Can you run a MAC on windows operating system

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:36
ThreadID: 55915 Views:2101 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have had it big time with this MAC . I heard you can wipe the MAC operating system and instal windows . Is this true ?

At present I am running "Parallel Windows" with Vista on the machine , but this is far from perfect and I would like to get rid of the MAC side of it completely.

I do not want anybody telling me how good Macs are etc - I have had a gutful of that already .

Thanks ,

Willie .

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:04

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:04
PS

I do not want to instal Bootcamp , I actually want to know if I can wipe the OS X operating system and instal Vista instead .

Willie .
AnswerID: 294697

Reply By: FreeWheeler(Qld) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:11

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:11
Hey Willie,settle down there fella take a deep breath & ale or two, & think about for a little while & if that don't work throw the the damned thing out onto the street & start afresh.o:))))
Have a good evening Mate.
Bob.
AnswerID: 294703

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:20

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:20
Sorry mate. The MAC won't run Windows except in "Parallel Windows", ie you must have the basic MAC OS installed as the Windows HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer, the bit of the operating system that talks to the actual hardware) doesn't savy the Mac hardware.

Dare I suggest, buy a Wintel box?
AnswerID: 294708

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:42

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:42
"Accidentally" back the 4by over it and get a wintel replacement?
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 294721

Reply By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 21:44

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 21:44
I've got a $5,000 doorstop too.

No mapping, no satellite imaging, no GPS, mobile phone software effectively useless, Telstra tech help rate as 'chocolate teacup'.........My list of Mac woes are too painful to tell. Just buy a PC and be done with it.

I've owned 4 Macs and my wife earns her living on them. Great computers alright but totally impractical. Much like a hydrogen powered 4x4.
AnswerID: 294731

Reply By: Ballfyboy - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:44

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:44
Willie,
I think you will find that as long as you are running Leopard you will already have bootcamp installed. You can dual boot into vista but from what I beileve and I am only to happy to be corrected ( I don't run windows) parallels works far far better with XP. I also assume that you have installed any updates that are available for both the OS and Parallels?
Sorry to hear that your Mac experience has been sour. If you take it back to the people you bought it off they should be able to set up the dual boot facility pretty easily.
AnswerID: 294766

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:49

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:49
Ballfyboy,

Thanks for the info . I have had some possible good news from Mick in the post after yours , so I will try what he told me .

If it does not work , I will just throw a whammy and take it to a Mac dealer , as I am totally incompetent when it comes to computers .

I appreciate your help ,

Willie .

FollowupID: 561179

Reply By: Mick_B - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 07:07

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 07:07
Willie

It depends on the age of your Mac. We have a number of 20 inch iMacs that have windows installed, no Mac OS, no bootcamp. These machines were purchased in January this year.

Have not tried a straight install onto earlier intel based machines.

Easiest way to test would be to try and boot from your windows installation CD/DVD.

Mick
AnswerID: 295170

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:44

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:44
Hi Mick ,

I have a 20" Imac as well ( purchased Dec.'08 ), so I am keeping my fingers crossed . I love the hardware , I just cannot figure out the way this thing does things and I am too old to learn a new system .

I really appreciate your input . I have asked my son to come around to try to load the "Vista Home Basic" CD as you have suggested . He knows absolutely nothing about Macs , but has just finished 4 years of computing at Macquarie Uni , so he will do the test for me .

If that does not work , I guess I will take it to a Mac dealer and have them install Bootcamp and partition the hard drive so that Mac has a zilch percentage of it .

Thanks again ,

Willie .

FollowupID: 561176

Sponsored Links