Travel Update...

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 19:38
ThreadID: 56024 Views:2611 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone, well we finally left the goldfields of Victoria, and headed Sth, passing thru Ballarat, where it was a mere 10 Deg and raining, a little different to temps in the 40's a week earlier. We stayed a night at Lorne, which was very impressive and a good look around that after noon before setting up camp.
It rained most of the night and into the morning, so a quick packup, and we were off to see some of the wonders of The Great Ocean Rd. Cruised nice and slowly along admiring the view all the way to Apollo bay, where we stopped for nice bacon & egg roll for brekky.
Some of the roads and scenery down in this part of Victoria are just brilliant. we finally arrived at the Aire River West campgrounds, picked a great CT friendly site and set up for the nite. I wish we had of stayed another night, we liked the spot so much. Great spot for a paddle up the river for those with a kayak or canoe. We took a look up a 4wd trail, that led to the beach, and luckily chose not to head down onto it( which wasn't allowed anyway) and saw some nasty evidence of someone being horribly bogged possibly a week earlier. A fair bit of birdlife around too (feathered ones!!) We are just east of SA tonight after seeing the 12 apostles today, that was a highlight!! I think we've also seen about our 512th Wicked camper on the road!! That guy must be making a killing. Good on him. Should be in the gold fields of Kalgoorlie in around a week and a halfs time. Take care to all.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:05

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:05
Uncle,

This is a perfect update to go into the new members blog system. That way it is stored in your personal pages and will not go down the page list in the forum. Simply go to My Home and select My Blog and load it in there with the Add new Entry function.

We are wanting all travel journal type update to move into the blog system from this point on.
AnswerID: 295312

Follow Up By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:28

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:28
No worres David. Give it a go.
FollowupID: 561306

Reply By: Member - kevin Y (SA) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:54

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 20:54
sounds like your having a great time ----the great ocean road is a lovely drive this time of year but not in winter
AnswerID: 295318

Reply By: Nick R (VIC) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 21:43

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 21:43
how were the mozzies down there at Aire river?
we were eaten alive back in december. remove the mozzies and it would be a perfect spot.
Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 295332

Follow Up By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:45

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:45
No dramas Nick,I think it was too cold for them, our thermometer reckoned it was 8 deg overnight,I'd believe it too!!
FollowupID: 561374

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 23:59

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 23:59
Hey uncle, Glad you are having a good time....and its cold here at home too! Enjoy your Kalgoorlie...i know your hanging to get there!

Take care!!
AnswerID: 295352

Follow Up By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:55

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:55
Hey Laura, hope you guys have been well. Has the CT had a shakedown run yet? We've become pretty finetuned with the set up and packup of ours by now!! I think today is day 43 away for us. Jodie finally met Kevin Hillier the other day ( man who found the Hand of Faith Nugget) She shook hands quickly with him as well to hopefully get some luck rub off!! He's heading over to WA as well , we may catch up with them also.
Take care and will keep in touch, time to pack up now while this rain has eased. Unc & Jodes.
FollowupID: 561376

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 18:55

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 18:55
Taking the CT out to Oallen for sunday night so Turpie / Braidwood road should bring things undone if anything will rattle lose....

look forward to reading your BLOGGY thing next time!!

FollowupID: 561463

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:29

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:29
G'day Uncle and Jodie,

Glad things are going well and you enjoyed your journey along the Great Ocean Road. All the best in the West.

I finished the book, very interesting. Now, I'm going to reread it to go over a few things.

Great to meet you and hope we catch up again.

Happy travels,

Viv & Ray
AnswerID: 295365

Follow Up By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:50

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:50
Morning Viv, wow, you got thru it fast. The plot thickens?? anyway great to catch up with yourself and Ray eventually as well. got some more rain here this morning at Dartmoor.
We are heading to Kadina today, hopefully get there by this arvo. The great Ocean Rd was fantastic, i think we only averaged 50kph!! anyway take care and we will keep in touch, Unc & Jodie.
FollowupID: 561375

Sponsored Links