Mount Augustis

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 16:11
ThreadID: 55836 Views:1985 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A group of us are wanting to go to Mt.Augustis national park in July. What is the road to Mt.Augustis from Paraburdoo like, is it OK for onroad caravans? Any comments would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jon W (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 20:26

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 20:26
Turk,
In 2006, there were many creek crossings with steep entries and exits. I think an onroad caravan would have suffered terminally.
Jon W
AnswerID: 294277

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 21:50

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 21:50
Went through there November last year & as Jon W mentioned, unless you have high clearance on your vans I wouldn't recommend it. Passed a couple of vehicles towing offroad vans who didn't seem to have any problems though. The Mt. Augustus/Dooley Downs road will be OK if you take it easy as there was a lot of loose gravel & a few sharp bends. The run from Paraburdoo to Ashburton Downs is where you might strike trouble.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 560091

Reply By: Member - Doug I (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 22:39

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 22:39
We were there in Oct 07, came in from Meekatharra and exited via Ashburton Downs on our way to Mt Tom Price. Whilst we were towing a camper trailer and had no problems, we met up two couples who were towing on-road vans.
They made it out ok, but took their time (7 hrs to cover 250k's) - although they did go through several tyres on the trip. The road was rough with lots of courrugations and loose gravel and the creek crossings were very steep both entering and exiting. It is an amazing place and well worth the visit - the view from the top is absolutely awesome!

Good luck with the trip
AnswerID: 294304

Reply By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 16:34

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 16:34
Hi Turk,

I did that road in July 07 (Paraburdoo - Ashburton Downs - Pingandy - Dooley Downs - Mt Augustus).

With our camper trailer is was easy peasy. IF you had a large on-road caravan then I'd advise against it. Some of the creek crossings along the Pingandy Creek were fairly steep - you'd end up "dragging your arse" on a few occasions.

If you had a smaller on-road van, then you'd probably get through OK. Slow and steady would definitely be the strategy. Also sections of that road have sharp rocks, so you'd want to ensure that your tyres would be up to it.

Regards
Stephen J.
VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 294430

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 16:41

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 16:41
Now that I read the replies above mine - I'm inclined to agree with them.

Your van would have to have a pretty decent "departure angle" to get up and down those creek crossings.

Regards
Stephen J.
VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 560301

Reply By: jeepthing - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 19:05

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 19:05
Turk,
I travelled from Mt Augustus to Paraburdoo via Ashburton Downs last September. The road from Mt Augustus to the Ashburton Downs Road intersection was very good. I was advised at the resort that it is not a well used road so it is isolated. We didn't see another vehicle all day. I was towing an offroad Jayco Penguin. There are sections containing gibbers and there are sections where you need to cross quite a few gullies that are likely to cause you some problems when exiting rather than entering. The main Pigandy Creek crossing could cause you a problem in terms of clearance for your van. It's rocky but there was a fairly high build up between the tyre tracks.
I found the road from the Dooley Downs/Ashburton Downs Road intersection to the Ashburton Downs/Paraburdoo Road intersection to be very rough in sections and would be the riskiest in causing damage to your onroad van IF you drive like a maniac.
While I was at Mt Augustus a couple of onroad vans and some conventional vehicles arrived and they came through from Carnavon, Gascoyne Junction and Cobra route. I understand that most conventional vehicles/vans enter and exit this way.

Having said all this, what type of on road van do you all have? Some of the latest brands really have beefed up their chassis and springs as well as their height. I've sold my penguin and I'm getting a 16 foot single axle van and all they have to do to make it off road is add a 4' riser 15" off road tyres and heavy duty suspension. I could have simply left the height as was and just put on heavy duty suspension and 15' tyres and with that configuration I would have had no concerns about going that route and taken my time.

What length are your vans, are they all single axle? What is their height off the road/clearance at the rear?

In my travels over the last few years I have seen some onroad vans in some places that has surprised me and they have done it because they were careful.

Also it could well be that those roads will have been graded just before you do your
trip

Mt Augustus is a top place and it's like an emu egg is to a chook egg when comparing it to Ayres Rock
AnswerID: 294472

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 19:10

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 19:10
Turk,

I tried to attach a couple of pics of the from Mt Augustus to the Ashburton Downs/Dooley Downs Road intersection. If you are interested could you provide me your email address and I'll send them to you via email.

Roscoe
FollowupID: 560350

Follow Up By: Turk - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:19

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:19
Thanks to all those who replied to my query re the trip to Mt.Augustis .The van that I have is a Jayco Freedom 17.6 tandem axle. I have underslung the axles to give me extra height and have travelled extensively in the outback and we drive to the road conditions.

Thanks once again
FollowupID: 561790

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:48

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:48
Turk,
Sounds like you have a bit of experience with outback roads and know what you are doing. I've had a look at a Jayco Freedom and I feel standard they would have enough clearance to not cause you any exit problems and you have raised your's a bit and you're going to be travelling in a group so I'd give it a go.

Enjoy the trip.
FollowupID: 561804

Sponsored Links