Current High Country conditions weather and trackwise.

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 17:26
ThreadID: 55980 Views:1803 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Heading from Mansfield to Wonnangatta on the weekend and we are wondering if anyone has any updates on tracks and weather since the rain started. If anyone has just got back it would be great to get feedback. Also are the march flies still a problem or have they started hibernating?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 17:56

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 17:56
Got back yesterday from a trip along Brocks Road past the new hut being built near Bluff Hut, Lovicks Hut and on to Howitt Rd. All good up to Refrigerator Gap - hundreds of people camped along the Howqua River. A bit rough and rocky from the Bluff Hut turnoff up to the junction with Howitt Road, but no difficulty after the rain (too bl##dy rocky!). The NE section of Brocks Rd is closed.

Also traversed the Junction Spur Tk and Castleburn Ck Tk from Moroka Rd to the Dargo/Bairnsdale Rd. Got a bit of a surprise - the Castleburn Ck Tk is a dead end (character building in the dark and the rain). Had to backtrack to the Black Range Tk(?) up Dingo Hill -this was a bit soft yesterday, and I had the rear diff locker working for a while.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 295039

Follow Up By: Members - Chris/Lindsay (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:00

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:00
Thanks George. how were the march flies?
FollowupID: 560990

Follow Up By: George_M - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:01

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:01
I should add that it took about four hours to get from Mansfield to the Zeka Spur junction on Howitt Rd, including a stop for lunch.

Didn't see a single march fly, and very few bush flys.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 560991

Follow Up By: Members - Chris/Lindsay (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:49

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:49
We got back yesterday and had the best trip. Snow up around lovicks and it was snowing as we were driving. Thanks for your interest. Christine.
FollowupID: 563003

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:09

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:09
Chris we just got back after Easter & had friends who came back yesterday. They had 2 heavy showers whilst in there which settled the dust & made things a bit slippery on the steep hills. Snow fell on the peaks today & with forecast temps on the weekend as low as -3 there may be more.
The middle section of Brocks road still has a closure on it but the remainder of the trip is all open into the Valley. Zeka spur is cutting up badly in a few places and would be quite exciting towing a trailer down there if there is anymore rain.
March flies are all but gone with the cold change coming in.
Have a great trip.
Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 295044

Follow Up By: DIO - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:37

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:37
Check the BOM Alpine Forecast for the nest few days. Looks like some rain and cold winds Link
FollowupID: 560997

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:36

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 18:36
Hi Chris/Lindsay
My old man(white terrican), my uncle(blue gu) and cousin(gu ute) will be up that way this weekend. If you see them give them a hoy. Have a good trip. My dads name is david.
Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 295050

Reply By: Carlin - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:09

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:09
We have just come out of the high country and it was all fine did the above mentioned tracks and more and all was fantastic! Bloody cold leavingcraigs hut this morning though snow in air and only at Falls creek was there snow on the ground.Dargo ute music festival was awesome! Now in Grampians, big desert, little desert and murray sunset. LIFE IS GOOD!
AnswerID: 295081

Sponsored Links