that a mod plate is neede for the conversion when transferred.

I hope your Engineer gets some useful info out of this post.
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559590

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:57

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:57
I missed a bit for you.

" Conditions of approval -

This approval is issued for the purpose of gaining QLD Registration,

The modifications meet all standards acceptable in the state, i.e. any modification standard or Code of Practice."

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559593

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:01

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:01
read page 5 96 gxl

compliance plate not nessecarily needed.....while yur at it read page 7 about it being registered in another state first.....

why are you trying to prove Kev wrong? He has done everything legally and through the right places in the right order. There has been nothing done illegally and while your at it...get you "mate" from dept of qld to get on here and clarrify it if need be, seeing that "he / she" is the person who "knows all"

you have been proven wrong in this case - move on! but i must say...your comments have added quite a lot of comedy for the night!!

FollowupID: 559597

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:25

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:25
>> Vic and QLD require a Mod plate
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttt........No, Vic has no mod plate.

When I modded my GQ, they did not attach a physical mod plate as they do in Qld, they gave me paper work which went to Vicroads with who copied it and told me to keep it with the car.
FollowupID: 559606

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:49

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:49
I know for a fact if one QLD Inspection station passes a vehicle that was stickered, you can get a letter in the mail telling you to have it reinspected at another Inspection Station.

We were at Surfers Paradise one night when QLD Transport had the shaker out and put a Torana over it that was registered that day, he got put off the road right away and tow truck home.

For Bundy, we are just talking and hope it helps others thinking of doing the same.

Hic Hic have another drink.

Going to watch AFL.
FollowupID: 559615

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:55

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:55
And a RWC is valid for how long in QLD?? as you have already allude to people can change stuff from when inspected and then registered.

Whats Bundy got to do with it??
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559617

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 16:33

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 16:33
They weren't legal and he knew it. Cop it sweet. Then either compliance the mods or take them off. Why is it people break the law then attack the cops when they get caught?????
You can get fined for having fishing rod holders on your bullbar too - if they do not have rods in them.
AnswerID: 293596

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:16

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:16
>You can get fined for having fishing rod holders on your
>bullbar too - if they do not have rods in them.

Interesting and assuming what you say is correct; a fishing rod holder is safe if it has a fishing rod in it but it becomes unsafe when the rod is removed? Perhaps it's this kind of logic which encourages people to treat many laws with contempt?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 559264

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:44

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:44
Mike,

I think you will find that it is legal when being used for it's intended purpose. An empty fishing rod holder can be seen as not being used for it's intended purpose. If that makes sense.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559307

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:42

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:42
Mike.
He would love to get the mods passed in Qld, you cant.. Infact his 33's (285)s are illegal in Qld which are his normal daily driver tires....

It seems what is totally legal in other states with engineers is illegal in Qld, thats part of the argument.

Fishing rod holders are illegal.. any sharp protruding object on the bar is... Thank Scruby for that.

Waitin for some of them photos of the conversion Kev for Darkside site... :)
FollowupID: 559343

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:51

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:51
I need somewhere to send them Truckie ;)

See my rig profile for an email addy and I'll get some to you. I can't not have Darkie promote Australias number 1 dual cab conversion place now can I LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559348

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:54

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:54
fu_kew
AT
hotmail
DOT
com
FollowupID: 559351

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 16:50

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 16:50
Bring back capital punishment. Hang the mongrels. Get 'em all back to skinnys and split rims hahahahahaha

AnswerID: 293603

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:24

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:24
Assuming rest of vehicle was OK, and presumably it must have been or they wouldn't have allowed him to drive off, then probably a bit harsh. There are plenty of $hit boxes on the road up here that deserve to be removed before they worry about large tyres.
But unless you're into competition stuff I fail to see the need for bloody big tyres anyway. Perhaps compensating for other personal deficiencies:-)
AnswerID: 293611

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:07

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:07
Once he takes his vehicle for the inspection, QLD transport will go right over it.

