Abandoned section of Gunbarrel

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 21:51
ThreadID: 5598 Views:2196 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I am just working my way through the various permits required to undertake a trip across the Gunbarrel. ( Rawlinna, Neale Junction, Laverton, Wiluna etc..) Having just read Len Beadell's book, " Too Long in the Bush" it seems that much of the original track (Highway) is only reasonably available from Carnegie Station to just before Jackie Junction. Permits and/or track closures seem to prevail from this point. The abandoned section appears to require atleast 2 vehicles plus comms. and a public liability release before approval for a permit will be considered. The original track through Surveyor General's Corner is apparently not available for access given a recent decision of the indigenous council responsible for this area back in March 2003? Having read Len's book I have reflected on the challenge of retracing his extraordinary achievements, (albeit in reverse) but this is not entirely achievable in any event.

I am seeking advice regarding the old abandoned section. I can satisfy the permit requirements but I would like some indication as to the state of this part of the track, eg the extent to which it is overgrown and the general condition of the track relative to earlier sections back toward Carnegie Station. Plan B says, if it is "dog hard" compared to the earlier sections and is going to remove the top coat back to primer(or metal) then I will have to seriously rethink the two options and lost opportunity vrs damage.

I would really welcome some feedback on the current state of the abandoned section of the Gunbarrel. It will help me finalise my application for permits.

Thanks and cheers!

Leigh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: goingplatinumcomau - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:55

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:55
Hi Leigh

Permits ect it amazes me all the red tape involved in seeing Australia,and to think my Father fought for this country WW2.
I hav'nt been out there yet and when i do i am going to Claim i am lost i never have any problems with Red Tape no matter what i do in Life now and Look forward to the Challenge ahead of me out there.

What a joke a Goverment and Police force full of Corruption and there running around out there like a mob of wankers Permits for this permits for that.

Not haveing looked into things yet there will be some law that Null and Voids everything :) No matter what it is there is always a way out.Like all things knowing what to say when is all.
The thing is most of Australians are brain dead i mean the Idiots voted howard back in with his GST tax ..........and that anwsers the question.
I did ask a Goverment offical at a Dinner eventone nite how they get away with so much...his reply .......the way we look at it
90 % Are Brain Dead
7% Know whats going on
3% Have the serious Money
Challenge being the key word Challenge every thing they say and do........most laws are Bluff............and Lawyers stay within the guidelines of the Bar Assosiation..The Truth is outside those Guidelines :)

Well that got of track all be it the Gunbarrel lol
Cheers Shane
AnswerID: 23259

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh- Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 18:33

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 18:33
Thanks Shane. There are some serious fines of up to $5K where breaches are proven. I tend to avoid these sort of risks at this stage of life and take the soft option in the interests of not being distracted from my main purpose.....a relaxing and uncomplicated holiday!! Cheers for now.

Leigh
FollowupID: 15487

Reply By: desert - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 16:14

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 16:14
Leigh, the abandoned section of the GBH is in better condition than the main section. It also has the better scenery. A spectacular drive, twisting through Desert Oaks, a magic drive. Easy and 2wd all the way. Enjoy.
AnswerID: 23294

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh- Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 18:23

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 18:23
Thanks Desert. Your comments are appreciated & I will give it a go.

Leigh
FollowupID: 15486

Reply By: Member - Errol (WA) - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 19:56

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 19:56
You didn,t say when you are leaving ? Iwill be leaving in 5 weeks yesterday , to do near the same trip . Plan on passing through Rawlinna on the 3rd Aug and turning north on the Connie Sue , if you are going about the same time , let me know.Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
AnswerID: 23318

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh- Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 20:07

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 20:07
Hi Errol,
We depart Vic. on 24 Aug. and will do Goog's track first, drop down to Ceduna and back up again to the line from Eucla then on to Rawlinna via Forrest etc. Hope you have a good trip...I'm waiting impatiently to get started!!

Leigh
FollowupID: 15497

Reply By: Member - Amanda - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:45

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:45
Hey Leigh
we did the whole Gunbarrel in 2001 and at that point in time we found the abandonded section in much better condition, great views, and good camping areas. one thing you have to watch for is the camels, they love to lead the way!. Another thing we found was to make sure you have equipment to repair flat tyres (punctures - mainly from sticks), but otherwise enjoy... its great.
AnswerID: 23353

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh- Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:16

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:16
Hi Amanda.
Thanks for your comments. I will certainly be taking puncture repair equipment and hopefully will not need to draw it out too often. Last year's trip up the Oodnadatta track, French line, Walker's Crossing etc and not one puncture so I suspect I'm on borrowed time!! Cheers and thanks for your encouragement.
FollowupID: 15539

Reply By: Member - Amanda - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 17:53

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 17:53
Hey Leigh,

We know the feeling of being on borrowed time. We were lucky on the Gunbarrel, but our travel partner wasn't!!. We are doing the Gibb River Road in a couple of weeks time and Andrew ( husband) has been preparing for the worse. I also forgot to say in the last post that it is advisable to have at least 2 cars on the abandoned section...the staff at carnigie station told us that. cheers
AnswerID: 23385

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh- Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:03

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:03
Thanks Amanda. We have three vehicles which is a comfortable number given what can go wrong with a convoy of several. Have a great trip on the Gibb River Road. It's on my todo list .....one day!!?? Safe travels and cheers. Leigh
FollowupID: 15558

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 20:10

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 20:10
Although I did this section a while back it is an easy drive and very scenic. I had some permits for the area but not the abandoned section. The chances of anyone asking you for a permit is remote. Remember...only a Police Officer is entitiled to ask you to produce your permit. And frankly, they( the bush Police), don't care out there. Most of this permit stuff is a bureaucracy established by ATSIC to justify fund allocation.

I don't worry about these things anymore. I make sure that I am prepared for remote travel and go !!!!!!!Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 23510

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh- Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 21:18

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 21:18
Thanks Willem. I think I am getting a sense of what the reality is. I travelled down the dog fence last year from the "Corner" (despite the signs indicating public closure of the track for OH&S reasons) but I was somewhat anxious about getting caught so this time I think I will relieve myself of that pressure, particularly given the nature of the interests involved. May be I need to toughen up a bit more and challenge the system?? Having said that however I am not in the least concerned about the sections of the Trans Aust rail line that I will be travelling on. I figure if we keep to ourselves and away from the working areas we should not have any trouble. Cheers and thanks again for your comments...they have been helpfull.

Leigh
FollowupID: 15705

Sponsored Links