Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:15
Hello Marble.

Also ask on the Expander Owners Australia site:
http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/expandaownersaustralia/

Regards: Grant.
AnswerID: 294563

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:33

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:33
Bought one in 2005. Towed it to many places. Off road? Depends on your interpretation of the term. Been on many dirt roads and minor tracks. The trailer construction is good. The drawer runner end support brackets are next to useless. I have replaced these with solid noggins. The trailer tracks well, rides well and it has held together.
Great Van if you have a family.
AnswerID: 295048

Follow Up By: Marble - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:18

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:18
Thanks AJB for your reply re expandas. Was wondering about tracks like middle of oz around birdsville for example, more than run of the mill dirt rodes. We do have a family thats the attraction of the expandas and any other advice you have would be great. Thanks marble
FollowupID: 561302

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 19:04

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 19:04
Marble, what State are you in?

Of Australia, ie, not "condition". lol
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 295055

Follow Up By: Marble - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:21

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:21
Gone bush, NSW but looking to travel through middle of oz, and over to WA later in the year. thanks marble
FollowupID: 561304

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:22

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:22
More adise! I kinda classify the roads around Birdsville as "run of the mill" dirt roads. When I mean "Off Road" it is either that or high country fire trail/tracks. I had an off road Eagle and towed that up and down the Tanami road and around Lake Gregory and onto the top end of the Canning a few times due to floodwater and many other places in the NW and FNQ. It handled that easily and what attracted me to the expanda, apart from the size, layout and ease of erection and pack up, was the chasis was the same or better than the Eagle.

I know a lot of people will say "It'll fall apart" "It's not strong enough" Buy a 10 tonne Bushtracker" etc etc etc but a lot of people do stupid things when travelling and especially towing. A lot drive like there is nothing on the back, still try and travel at excessive speeds and do not take the due care or even routinely check their vehicles let alone what they are towing.

The stony desert sections are where the damage generally occurs. The rocks can smash a lot of things hanging under the van and around the draw bar. It is not too hard to add some protection to these areas especially the water tank outlet and inlet and the electric brake wiring. Through experience I have added additional protection to these. Other things inside the van are easily repaired if needed and I think every van needs minor work at some stage.

They are a good van. Jayco have dealers all over Australia so the service is there when needed. Some owners may have issues with them but Jayco have over 60% of the caravan market so there will issues at times.

Would I tow me Expanda to Birdsville? Yes and it'd do it easily. I would add some more stone guarding to the front, mainly to reduce the chance of breaking the rear glass in the patrol, take my time and drive to the conditions. Those last two points are the key to successful "Off Road" towing.

Good Luck
AB
AnswerID: 295975

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:36

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:36
Marble

What sort of battery setup and charging system do you have?

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 295976

Sponsored Links