New Tyres

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 20:19
ThreadID: 5597 Views:2449 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
well after a measly 40,000k the bridgestone 693's were stuffed on the patrol.
with stock suspension, the size i could go up was limited,( as well as the low carport being a real problem :).), so it was time for a real long and hard look at what is available.
the ever helpfull mate at the tyre shop recomended of all things a set of Toyo A/t Open Country tyres in the 275/70r16 size. only about 12mm higher, i could still get the patrol in the carport.
so on they went, then out we went, straight into the hills. mud,rock, even the wet bitumen were all handled very well. pl;aces i was getting stuck with the 693's on, we just went straight through. the problem was finding some nice dry soft sand to see how they went.
that was solved a week later in Denham. every day for two weeks they were let down to 20psi, soft red sand and the beaches were handled without a problem, allmost like floating over the top.
even a 2.5 ton van hanging off the back of the patrol all the way there and back wasn't a problem.
so if like us, your 4by is a bitumen runner during the week, and you get to play on the weekend, and you want a decent A/T tyre, i can recommend that you have a look at the Toyo's

rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 20:54

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 20:54
To one Rick from another

yeah, I got the Toyo's on about 10 k ago, and they have been great - place that showed them to me are Cooper dealers also, and they said the tyres would go the same distance as Coopers if looked after in the same way.

I had gone into the tyre joint to buy Coopers, but was swung. I don't mind that, if they can substantiate some reasons to swap. The other reason I got 'em was the 8 plies - and despite a run of punctures previously on old tyres, these have performed very well.

They were $ 40 a tyre cheaper than the Coopers x 5 = 1 x 'free' tyre. Mine are 265 x 75 R 16, from a fireside memory ( its 9 degrees outside the house right now)

Had 'em in sand at Robe, and the most recent experience was in very rocky, stony country up at Warraweena Staion, in the Flinders. At about 30 psi, 4 blokes & 3 tonne total weight, they went very well - no visible sidewall damage.

Rick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 23235

Follow Up By: Member - Rick - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 14:38

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 14:38
hiya rick. yup, definatelly like the way the tyres are handling the terrain we get to on the weekends, as yet there doesnt appear to be any tread wear visible, will have to find a depth guage for that.
these tyres definatelly handle the sand better than the 693's, all we need now is some decent milage on them..:)

rick
FollowupID: 15468

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 00:18

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 00:18
What motor have you got Rick..???

How did the change effect economy??
AnswerID: 23252

Follow Up By: Member - Rick - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 14:35

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 14:35
gday andrew, we've got the 3.0tdi. As yet i havent had a chance to do any comparisons, as soon after getting the tyres we went to denham for two weeks with the big caravan, and then spent much of the holiday in 4wd.
i will hopefully get a chance to do something this week, then i'll let you know.

rick
FollowupID: 15466

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 22:40

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 22:40
Please do Rick

I'm in the tyre market myself at the moment and confused as ever.

I'd really like to know whether or not to rule out the bigger size tyre.

cheers
AnswerID: 23330

Reply By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:55

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:55
Just went through the same exercise with my Patrol - the Bridgestone AT's were done at about 32,000 mainly highway kms.

My caravan has 245/75R16LT Kumho Roadventure AT 825's (same diameter as the 265/70R16 std on the Patrol) and I wanted to keep the same diameter on the new tyres. After shopping around I went for the Kumho Roadventure 825 in 265/70R16 and am very happy to date. They are passenger construction and they handle very rocky fire trails with no problem and are very quiet on the blacktop. Don't know about sand yet. At $185 each I thought they were very good value compared to BFG or Cooper tyres. I kept the original Bridgestone as a spare so only had to buy 4 tyres as opposed to 5 if I went up in size. By the way, Nissan sell a tyre placard for 265/75R16 tyres which keeps the whole thing legal if you do go up in size.

Have done 5000km on the Kumho's with no sign of wear or damage to date.

Cheers

Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
AnswerID: 23361

Reply By: colin - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 15:18

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 15:18
i had a set of bridgestone desert duellers on my gq they where the australianmade version, and i got about 90,000ks and not one puncture, i now run them on my camper with cooper a/t on the wagon, did a desert trip with this set up and didnot have any problems. Had 6 other vehicles with us and they all suffered with punctured tyres to the point of no repair. All of the se tyres where made over seas, kuhmo, jap bridgestone, toyos. All these tyres where great for the weekend 4wding and city commuting, but out west could not handle the conditions. When we stopped at out back towns for repairs i looked at grave yard of tyres and most of them where jap asian brands of tyres. Col
AnswerID: 23481

Sponsored Links