All Terrain Tyres for 80 Series

Submitted: Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:01
ThreadID: 55860 Views:2352 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am just about to replace a couple of tyres on my 80 series. Currently I have Cooper ST in 265/75R16 on 7 inch rims. They were on the car when I bought it and I have been reasonable happy with them. They have chipped pretty badly and I lost big chunks out of two and had to replace them, but I have had not flats in 25k (about two thirds on gravel). I live in the Pilbara and so spend a lot of time on gravel. I was interested in people’s experiences with brands other than Cooper and BFG. Any feedback on Mickey Thompson FC-II? What other tyres do you recommend (especially cheaper ones)? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have done a fair bit of reading but still not sure which way to go.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:10

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:10
We were happy with our coopers too and have gone them again...
but from what Ive read it seams to be that the "not so big brands" dont last as long...like the scorpion brand and a few others. There is another tyre we had never heard of until the other day and they are the "General Tyres"....Father in law has them on the new pajero but hasnt done any off road work, there are a couple of posts about them on here and so far people seem happy weith them......they are from USA.......

I know Bucky has got 100,000km (2yrs) out of his AT coopers with no worries at all........we had the stt's on our 80 series...went like a dream, chipped up a fair bit but lost no chunks.

General Grabber AT2 thread

Hope this helps....

Laura

AnswerID: 294385

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:11

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:11
Everyone's sick of that tyre question :-))

But in the Pilbara, they seem to have a preference for Bridgestone tyres. Bridgestone have just released a "new" D694 AT tyre that they claim is a lot more puncture resistant than anything else (time will tell!). Goodyear Silent Armour are also very good for not chipping.
AnswerID: 294546

Follow Up By: Manus - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:49

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:49
Yeah I know the tyre thing is over done but it is a difficult decision to make as there are so many options and every tyre sales man has a different opinion. Thanks for your input.
FollowupID: 560458

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:13

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:13
And regarding Mickey Thompson FC-II. The people I know who have them, have all had punctures. Plugged another one yesterday - but that was just a short TEK screw - I was surprised the screw was long enough to puncture the steel belt.
AnswerID: 294549

Reply By: hotfishez - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:14

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:14
I am in Tom Price and run Mickey Thompson MTX's on my 80 series. 285/75/16
FC II are not an off road tyre so I would steer clear of them in this area. I am absolutley wrapped with the mtz's thus far but not sure at this stage the life I will get with them, only had them on for a short period of time. I will never run another Cooper, tread separation is my biggest concern, have had two seperate within a month or two a couple of years ago. I ran TOYO OPATs on my 80 series and had a great run from them, 80,000kms and still a bit left in them, bridgestones only last around 40k.
BFG AT are great when they are available, friends have found them to be hard to get a hold of at times.
Its 6 of one half dozen the other depending on how hard you run them.
General and on the Highway, TOYO OPAT's hands down and a good all rounder, survived the Karratha access road numerous times, can be a bit slippy in the mud.
If not, BFG AT's never used them but many say they are a good all rounder, will get tread chip however.

AnswerID: 294598

Sponsored Links