Not one EO sticker in Avoca Victoria but two sighted, oh, plus Kath too

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 19:55
ThreadID: 55815 Views:2353 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Once again at Glenpatrick for our first weekend since the EO weekend in November last year we discover two other EO members visiting Avoca apart from seeing local Chris G. Thanks for a tea and break Chris, it was nice to chat and think about Innamincka in July. I am sure we will all get there despite my new Seniors card yet to be printed.

We meet Phil G and Outandabout David and their better halves who are on a club visit. It seems the forests are full of the sounds of Adelaidians and Ballarattians so there was really no one at the Adelaide football after all. Plenty of bikes, (too many perhaps) but talked to one guy who has been visiting for fifteen years.

Kath seemed to lap up the steep slopes with traction control despite the Roadgrippers attempt at chirping on getting grip occasionally. Yet to learn all the lintricacies of the AHC (Active Height Control) but am getting there. Just turn off the ignition and start again. Doesn't need the revs I needed with Moses to overcome the gearing.

The Pyrenees beautiful at any time of year........ :-)))))))))))
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 20:03

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 20:03
Chirping tyres to get grip or to get new tyres before Innaminka??

If you keep on chirping them you will be able to use your seniors card for the first time when you get the replacements.

The kids are still talking about the Pyrenees so I guess we will be returning at some stage in the future.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 294136

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 20:25

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 20:25
Kev, we are only about 20 metres from where you were camped too. The memory is still here, where you buried the cat. LOL
FollowupID: 559945

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 08:03

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 08:03
Only one cat???

I am sure there was more but most of them were over near Willems camping spot LOL
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 559996

Reply By: Nick R (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 21:53

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 21:53
didn't scratch the sahara did you?
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 294150

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 22:14

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 22:14
Was that a bang in between the rear wheels I heard, or just the gentle screech of the branches on the duco LOL
FollowupID: 559957

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 20:03

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 20:03
Just as well you guys weren't driving or there could have been damage. We went for a drive just on dark the other evening up Avery, and down New Avery just to test the agility. I dropped the tyre pressures next morning.

I saw a guy in a Landy turn tail and drive away from a rock shelf I was about to drive up on Sardine Track Nick. Kath took it all in her stride, just the tyre short comings. A little bit of moisture today kept the dust to a minimum as there was plenty about yesterday.

FollowupID: 560075

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 22:26

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 22:26
Gday John,
That was a real surprise seeing you and Heather in Avoca!!
It was one of the best long weekends we've had. Covered a lot more tracks than last time. Had a touch of rain yesterday too that kept the dust down.

I think Dave S was heading for Ballarat today.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 294513

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 22:41

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 22:41
Glad you had a great weekend Phil. I guess we knew you could be around from previous conversations. Nice to meet your good lady too.

We went up the Sardine Track after seeing you folks. There was a Landy above us looking at a rocky shelf but turned away from the drop. We climbed it, well Kath did. LOL

I am still figuring out the AHC and the need to switch the engine off to cancel what it decides to do automatically. I guess it is stuffed by having the Polyairs there fiddling amidst the car brain.

The bit of dust was kept to a minimum yesterday, we did the Landsborough Ridge and heard a lot of other while on scan. We headed home late in the day. Met up with a guy doing his first recce there - no UHF as far as we could see. Suggested a few tracks for hm to try out. He reads EO apparently so I hope he got on well in his GU 4.2
FollowupID: 560406

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 08:25

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 08:25
We did parts of Landsborough Ridge on Sunday too. Saw a friendly group of Jeeps there too, who happily let our group of 10 through, while they got off the track. Old Bluff was probably the most "interesting" track we did, but theres a fair bit of challenging driving to be found.

