Comfortable self-inflating mattress?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:56
ThreadID: 55907 Views:3527 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Wife and I tried our teenagers' self-inflating mattresses recently and found then not all that comfortable. Coleman brand I think. About 4 cm thick. Has anyone ever used one that could genuinely be called comfortable?
We normally use a piece of medium density foam with an egg shell topping and that is comfortable. But we're looking to reduce the space our bedding takes up when we take a tent instead of the CT so the foam may have to go - but not until we find something suitable to replace it.
Cheers from the Moose
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:17

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:17
We used Thermarest (US - $$$) self inflating mattresses in our tent for years - 1.5 inch thick models (the 2" jobs are made for sleeping on snow and apparently no more comfortable than the thinner ones)......we always found them good, but in the context of very compact bedding bases ! ......4" foam is a little better, but as you say, where to put it all ?

AnswerID: 294655

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:43

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:43
Don't think you can go past Thermarest.....about $300-$400.

Tried a few cheaper ones and did not like them but our Thermarests in our swags are better then our mattress on our bed at home.

Regards Richard
FollowupID: 560713

Follow Up By: DesF - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:26

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:26
Hi, Have to swear by Thermarest. have been using it for over 5 years and find them great , as it was said I get a better sleep on that than at home, we put the two of them side by side ( only when camping with the wife) and spread a sleeping bag over it and use the other bag as a quilt, Magic.
Ours were only $160.00 back then , couldn't afford them but had cheap blow ups before,
No contest. Happy Dreams Cheers Des.
FollowupID: 560766

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:19

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:19
I find them uncomfortable. Finally found one that was... but deflates and rolls to a pretty large bundle.

Really, the best space saver with acceptable comfort is still the airbed.. 'lilo'...
AnswerID: 294656

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:33

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:33
We use a 4" foam mattress, everything goes in the 4x4 trailer and it just goes on top of all our gear and the tarp holds it all down. Its also good cushioning and stops everything jumping about but its impossible to take away without the trailer. We have been thinking to cut ours down the middle, make two new covers and sew velcro straps on both halves and just velcro together. OK so now you have two bulky pieces but i think we will be able to roll up tighter if only half as wide and obviously you dont have the width to deal with.. I think it will work out better than the full mattress.I dont think there are better options than 4" foam comfort. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 294685

Reply By: Holden4th - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:41

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:41
A lot depends on your travelling habits. I've had a swag for years and a few years ago I started to really feel the cold inside my tent coming up from the base of the swag. (Remember that this is July in the Red Centre - bloody cold overnight). A mate sid I should switch to an inflatable mattress but the pump up varieties have the same problem that my swag did - the air in the mattress transmits the cold.

So I tested out a 'single' self inflator - Coleman BTW! It's about 10cm thick and cost me $79 on special. This is a true mattres and yes, while it doesn't roll up into a very compact cylinder its lack of weight means that storage is no problem. (It takes up no more space than than my swag).This is sooooo comfortable and no more 'cold night' problems in the middle of the desert.

There are other brands but I can't recommend a self inflator highly enough! They are comfortable yet firm, won't deflate in the night and can be stacked away just about anywhere

Your 4cm model is not a mattress - it's simply a mat! You can get much better!

Anaconda usually has one set up and wouldn't mind you testing it instore.
AnswerID: 294687

Follow Up By: bruce - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:49

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:49
One easy way to stop the cold from coming up from the ground....a few layers of pages of old newspapers...easy to carry around , take up little space , and if you get really bored you can re read them.....cheers
FollowupID: 560705

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 22:37

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 22:37
Our 10cm thick double mattress was called self-inflating when it came in a bag 6 years ago. But its never been that small since :-))
While its bulky, its a great mattress - as good as anything at home. It lives in the swag most of the time.

I reckon its worth putting up with its bulk for a good nights sleep, and we have the room to store it.
AnswerID: 294746

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:25

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:25
I've got a Rapid 4WD Mat from BCF. Single cost about $90. Inflates quick and easy and you can pump up the pillow a bit more if needed. Has a fake sort of velour cover that stays warm. Sure they make a double too...
Best of all it fits back in the bag!!!
AnswerID: 294759

Reply By: Dirty Patrol - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:31

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:31
I use the Freedom camping self inflating mat and find it very good it's a bit biog to hike with but great for 4x4ing, I have used a few others that are light weight and small great backpacking,but just not really comfortable like the freedom one. the store is in Elizabeth st melbourne the top of the range mat is the go if they have stock! they walk out the door fast! try the demo model in the display then look under it you will be amazed.
Cheers
Den
AnswerID: 294838

Sponsored Links