They will give him a set time to get it fixed and if it is not the rego will be automatically cancelled and a big X marked against the vehicle's ID.
FollowupID: 559296

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:50

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:50
35's or 33's are not exactly BIG tires.
FollowupID: 559347

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:25

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:25
There is now a nationally agreed limit on tyre dimensions above those placarded for the vehicle. The national agreement was signed by all States and Territories early 2008 I recollect.

It is good to see that absolutely no publicity has been given to this change by any government agency that I am aware of which is probably no real surprise.

For those with tyres that exceed the law I suggest a quick check with your respective state/territory motor registration body to see what can be done, if anything. We are also hearing of some insurance companies taking a lot of interest in 4WD crash's and inspecting vehicles to see if they are illegal in any way.

With impending legislation providing direct guidelines on other 4WD modifications such as lift kits etc almost ready to be agreed to nationally as well then life for us 4WD owners may become more challenging

RobA

AnswerID: 293613

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:48

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:48
The NCOP national rules have not come into force yet..

Infact, at the rate they are going they will be so ancient by the time they come out, that they will have to start again.

There have been rumours they are coming into force for 2 yrs now..
FollowupID: 559346

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:26

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:26
Thats why I got my tyre upgrade blue plated as a legal mod.
Checked the regs for Qld, going up 3" in OD was not legal, so went and paid some one to blue plate them with a modification plate on the firewall.
If the police query it, I lift the bonnet and show them the modification plate.

Sounds like some one knew they were breaking the law and couldn't be bothered following through.

Same with mods to our other cars in the family.

The engine swap in the golf is blue plated. (1.5l to 1.8l GTi)
The seat mods in the beetle are blue plated. (Racing seats)

If in doubt, check the regs and get it approved if you can. The facility is there under the law.

Maybe he was lucky the police didn't do a full check of the vehicle.
Don't know what they might find.
I have been on the side of the road for 30 mins to 60 mins with the police going through everything. Had them check everything like the colour of the indicator lenses and the rubbers on the pedals.
AnswerID: 293615

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:52

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:52
>Had them check everything like the colour of the indicator
>lenses and the rubbers on the pedals.

It occurs to me that the Queensland police may be a little better employed and of more benefit to the community (which is the only reason we have a police force) trying to prevent more serious crime?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 559272

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:52

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:52
PS - that time on side of the road was in a younger life.

Memories - mates hot charger (L38) and LJ toranas with 327 chev engines, and my mini that had 50mm clearance. Mate in an MGB used to outrun the police most times before they got ford GTs.
And a drug search that took 2 hours, and we had to put everything back. It was considered all part of the game, and the police were doing their job. Most of the time they treated you pretty well.
FollowupID: 559273

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:27

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:27
Mike,

Remember that in Qld we don't have the annual checks for registration, where most of these mods would be looked at, and knocked back if not OK.

So the police are the only ones that can stop you ("I didn't see you indicate sir, at the last turn, while you are stopped, lets take a look at the car"), and if they suspect you have done a few mods, they look for something to get you on, and then send you in for a full machinery check. It's the way the system works in Qld if you modify cars. If it is a serious mod, they may stop you there on the side of the road. I have walked/hitched home before now.

The new anti-hooning laws give the police a little more chance to control the situation. Some of my son's friend's street legal (just) cars are seriously fast. Makes the GTHO phase III of old look weak.
FollowupID: 559283

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:57

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:57
is it Qld or NSW people can just call the Roads people adn "dob in" someone they think is illegal and then that person has to bring their car in for a check...?
FollowupID: 559355

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:32

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:32
Vehicle modifications - QLD

You are only able to increase your wheel diameter by 15 mm in QLD without getting the modification paperwork.

