Gawler Ranges - anyone been lately?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:12
ThreadID: 55905 Views:2584 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just thinking about a destination for a short trip (5 - 6 days) in a few weeks. What is the Gawler Range like? Now that we can take the ferry across it cuts out a bit of travel time - does cost $210 each way though. Maybe boat over and drive back.

What to do, where to stay, etc etc. Your views. Is it OK for a single vehicle trip?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: carswell - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:20

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:20
My wife and I went over there last September, after going around Eyre. I'd always wanted to go there simply because I hadn't been before. It's a good place to go if you like camping and extracting your own interest from the environment. The ranges are old (they pre-date the Flinders Ranges) and consequently are relatively low. There was no water to speak of then, except in the odd rock hole up a gully. We saw plenty of lizards, lots of birds. The main roads are fine for most vehicles and tracks for 4Wd were easy. The country is open mostly and good for rambling around, climbing hills etc.

If you go there expecting gum-lined water holes, forget it. But if you like to take your time, settle around a campfire, look at the stars and soak it in, it's good. Most kids would be bored, mainly due to lack of water holes.

South of the Gawler ranges are the granite outcrops at Wudinna and other places, and they are very interesting if you like the sound of the wind in the she-oaks and like to watch birds come down to the granite water holes.
Tom Carswell

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 294678

Follow Up By: carswell - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:21

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:21
Fine for a single vehicle
Tom Carswell

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 560568

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 02:45

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 02:45
Can be nice if it rains. As kids dad would take us out to a waterfall there camping (too long ago to remember the location and it started raining so we were treated to watching it crank up albeit in a minor way
FollowupID: 560681

Reply By: Member - The W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:35

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:35
Yep, spent the new year there this year.
Do not miss going to the Mt Ive Station too.
It is part of the Gawler Ranges and just fantastic.
The new owners are really making an effort to welcome people to the camp ground there and they are lovely people.
Len & Joy Newton.
If you ask about going over the station there are some trips that you must not miss doing.
The station has the very best access and the very best view of the Gairdner Lake, this is where the land speed trials are held.
A must see place.
And yes the Gawler Ranges are so worth the trip.
Enjoy and stay safe.
Please give our regards to Len and Joy.
The Wattos.
AnswerID: 294764

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:14

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:14
Hi Louie,
Make sure you go to Pondana Outstation. It has been completely renovated with fresh paint, only the floors are as they were. All the external stone work has been cleaned up and looks great. The NP have set up a modern toilet, installed water tanks, fenced the home paddock and planted trees. You can sleep in the house (if you have swags), cook in the kitchen with your own cooker and take a bath/shower in the bathroom. Not to mention sitting on the front porch after sun set.
Enjoy the trip.
PS I would include a picture or two but I broke the camera a week before.
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 294794

Reply By: PradoTrev - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:01

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:01
Hey Louie

Just got back Tuesday

Dusty (but thats fine) National park was good nice walks and surrounds but next time I would stay at My Ives $20.00 unlimited access to the property and you can tag along with the help on a working tour ect. Good cabins and room accom at good rates or just camp (even got powered sites)

Staff and owners could not do enough to help (just called in for a shower after 5 days was due) and nothing was to uch trouble and I did not even stay on the propertym but will next time.

Good access to all points of interest and some sites are much better than the Nat Park.

Happy camping

Regards Trevor
AnswerID: 294836

Sponsored Links