Kangaroo Island, SA

Submitted: Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:51
ThreadID: 55788 Views:2541 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to SA after Easter and would like to know if we can take our caravan and 4WD across on the ferry to Kangaroo Island, and if so which caravan park you recommend. Any other useful information would also be appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation.

June
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:18

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:18
Phil,

There is heaps of info here;

Sea Link

It is expensive to take your van across, but no problem. The ferries are large and can take large B-Doubles etc.

We like the Western KI Caravan Park which is very close to Flinders Chase National Park. There is heaps of wildlife in the van park and plenty to see down at the western end. We don't take our camper over and simply use the tent. I think you can store your van at Cape Jervis. There are a number of signs on the main road as you enter Cape Jervis, offering storage for vehicles.

I think you need a vehicle over there, because it is quite a large place with the attractions spread over the length of the island. We didn't like the Kingscote Park. Too many campers crowded in to a small area.

I would recommend visiting KI while the weather is still warm. It can get very cold down there in winter.

Enjoy,

Kingo
AnswerID: 294003

Reply By: glids - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:28

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:28
Hi Phil,

Yes, you can take 4WD and 'van on the ferry from Cape Jervis to Penneshaw, but it is not cheap. Depending on timing (School hols etc) you may also need to book well ahead. Contact 'Sealink' for details.

I have not stayed at any of the caravan parks, so cannot comment on facilities etc. I suggest you do a bit of Googling. You can also search for main attractions etc.

KI is well worth seeing. It is quite a large island so take your time, and avoid travelling after dark - lots of road kill each morning.

Good luck,

glids
AnswerID: 294004

Reply By: The Parts Guy - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 18:02

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 18:02
We have stayed at both Kingscote Caravan Park and Western KI Caravan Park, both were fine but different. The one in Kingscote is your typical country town park, losts of facilitys nearby and shopping, fish from the jetty or go out for dinner. While the Western Park is in the bush not far from the major National Park. It might be a bit black at that end of the Island after the recent fires, so I would call them and ask before booking. We are regualr visitors to the Island and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the Island. Mark Mc
AnswerID: 294010

Reply By: Member - The W (WA) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 18:52

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 18:52
Hi Phil,
We are there right now and have been for the last 6 weeks.
Leaving on the 1st April unless we change our minds and stay longer again.
Yes you can take you caravan over.
NOT CHEAP though.
Cost us $657. and a few cents for 2 adults, Toyota Landcruiser and a 16 ft Phoenix caravan.
You have to measure the van including the draw bar and what ever is on the back of the van such as bikes etc although we have met some people that did it over the phone and just said it was a certain type of car and 17.6 van and got away with the rest but of course you are not supposed to do that.
We are very happy in the caravan park her and it is on the edge of the ocean but the tide goes in and out a lot. We ride bikes into town which is only 3 k from here.
Some people came to this one after being in the town park and said they prefer this one but of course that is personal taste.
We have dogs and this is the only one that accepts pets.
Great to walk the dogs along the beach, off lead too so they can have a good run.
Kingscote is the only town as such really. There are other little ones on the island but just with say one general store or a pub and a store.
Lovely place and some great spots to go and lots to see and do.
Don't hesitate to ask if there is something else you want to know about the place and I'll reply.
We just bought an investment property here with a top tenant in it. Stayed here to give it a paint job etc.
Have a super Easter break.
Hey, at this time of year you will NEED TO phone and check if there is ferry space left and a bay in the park but I heard the caravan park owner chatting on the phone this morning saying it is not busy after the 24th. Check anyhow.
There are 2 ferry companies.
KI Ferry which goes to and from Wirrina and Kingscote townsite (08 8598 2000) and the other is Sealink running to and from Jarvis Bay and Penneshaw (131301).
KI Ferry is a longer on the water trip, goes further. Depends on where you are coming from and going to after.
You can book one over and the other back if you want as there is no discount on a return fare with either.
Cheers,
The Wattos.
AnswerID: 294023

Follow Up By: Member - The W (WA) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 19:15

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 19:15
Sorry Phill, having a bad moment.
I just noticed I put the words "town park" instead of "out of town park". The one on the other side of the island.
Brownlow Holiday Units and caravan park is on (08) 8553 2293 that is the one we are in near the main town. We are very happy here. Not into 4 places, we like it friendly but not packed and it is not like that here.
There are lots of other places for camping at a very cheap rate especially if you don't have a pet but still plenty if you do.
We are leaving this park on the morning of the 27th and will go to Stokes Bay, dogs permitted there too.
Could send you a photo if you want.
Cheers,
The Wattos.
FollowupID: 559770

Reply By: Member - The W (WA) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 19:03

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 19:03
Sorry Phil,
I forgot to say there is no charge for pets.
We came over on the Sealink ferry and you can take the pets up on the deck with you but not to the inside section where the TV and lounge style seating is.
Plenty of room and seats on the deck where you can go though.
They said you can also leave them in your car or the caravan if you want which is what we did as this is home for them.
Been on the road for 4.5 years with thme now.
Also you should know that you are not permittred to bring either potatoes or honey onto the island at all.
We were not checked but they do check often so we have been told since.
I would not do it anyhow if it is not allowed as it is the livelyhood of hard working people.
You can buy honey here no trouble and t is KI honey. Lovely honey, we jut love the creamed honey made by BELLEVISTA. our preference to the other one here.
Cheers
The Wattos.
AnswerID: 294026

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 00:13

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 00:13
Have not been there for years, but if the roads are like they used to be WATCH OUT FOR THE IRON STONE PEBBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!
30km/hr around a bend just might see you facing the wrong way, or greeting a tree!
Great place though
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 294321

Sponsored Links