GU Patrol reading light console

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 14:40
ThreadID: 56040 Views:2824 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone plese tell me how I can remove the roof console - the one with the 2 reading lights and glasses holder? I want to mount a reversing camera and pickup the power from the lamps. Been battling for the last 1/2 hour and about to give up before I break it. There appears to be only one screw so I expect the I need to do some yanking!!!
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev - Wynnum - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 14:57

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 14:57
Fred,
From memory there are two screws behind the interior light, remove it and you will find. There are also two screws up behind the sunglass holder. I can't remember how this comes out but they were difficult to get to after it was removed.

Kev
AnswerID: 295415

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 15:06

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 15:06
Thanks for help Kev. There are two small reading lamps but no screw in there. Only the one screw behind the sunglasses holder. I suspect that I will just need to yank it off after removing the one screw but am worried I might break it. Does it need mush force? I am not too sure what you mean by interior light - there really isn't one.
Fred
FollowupID: 561426

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:12

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:12
I had an ST L and it took a bit of getting out. From what I remember there is only 1 screw holding it in and some clips at the front that you have to be carefull not to break or it wont stay up after that. A Haynes manual will show you how.
Depending on the type of reversing camera you are using its easier to pick up the power down in the LH footwell where u tap into the reverse light wire. Thats where I got mine and just used a screw down there for the earth. I ran the wire up into the front of the console and got some TWINLOCK from 3 M and used that to mount it on the LH side over the sunglass area. THe twinlock is heat resistant and stay on whereas ordinary D/sided tape comes off with the heat in that area.What size screen are u using.
AnswerID: 295421

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:43

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:43
I was hoping to mount it on the roof - see how I go otherwise will take up your advice. It is a small screen and will do nicely as you suggest - appreciate you advice on the TWINLOCK, need that.
Fred
FollowupID: 561445

Reply By: aroundwego - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:15

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:15
dont rip it out - it will come out easily :)

There are two screws up under the sunglass holder.

have you taken the rear vision mirror off. Im sure i had to

I dont have mine in front of me, but I think at the rear of the console are two blanks on each corner. just prise them open and there should be two screws

have a beer and wait a few minutes I am trying to get a piccy of mine taken to show you

AnswerID: 295423

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:40

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:40
Thanks 'aroundwego' hope you can manage to do that.
Fred
FollowupID: 561444

Reply By: aroundwego - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:44

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:44
I lied there are not two screws at the back, but I have some pics that may help, (wife just took them with phone and sent them to me)

You will notice the 4 plastc vertical clips on each corner that have to be prised

hope it helps

hope it helps

Pete
AnswerID: 295427

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 17:08

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 17:08
Thanks Pete, that is great.
I sure owe you one.
Cheers
Fred
FollowupID: 561449

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 17:11

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 17:11
Now I remember Just be careful as they can jam and break off

THe Twinlock you will probably have to get from 3M warehouse as its not available in shops and is about $12 a metre.

I got mine from 3M in brisbane northside. If u use it, my screen was a fold up Polaris RM35??? and I put the tape on running from front to back as if you put it across ways the curve of the conslole wont let it grab properly. I also got some clear packing tape and taped the siunglass holder shut.
I hate cutting holes etc in good gear so usually figure out ways not to.
Other way is to fit a metal plate under l/h edge of console and attach screen to that
Couldnt put it in the centre as it blocks rear vision mirror.
My camera I ran through the loom into the door and mounted it on a metal plate on the inner end of the number plate. Gives good view of towbar and isnt too obvious.
Have fun.
FollowupID: 561453

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:06

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:06
Fred, I see that you have had a satisfactory answer as to how to remove the whole thing. The photo shows what it looks like with the useless sunglass holder removed. I left the sunnnies holder out and have mounted a remote noise-reduction speaker in there for my HF radio.

With regard to the reversing camera screen, I mounted mine on a 90 degree steel bracket, which is then mounted to the original mirror mounting system....IE: it will breakaway in the event of something (eg: someone's head) hitting it.......so it is as safe as having the mirror there.

I used a separate power wire......didn't think there'd be enough power in the original wires for the reading lamps. I ran the cables down the passenger's side "A" pillar.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 295552

Sponsored Links