boat anchor winches, what is good and bad?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:08
ThreadID: 55713 Views:11327 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I know its not 4WD stuff but i am sure there is some knoledge out there.
I have a south pacific "windlass" type wind at present but it required rope to be tied off when at anchor and its a bit gutless.
Looking at a drum type as it can hold the rope when at anchor and has more power.
Only thing is it cannot drop anchor fast as i dont think any of then have "free fall" as does the windlass type.
I read somewhere that a drum type winch brand starting with W was very good but not sure what the full name was, does any know?
Regards
GN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:45

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:45
Hi GN
This may help www.stressfreemarine.com.au
I am looking at one of these electric winches for my 6.1 mtr Trailcraft boat. They answer your e-mail queries straight away which is great
Maybe some others out there have had experience with these winches it would be good to here some feed back.
Cheers
Barry
AnswerID: 293650

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:14

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:14
Hi Barry
looked at the "stressfree" this was what my local dealer showed me today but might of been with a differnt name i think, but info and models exactly the same.
I saw a similar design winch recently on a boat i saw parked in SA but owner was not around unfortunatly, it was a "Muir" but when i look on their site i cannot find any drum types?
I am still keen to hear from those who have 1st hand experience with these type of winches and if they have any issues?
I also read on a old fishing forum post that there is a brand that starts wth W and is also the name of a dog, but they dont tell you the actual brand but they recon its very good and tough.
GN
FollowupID: 559325

Reply By: Member - BIGMARK (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:59

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 19:59
Ive read some positive reports on these anchor winches on other sites and am thinking of fitting one to my Haines.
Cheers,Mark.
AnswerID: 293654

Reply By: Dion - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:50

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:50
The StressFree drum winch is a fantastic piece of kit. Customer Service from the Forsters is first class. I only wish I had one of these fitted to my boat, (18' NEREUS) when I brought it. Free fall is not an issue, its pay out speed is so fast, you could still get over run.

Cheers,
Dion.
AnswerID: 293867

Reply By: blackie0070 - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 09:15

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 09:15
GN,
I have a pacific windlass and they do struggle. Stressrelief winches are excellent and have models with freefall however they are quality items and therefore expensive. One thing to note is beware that the recovery drum size allows for enough rope. My mate has one that only fits approx 70mts of 10mm nylon, fine for shallow bay fishing but useless for ocean. I believe that there is another barrell anchor system in Tassie but I can't recall the name of the company.

Good Luck,
Blackie
AnswerID: 293929

Reply By: lbudgie - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 15:43

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 15:43
G N
Check these out. there is also a muer drum winch which looks very simular to the stressfree but have only seen 1 photo of it but no info.

www.woolfwinch.com.au

www.stressfreemarine.com.au

good luck
AnswerID: 293987

Sponsored Links