Would you tell a stranger you favorite fishing spot??

Submitted: Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 23:12
ThreadID: 55884 Views:3156 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
On Saturday I was at the servo getting a bag of ice and some cool drinks, when a stranger walks up to me, after over hearing me talk about killing fish, He says were is the best place to catch fish here, me being a smart ass said in the water, He says so your not going to tell me? I said ok then drive down the road 100 km and turn left at the first green tree, Not seeing a boat I then said look ok any culvert or of any bridge at the moment.

He then told me to F--- off.

I said ok and went fishing, all in all I had a good weekend with 8 fish only a couple of keepers that went to Pattsy and Philip landed his first Barra this afternoon.

I had a fun easter and hope you did to.

Cheers Steve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 23:31

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 23:31
I dunno If i lob into town I usually ask at the local tackle store when i get my bait. You wont get the secret spot but you usually get a good starting point from which to explore from
AnswerID: 294520

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 13:40

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 13:40
At least you have bought some bait and maybe a couple of lures so the tackle shop(Hate americanisms) is getting something in return and you would expect to get some advice.
I think Steve has the right to keep his spots personal although the bloke may never come to him for a tour. Mind you, he probably wouldn't anyway as he was after something for nothing. I guess he got what he payed for. LOL
FollowupID: 560484

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 23:49

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 23:49
Imagine walking up to a strange fossicker in a bar, and asking where's the best place to find gold around here?
Mate it just insn't done!
I would have sent him elsewhere.
AnswerID: 294524

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 23:56

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 23:56
I used to cringe i had a mate who would walk into the pub and would ask where the best goat shooting spots were -- and fully expect an answer.

I reckon nothing is a closer gaurded secret inland than a mans secret yabby dam
Its kept more secret than where you found the last big nugget
FollowupID: 560417

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 00:11

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 00:11
G'day Steve

I personally would tell anyone where my favourite fishing spot is...i mean why not?? You cant fish 24hrs a day , and stiff bleep if someone goes and catches a few fish in your fave spot..Being from Port Lincoln originally i know heaps of good spots to catch fish , and have told heaps of people where they are.... I remember the first time i fished the roper river, there was a few people camped just across from where we were camped, we got to camp late this paticular night and noticed they were cleaning some nice sized Barra, one of the fellas that was with us casually walked over and introduced himself , and of course the subject of where they got their fish from came up.....30klms down river came the reply, next day we get into boat and off we go ...Huh what a load of bleep e , we were the only silly bastards fishing that far away from the The Roper Bar, and guess what ?? No F*%#in fish...well later that afternoon we decided we would go and chuck a few lures from the Bar , we were only there about 5mins and we were onto them , we bagged out on Barra ....Later on one of our group was talkin to a young kid that was part of the bulls h i t artists group and he told us that they had actually caught their fish the night b4 from same place, not 30 ks down river at all.....Bastards ...lol

Cheers.......Dave
AnswerID: 294525

Follow Up By: madfisher - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 13:03

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 13:03
Mate you should have thanked them for sending you to a great spot, They would have been down their next day lol.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 560480

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 00:19

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 00:19
As you just love Country Music and in particular Slim Dusty, one of the titles of a Fishing related song is

"The Only Time a Fisherman Tells the Truth is when he call's another a Liar"

, Catch some gooduns eh

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 294526

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 00:51

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 00:51
Went out on a fishing charter at esperance and caught some nice fish, Queen snapper ETC.
The jetty has a great cleaning table (not where the boats are launched) with water so i piled all the fish up and got to work. All the people heading onto the jetty asked where i got them and i just old them "up the end"
sheesh were they in a hurry to get down the jetty
AnswerID: 294527

Reply By: jeepthing - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:11

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:11
I assume your are talking about barra and I take it fishing tours is part of your business if it is the more reason not to tell him. Even if it isn't if the guy is an experienced barra fisherman he should be able to find them himself as he should know where they are likely to be how to fish with a live bait and how to use a lure.

If you do engage in fishing guide activities the guy is a bleep he should have went with you then went back to your spots!!!
AnswerID: 294547

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:25

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:25
No I don't do fishing tours, to many others doing that, my tours are land based day tours to the major waterfalls.

It was more the way he asked, that lead to the way I answered him.

Any way he had a 2 wheel drive no boat and I was fishing the other side of the magela that was 1.1 metres deep.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 560493

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 16:22

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 16:22
I had a look at your site and noticed you seem to concentrate on land operations then I thought you might have another business as a fishing guide.
Anyway I wouldn't have told him either if he knows how to catch barra he should be good enough to locate their likely haunts and work them. If he doesn't know how to catch them then he should spend some money and go out with a guide and find out.
FollowupID: 560513

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:53

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:53
very Australian !
like not being an organ donor, or bashing your wife, or having a pregnant daughter with 15, or thinking that bashing your kids is ok for 85%, like being the second worst country after US in animal protection (cats and dogs excluded) .. like hating the successful and sticking to the losers ... well I could go on ..

have fun
gmd
AnswerID: 294571

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:27

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:27
What???????????

Steve
FollowupID: 560496

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn G (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:42

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:42
Very Australian

Like providing public housing,care for the aged,social security for the unemployed,single mothers pention,Well I could go on !!!!

Cheers
Very Ossie Giffo OI OI OI
FollowupID: 560580

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:05

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:05
There's a reason why they are called secret LOCAL fishing spots. Because if you are not a local then you don't know about them. If you want to know about them then become a local.

Get to know some blokes as mates and they will soon tell you where the good spots are. Meet some stranger for the first time and he won't tell.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 294574

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 16:56

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 16:56
Steve,

I agree with your response but maybe you could have told him that without a boat he could not get up the creek to be without the proverbial pedal.

On another note and I think this is a fair question who would you call a stranger? I would not consider an EO member MM me as a stranger (strange maybe) and would tell what little I knew. They're smarter than to ask me anyway. I have done the same in reverse and asked strangers but possibly in a nicer way than your guy with better results. Some people are just overly sensitive I reckon.

Kind regards

Theo
AnswerID: 294630

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:03

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:03
Steve

Just bought a boat today. Do you know any good fishing spots?

Just joking. I wouldn't have told him either.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 294672

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 23:02

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 23:02
G'day Tjilpi

Next time i'm up your way mate , i'll be looking for you to show me some of your great spots...lol

Cheers......Dave
FollowupID: 560844

Sponsored Links