And rod holders are only legal when being used.
AnswerID: 293618

Reply By: peterjs - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:36

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 17:36
wow getting a bit heavy now, makes you wonder if we can ever drive a vehicle on the road and be legal, look hard enough and you may find something, so with that I have 285.75.16 on my 203 Landcruiser, am I legal???, on the tyre plate inside the door it does say 285 but nothing about the 75 bit.
Seems a big subject and wonder just why we cant have the same standard Australia wide. Pete
AnswerID: 293620

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:57

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:57
Pete,

I think you will find that it is 235.85.R16
So with 285.75 R16 you will be legal in QLD as that is what I have just had approved by QLD Dept of Transport

The 285 is less than 1.5 times the largest width specified for live front or less than 1.3 times the width for IFS

The 85 to 75 is within the 15mm tolerance.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559308

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:24

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:24
What the fruit is the big problem ,, the vehicle is either legal or it is not legal , if the tyres are of such a nature to render them illegal on the particular vehicle then so be it , wear the consequence ,, mods not complianced mean that your insurance is instantly null and void ,, but but but officer I was only at the servo to fuel up ,, still illegal and still no insurance ,,,
AnswerID: 293629

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:53

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:53
so the car is unroadworthy, illegal and dangerous as you say...

- why did they let him drive it home? Blows the cops MAJOR defect out of the water instantly.
FollowupID: 559350

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:29

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 18:29
I think that to keep things in proportion you ALL should consider that for far TOO long TOO many motorists have got away with far TOO much and in doing so have just gone TOO far with modifications, add-ons, huge aerials (who needs to drive around city with an HF antennae hanging off the front or rear), rocket launchers, driving lights mounted on roof top or high bars etc etc. Perhaps it's time the authorities started to do some cleaning up. When you were a kid and back chatted your parents, did you get a clip over the ears etc. Bet you didn't keep back chatting for much longer. Think you'll find that every once in a while there are crackdowns on unroadworthy vehicles, drink driving, faulty headlights, etc. Something to a 'clip over the ears'. Bit like death and taxes - both inescapable facts of life.
AnswerID: 293631

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:25

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:25
Why do we need all these laws in the first place?????
FollowupID: 559331

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:58
Willem,

Get serious !!! What would this lot have to whinge about otherwise :))))

FollowupID: 559356

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:18

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:18
Oh ...Gawd....Now Greenbottle's arrived.

Ding...Ding....Ding..

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559393

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:16

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:16
3''suspension lift & a 2''body lift fitted with 35" tyres. Should have just painted a great big red target on the car as he was pure & simply asking to be pulled up the way Qld's laws now are.
The way it was handled of course was wrong as he should have been simply warned the 1st time then sent directly home & not drive the car again until it was back in spec. Sometimes making an example of one does have a far greater effect particually now it's being discussed on forums.
Many of these 'winch challenge on a budget' type vehicles do handle & brake very poorly & should be taken off the road but given a clear set of guidelines properly engineered vehicles do have a place.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 293704

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:23

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:23
"properly engineered vehicles do have a place"

Yeah, off the road :)))

Sorry Craig, could'nt resist.

FollowupID: 559396

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:36

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:36
Unfortunately most modified vehicles aren't properly done so you're right Al they should be off the road.
Knowing someone who does fit vehicles out in the moster truck style I have seen when money is spent in the right place these jacked up vehicles can handle & stop better than original. Even though I'm not into it myself there should be some legal avenue for people who like to climb rock walls in their trucks.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 559402

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:41

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:41
I just see too many questionable ones out here ( NW Sydney ). They may very well be legal etc but I doubt that the non-4wd fraternity have any love for them.

FollowupID: 559406

Reply By: Damonw - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:55

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:55
Kev,
I think you will find it's the diameter of the 285 that exceed the legal limit.
I just went through this with my 100 s L/C and you can only exceed the original tire diameter by 15mm so in my case either the standard 275 70 16 or 265 75 16. 285 exceeded the limit legally so therefore no insurance.

Damon.
AnswerID: 293763

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:15

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:15
Thats why I love living up here.

I put 4 cars over MVR twice a year and so long as they are up to scratch Jobs right.

I have taken 2 of my cars over with 285s on and they passed one was on a Troopy and one was on a 80 series, these cars were used as passenger hire and reward cars as well.

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 293857

Sponsored Links