timing belt on paj 3.5

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 17:07
ThreadID: 55840 Views:1835 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi can some one tell me i have a 2001 pajero that has a hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt , on the tensioner pulley do the 2 holes for adjusting the tension surpose to be above the bolt that tightens the pulley or bellow . the manual shows both ? cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 19:44

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 19:44
just did one on friday and holes went above the bolt
remember to measure your tentioner gap and after turning the motor over a cpl of times manually to recheck the gap
cheers
AnswerID: 294272

Reply By: RoyHarv - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 21:48

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 21:48
G'Day Zacc
I have to do the timing belt on my 3.5 in the next couple of months. Would appreciate if you could share anything like:-
How long did it take? (It will be first time for me with the Pajero.)
Do you have any special tools?
What sort of cost to expect for parts?
Any other problems or lessons learnt?
Anyway, good luck with your job & hope it went well!
Cheers Roy
AnswerID: 294288

Reply By: psproule - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 05:43

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 05:43
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/

I am fairly sure there is a write up on it in the Gen 3 forums somewhere. Otherwise PM me and I might be able to help from the manual.
AnswerID: 294334

Reply By: bludog - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:32

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:32
The correct way to tension these belts, compress the hydraulic tensioner SLOWLY in a vice and insert a pin, refit to engine with new belt in place and all timing marks in line, loosen tensioner pulley bolt and insert cir clip pliers into two holes in pulley, turn pulley anti clockwise until the pin is loose in the hydraulic tensioner (leave pin in), turn engine clockwise twice until marks line up again leave sit for five minutes, if pin is still able to be removed and replaced ie loose tension is correct.
Things to be careful of, if this is a quad cam the drivers exhaust cam will fall over when old belt is removed no big deal, but if is twin cam or one cam per head the drivers side cam will be just balancing at tdc and if bumped will fall over and this can some times push a valve into a piston so treat it carefully or have an assistant hold in position.
Also it is easer to hold belt on cam sprockets with large paper clip or bulldog clip.
Good luck
AnswerID: 294929

Sponsored Links