Fuel Transfer Pump on GU Patrol

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 560 Views:4663 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has any person experienced failure of the fuel transfer pump from sub tank to main tank on their GU Patrol cab chasis. A Member of my 4wd club has experienced three failures to date. Their model is a series 2 dx 2000 cab chasis. Nisson seem unable to find the problem so, HELP.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim fitzgerald - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:00
I have a 3.0 l turbo wagon had the same trouble on Frazer Island last year Problem was earth
wire to pump being too small and poorly connected plus having power to a van or trailer effects the current flow. larger earth better contact fixed the problem
AnswerID: 1461

Follow Up By: John - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:00
Tim, I am about to purchase a new 4.8P GU Patrol so I am quite interested in your reply to Roger's question. The Nissan dealer in Vic who I am buying from claims that there are few problems with the fuel transfer pump and he has never heard of the fix that you found successful. Was the fix found and rectified by Nissan or by some one else? Any information would be appreciated. Are there other GU drivers out there with fuel transfer pump or any other GU problems? Thank you all.John
FollowupID: 448

Reply By: Tim Nivison - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:00
Roger. I also had a fuel transfer pump problem after fitting an electric winch. Hardman Nissan of Armidale NSW also fixed by earthing somehow. 50000k, Cape York,Kimberly,Gunbarrel etc later and have had no problems.
AnswerID: 1462

Reply By: tim fitz - Thursday, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:00
my problem was fixed by missan dealer at warrawong nsw . the dealer explained the earth problem is more likely if you tow a van connected to the trucks electrical system or have an eleltric winch 30000klm later no more trouble
AnswerID: 1464

Reply By: John - Saturday, Nov 24, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 24, 2001 at 01:00
Thanks Tim. I contacted Warrawong Nissan service dep't and they said that they had a couple of problems and that Nissan were aware of the problem. Nissan customer service? deny any knowledge of any fuel transfer problem. Said that it might be on their database as a dealer comment but refused to look up the database as this information is confidential. Yes! I suppose we don't want the customer to be informed of faults do we? When I suggested that the reason I wanted to know about any potential pump failure was that I could take remedial action before it failed the Nissan customer service? guy thought that it was a crazy idea. "Just wait and see if it breaks down" was his oh so helpful reply.
Makes you wonder about about the value of Nissan's customer service?.

John
AnswerID: 1479

Reply By: Will - Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00
Roger and the rest of the people who replied,
The transfer pump in the GU patrol is a very simple electric pump which is connected to both tanks via a full/empty sensor on both tanks.
The problem arises because this pump is mounted on rubber, as such it needs an earth wire to the chassis. This wire is supposed to be just for the pump, however if the main earth cable (battery to body and to the chassis) is not making good contact and you add electric devices such as a winch, then the winch uses the small pump's earth and vice versa.
The solution is to make sure that all earth wires are in good condition and making good contact and are of enough capacity.
Will
AnswerID: 1491

Follow Up By: Roger Lowry - Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00
Thanks to all those that have replied.
I will inform the club member of your comments.
Your replies probably have helped other GU owners also.
Regards Dodg.
FollowupID: 458

Reply By: John - Saturday, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:00
And finally.
After a bit of badgering Nissan Aust yesterday admitted to me that there 'may' be a problem with the fuel transfer pump. Nissan Japan are currently doing the mirror trick, Nissan Aust do not accept the earth fault that has been described on this forum and others. they tell me that there have been pumps returned to Japan for investigation.
If and when I find anything more I will post it to this forum.
Happy 4 wheeling.John
AnswerID: 1514

Follow Up By: Roger Lowry - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2001 at 01:00
Thankyou again for your replies. The problem for the GU Patrol seems to be in the earthing system.The member has fitted additional earths from chasis rail to body and from body to battery earth terminal, this seems to have fixed the problem. Apparently we seem to overload the earth system when we add more electric assessories.
FollowupID: 486

Reply By: waynepd - Saturday, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:00
this has been the subject of many mailings to a 4x4 nissan patrol mailing list i am subscribed to along with the lack of response from nissan to any problems that may occur.
nissan is fully aware of the problem and i believe they have taken steps to rectify it in the later 3.0l models.

but don't take my word for it pester them for some good customer service
cheers
wayne
AnswerID: 1558

Sponsored Links