Non-canvas tent

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 15:54
ThreadID: 55900 Views:1409 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We need to replace the tent.
Considering a non-canvas model because it will get minimal use (have a CT) and they are lighter (will be carried on roof rack and canvas tents can be a bit heavy, especially when wet, and the weight seems to be increasing more so as the age of the poor bugger trying to chuck it up there increases!).
Major features we need are: room to stand up; quick and easy to put up and take down; durable; and room for 3 people.
Use will be restricted to short-term (overnight or couple of nights per spot) thus reason for ease of putting up and taking down.
Thanks in advance for your replies from the Moose.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mike1289 - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:06

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:06
I know you are trying to get away from canvas, but we have just had three nights out over the easter weekend at a different site each night with our brand new "Oztent" RV5. After years of putting up lightweight nylon "family tents" with a million guy ropes and bungied poles, it was a revelation. They claim a 30 second erection and they are right. The RV5 is the 5 man version, but the RV3 should be the one to go for. Yes it is a little on the heavy side, but even wet, I had it atop my Patrol with no dramas.
And yes relatively expensive, but you get what you pay for!

We were travelling with experienced 4x4 campers (mostly with camper trailers) and they were all impressed. Primarily because we were sat with our first beer of the night whilst they were still setting up!

Keep Camping.
Mike

AnswerID: 294633

Follow Up By: Lyds- Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 22:36

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 22:36
I saw an oztent set up this weekend where they joined up two tents with the awning connector. I didn't see inside but it looked spacious (huge) and was certainly impressive.
FollowupID: 560649

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:10

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:10
One of the Black Wolf turbos would probably suit. We are eying off the 240 lite for our next tent.
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 294634

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:01

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:01
We just had our first weekend with a BlackWolf turbo lite plus. Big tent (10x16). Very quick to put up, but took a while to get it back into its bag. But at 17kgs, its very light and well made.
FollowupID: 560560

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:59

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:59
G'day Phil
How quick is very quick? And why the difficulty getting it back into the bag?
Cheers from the Moose
FollowupID: 560727

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 18:05

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 18:05
If I had a bit of practice, I reckon I'd have the basic tent up in 2 minutes and the fly on it in another 4 minutes. Technique is to pull it out of the bag, undo one strap, 4 pegs, then pull each leg straight, and pop the middle up. The back section needs 2 more pegs and the aluminium pole support slipped in. That bits very quick and easy. Hardest thing with the fly is to work out which bit is the front. Once orientated, its just 4 clips, a couple of pegs, and two poles and ropes at the front.

To pack up takes more time. The fly is simply unclipped and thrown into the bag. The main tent is also easy - just pull the middle in, pull the pin on each leg and down it goes. But to get it all into a compact shape is not easy - need to fold each of the 4 sections in, and get a strap tight around it. Then its a tight squeeze into the bag. The poles originally went into the bag, but I'd give it no chance now.

My solution will be to store the poles and fly in separate bags, unless my technique improves considerably! But the tent is very light and easy to handle, so its not a big issue.
FollowupID: 560750

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:06

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:06
Hi Moose

They are some of the reasons we mostly camp with our dome tents rather than canvas ones.

While Canvas is stronger etc and the time to erect is quick everything is physically harder.

Tend to throw the dome out after about 3 years as they don't last.

Our current one is called "Eildon" made by spinnfex and came in at 8kg before I began throwing out some of its 28 pegs and other useless bits.

Its only 185cm in centre , 4 person size so it takes 3 ok and is easy to live with.

What do you want for $79 - one can pay more for a room overnight these days.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 294755

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:54

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:54
G'day Robin
How long to set up?
Cheers from Moose
FollowupID: 560726

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:37

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:37
Hi Moose

Takes about 8-10 minutes of low level activity to put up, whereas
our pryamid style 1 minute canvas tent takes about 5 min and requires significantly more physical effort.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 560737

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)