Telit SAT550

Does anyone have any comments on the reliability of a Telit 550 satelite phone?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 21:41

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 21:41
The phone is cr*p.

The carrier is even cra*ppier (and you'd hardly think that were possible).

Do some research on Globalstar/Pivotel - so bad was the service they had to change their name.

Their Iridium offering, however, promises to be at least usable, even though the phone is a bit of a brick.

You can get a handset grant from the government - at least most people can find a way to get one.

Cheers
Andrew.
AnswerID: 294730

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 00:48

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 00:48
Yer I've got one and it is a large brick as Andrew says. Only used it twice so havn't explored all its functions. Globalstar is hit and miss. There are better options around. Guess you're buying it 2nd hand and the price is good.
As I've said previously 2nd hand phones with Globalstar/Pivitol will cost a lot to get the name of the account changed and the reconnection fee.
A new battery will set you back around the $200 mark (I think from memory)
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 294772

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:40

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:40
I probably should clarify... even the new phones for the Iridium network that Globalstar are providing (motorolas) are bricks.

The Telits are useless bricks.
FollowupID: 560711

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 13:54

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 13:54
N0 reconnect fee at all or fee to get account name changed ,, ,, a repack of the battery pack will cost no more than $50 ,,, there is an extremely large load of bovine droppings lately concerning sat phones ,,, yes global / pivotel had /has some problems but nowhere near what some people proclaim on this forum.
FollowupID: 560720

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:10

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:10
Well that has not always been the case that is for sure.
Where do you get the battery repacked for $50? My normal battery repacker refused to touch it. The battery pack never gave a reasonable life, and never supported a reasonable life cycle.
The bovine droppings should be left on G* - no one else. Sure - they had an unanticipated issue with satellites falling out of service, but their ability to resolve the issues or provide even a basic level of customer service (much less satellite telephony service) has been sh*t.
And they have still not resolved the issues for me despite numerous calls...
Their promise was mobile everywhere anytime. They flunked big time and should be left out to dry for not proactively working with the clients to resolve it. Sure - that may have been a lot of hard work, and may have cost them money... but they were the ones who made the promise with no caveats.
I have a G* service. The Telit handset is cr*p. The G* service is almost non-existant in most places I try to use it.
FollowupID: 560723

Sponsored Links