3 way Caravan fridges

3 way Caravan fridges are poor performers at the hottest times and some fridges dont work at all in the summer. Dometic have some models which are tropical rated RM7401, RM2453 and RM2533 and larger units. The tropical rating means the cabinet should hold 4C in 43C. If you are installed proper and watch how you put warm stuff in and open the fridge they do. So if buying a caravan fridge make sure the cabinet is tropical rated or one of the model numbers.
Thetford have launched 3 models 3 way fridges in Aus and the cabinet is not tropical. At temp 38C will only get 7C cold in the cabinet. Food needs to be stored at 4C for food safety for your family. Make sure if buying caravan you dont get a bad fridge. Dealer warned me of this yesterday when out shopping for new caravan with the bro. Made notes from what the dealer told and showed us to get this post right.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 17:50

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 17:50
Hi, I was having trouble with my 3 way fridge in the Jayco , on hot still days it would tend to defrost the fins under the freezer, but the freezer never had a problem .
I have just come back from hols with all the hot days and no problems since I installed a fan in the top vent out side , I used a 240 volt one as I mainly only stay where there is power, and it is a great inprovement.
I got it from DSE in Adelaide ( $31.00) using info that I received on here, I just mounted it on the inside of the top vent and ran the wire into the cupboard where the breakers are, this year I just used a double adaptor and plugged it in when needed.
Only seems a problem when the breeze is from the other side of the van and dead still hot days,
Very happy with the results, Thanks again to all those who offered advise before, Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 293811

Reply By: wendys - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:20

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:20
Have a Vitrifrigo 12V fridge in the Trakkie. It performs really well in all conditions. In 2006 we spent Sept-Dec not far from Marble Bar (working). Was no shade for van. The fridge kept stuff cool and even the goods in the freezebox stayed frozen. Some days the temp outside the van was close to 50. We have solar panels to charge battery for fridge and lights when "bush". Otherwise, plug into 240V, but the fridge always runs from the battery. I really recommend these: ours is now 10 years old and van has done plenty of rough towing. Has been re-gassed a couple of times.
AnswerID: 293882

Reply By: Flash - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:57

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:57
A friend was looking at a Thetford fridge recently. At my prompting he asked some serious questions on rating- the salesman was saying something along the lines of "Yeh mate, they ARE tropical rated."

Then on further questioning the salesman admitted he didn't really know- the wiring is tropical rated, (NOT the case!) which is absolutely meaningless. Fridge would be dangerous in hot climates!

They should be arrested for peddling such lies on the public!
AnswerID: 294092

Reply By: koel38 - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:00

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:00
G`Day Paul,

I replaced my RM2453 with a Weaco 160lt. recently, the Dometic did not get below 9c in 35c. Weaco is great.

Regards Bob
AnswerID: 294201

Sponsored Links