Camping - Perth - Exmouth

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 00:05
ThreadID: 56030 Views:4449 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
In a couple of weeks we are travelling to Exmouth - my Daughters and Grand Children have been wanting to swim with the Whale Sharks for some time

We will take two days to drive up. So I expect the First Night to be somewhere near Billabong or Overlander. Dont really want to camp at the roadhouses

Does anyone know any good camping spots (we have two well equipped camper trailers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mowing - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 00:21

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 00:21
Trekkie, It is a bit close but what about that spot on the murchinson river near the bridge north of Kalbarrie?

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 295356

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 00:48

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 00:48
There are several along there, the one Mark mentioned is Galena Bridge - 13km N of Kalbarri turn off. this has dunnies

The next one is Water Tanks R/A 59 km N of the turn off

Nerren Nerren R/A - 82 km N - with dunnies.

Billabong R/A - opposite the roadhouse

Overlander R/A - just S of the roadhouse

And there is another 5 between there and Carnarvon.

PeterD

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 561360

Reply By: disco driver - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 01:04

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 01:04
Trekkie,
There is a large authorised overnight rest area on the left a bit south of Billabong Rd Hse, some shade and toilets with a lamp pole and light.

IMHO it could be a bit far south and would make it a fairly long drag from there to Exmouth.

The other option is to go further north on day1 (maybe about 100km south of Carnarvon) and look for a gravel pit or side road to set up an overnight camp (no frills) ready for an early start on day2.

No matter where you stop there will be a constant traffic rumble all night.

Are you aware that the Exmouth area has had around 150mm of rain in the last few days? Creeks should all be down by the time you get there.

Disco.

AnswerID: 295359

Reply By: Member - John W (WA) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:12

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:12
Hamelin pool camp area
its at the shark bay turnoff + 23k in I think,
very safe,old style place.
AnswerID: 295399

Reply By: ozwasp - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:36

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:36
Hi Trekkie,

I usually migrate north to exmouth/coral bay most years for at least a week and have found Kalbarri and Hamelin Pool (30km out from Overlander Roadhouse) good stop off points.

Kalbarri is nice when there aren't too many people around, but it is quite a drive off the highway. In the past I've turned at Northhampton and taken the coastal road to Kalbarri and come out the other way. It is a very scenic drive, going past blowholes and cliffs on the coast and through the gorges on the way out - highly recommended.

Hamelin Pool is about 30km towards the coast from Overlander and is a small caravan park, overlooking the beginning of shark bay and the area has plenty of history. There are also stramolites there, which are some of the oldest know organisms.

All the roads I've mentioned above are sealed and thus a would be no problem for a caravan. Good luck with your trip, I'm sure you'll really love it and be sure to see the Charles Knife Canyon just south of Exmouth - it looks out into the Gulf and is very scenic.

Regards, Will.
AnswerID: 295405

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 21:50

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 21:50
Thanks for the replies - Will try to get as close to Carnarvon as we can - might look for a gravel pit
AnswerID: 295484

Sponsored Links