It was my first trip with the Boss airbags on the rear - I was a bit reluctant to fit them at first because rear suspension travel was reduced by 40mm down and 70mm up. With 5psi in them, they were still pretty stiff, so I took all the air out of them, and they were better. I don't do much rock crawling these days, so I'll leave them in. They certainly keep the rear end up in the air, and are very good in reducing the sway on the highway.
FollowupID: 560430

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:38

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:38
Phil, we heard a group on UHF 15 on the Landsborough Ridge and had heard a friendly interchange about letting people through or at least part of it. Heard people talk of going down Sardine Track too. We hadn't been able to discern which groups were which so left alone.

We had done a lot of the Landsborough Ridge with Des Lexic and others a couple of years ago and I also did it with Bonz and Lucky in our recce where Bonz had to be towed home. The beautiful trees along the track were amazing and we photographed them again. I have submitted one to the ABC for the weather background shot.

Just looking at the tail up attitude of Kath makes me think I had her brain stuffed up with the Polyairs. They were set up for towing and carrying a load. I have asked detail on a switch from the US to be able to keep the height to what I set rather than set to auto.
FollowupID: 560552

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:10

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:10
Yep, the Melbourne Jeep Club and ourselves were both on 15.

The Blue Gums near the top were brilliant - a couple of slightly burnt areas had the new plants, and others showed the transition of the blue leaves into green as the trees got bigger. Saw a Koala up there too.

Some detail on that switch on LCOOL that I guess you may have seen:
100scool thread

Another link

FollowupID: 561016

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:41

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:41
I have sent an email to the US supplier as the fellow who has them on LCOOL actually has a very considerable markup on them.

We saw a koala too and and travelled through the burnt section on our way along the Landsborough Ridge.
FollowupID: 561311

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:05

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:05
Hi John

"The Pyrenees beautiful at any time of year........ "

You make it sound so nice I will have spend some time there instead of just driving past so often.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 294545

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:46

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:46
G'day Robin, yes indeedie "The Pyrenees beautiful at any time of year........ " The tracks there are variable and a delight but just ask some of the EO members who have the records Robin and we can send refernces of testing and picturesque tracks depending on your whim.

Rock Crawler said after the EO Gathering there, that the tracks could test skill but you could do all he saw without damaging your car. That is important too.

Another imprtant thing it is probably just three hours from your place, assuming just the other side of central Melbourne. I think Moggs said it was 3.5 from him. Lucky said just a "cupla hours' for his Troopy, but then he did run a tyre off a rim getting there, while talking on the phone.

Robin, there are maps configured on Members File Swap area but I have a 6 meg combination CFA one if you want to look closer.
FollowupID: 560557

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:47

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:47
Nearly missed your post there John.

Wouldn't mind a look at the 6 meg one as I don't have anything very good in that area. We are a bit spoilt on east side of melbourne with rooftop maps of most areas.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 560878

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:02

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:02
Shhsh John, Don't tell any of the Vics what lies on their doorstep.....
At the weekend, the South Aussies outnumbered the Vics in the Pyrenees by about 10 to 1........hehe
FollowupID: 561013

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 21:34

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 21:34
Another batch of high quality Sth Aussies were next door at Little Desert too, only CHALLENGE we had was Roachy LOL
Most of the mexicans were probably over in SA at places like Robe!!

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 295113

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 22:00

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 22:00
John,

Sorry for the late reply but just got a moment to look at the forum. We went onto Ballarat Monday and then back for work on Thursday. Had a fantastic time and thanks for your info.
It was great to catch up with you. When someone came into the deli and said a Victorian was looking for me,I nearly crapped myself .Thought it must be a copper waiting for collection on an old speeding fine.

Certainly some nice scenery and tracks. Always thought it was so far away but is actually closer than the Flinders for us.
AnswerID: 295336

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 22:07

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 22:07
Hope you enjoyed Ballarat too mate. Had I known about that speeding fine.... .......... ....... ;-))))

Interesting it is close than the Flinders for you. I was amazed at the SA registered vehicles there, and bikes too, so many of those. I had met up with Chris G too, just before we saw you guys. Chris had helped our Gathering preparations with his local connections no end. Chris is intending to get to Innaminka too.
FollowupID: 561334

Sponsored Links