Cooloola/Noosa North Shore Managment - Possible Vehicle fees - Have your say.

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 01:05
ThreadID: 55821 Views:2841 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Many of you who visit Cooloola/Fraser Isalnd may not be aware that the Qld Govt is requesting submissions on this issue.

According to this document Strategic Directions for Cooloola pdf
It seems that Noosa North Shore may become a Managed recreation area.
Under the heading of Vehicle Managment on Pages 4 and 5 several issues are discussed which may impact on the accessibility and affordability for the average person. Stating that this can involve the collection of fees via vehicle permit. (Among other things)

There are some hot issues relating directly to the Beach section. -- Hoons and Safety, Damage to the Environment etc etc

There is much debate over these issues and I can see why.

Without being too simplistic.

Will fees will deter hoons? Or families?
Will Numbers drop off anyway as petrol prices hit pockets?

After all the extreme weather events recently it seems that the narrow strip of new growth vegetation below the dune cliffs is susceptible to more damage from storms and cyclones than 4 Wheel Drives and Campers.
It would be unrealistic to attempt to protect any vegetation below the dune cliffs that wont disappear in the next bad cyclone or Rain event There are currently hundreds of landslips after the big rains over the last 6 months.

It would be good to know that if changes are to be made they are not kneejerk reactions to raise revenue and don't have any positive impact on the quality of experience and sustainability of the area.

The EPA have extended the time for submissions but have not publicised this very widely.

So if anybody would like a say in how this area is managed have a look at the document.

Email (address on the document as well) cooloola.consultations@epa.qld.gov.au

There is also an interesting article with reader comments in the local newspaper.
Sunshine Coast Daily Article.

cheers

Kerry W

Oh and some pics of some of Natures work.
Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:00

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:00
Kerry
I was there for Easter 97, The place was packed and hard to find a good spot to spend the night, I don't have an issue with people doing donuts in the sand as one bloke did with a old Cruiser with a V8 in it but NOT where people camp with Kids, those actions are ok maybe when the beach area is not inhabited with campers, The Qld Transport Inspectors do patrols checking for speeding 4x4s, seatbelts, and Hoons during holidays and I reckon that should be enough, As for payment you have to pay to stay overnight anyhow,
Any wheel grooves from donuts are wiped out on the next tide too, I guess it's hard for some to use common sense and they're the one's that make it hard for all, the minority affects the majority every time,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 294194

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:01

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:01
Hi Kerry,

Qld is sounding more like NSW every day. I don't think you are being too simplistic; this is how all governments handle everything. They don't fix things; they just introduce laws, regulations, fees and fines.

Yes, fees deter families. Maybe that is incorrect; it deters low income families. Here in NSW the crowds that invade the coastal National Parks in holiday season are driving flash new vehicles and have the latest everything in camping gear/accessories/sports and outdoor equipment.

It costs more to go camping than to go to a caravan park with a pool, amenities, kiosk etc
AnswerID: 294195

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:41

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:41
We took part in a census taken late last year, we have camped at
Teewah Beach / Northshore Area for over twenty odd years, two
parties taking the census were National Parks and the then Noosa
Council which have recently amalgamated, they are trying to put
less stress on the available camp sites, up the beach, the old way
they were doing this was to close down a section, for a period of time cram other areas in peak periods, they intend to make a higher
camping fee and also charge to just take your vehicle on to the beach like day trippers, similar to Fraser Island, inturn they are going
to make more improvements in the area, even installing extra toilets
showers and a Timber Access Area at the Second entrance on to the
beach, the only thing I am against, is they are talking of closing the
First entrance on to the beach of Maximillian Drive Northshore, also
banning vehicles, from driving along the beach to the actual
Northshore River Mouth, I suspect it has some thing to do with
development of Town Houses facing the ocean.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 294209

Sponsored Links