Camping areas near Kalgoorlie and Perth

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 17:54
ThreadID: 56044 Views:10659 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

Later in the year we should be over in the west. Has anybody got any recommendations for camping areas (suitable for a camper trailer) in the Kalgoorlie area and near to Perth?

Thanks.

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 20:57

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 20:57
I cant comment on Kal, perhaps Davoe will be along later.

As for Perth, Depends on what you want and how far from Perth you dont mind being.

To the east, Lake Leshenaultia isnt too bad, DEC facilities, nice bushland.

To the South, I would recommend Dwellingup approx 1 hour)- one of the nicest and most tranquil spots Ive been to (except for the bogans from pinjarra and mandurah (my apologies to any bogans from those areas, but your loud music and bourbon gives me the bleep s). Baden Powel is really nice if its quite, otherwise there a few camps on the other side of the river which are good.
AnswerID: 295472

Follow Up By: SteveL - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:57

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:57
Have to agree with Mike,Lake Leshenaultia and Lane Poole near Dwellingup are good spots ,close to Perth.Avon National Park
is also OK,but has been a bit dry lately.
FollowupID: 561535

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 21:29

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 21:29
There are lots and lots of places you can pull up and camp for FREEE!!! You can buy a book "Priceless campsites & rest areas in the south of Western Australia" by Jan Holland. A real good book however you can camp almost anywhere if you think you are tied, sick or even if you have had a couple too amny. The cops would rather you camp than scrape you off the road.
I can tell you places I have camped if you would like to email me.
Regards
Brian
AnswerID: 295480

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:41

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:41
If your coming from the East and Have the time I can highly recomend taking the road from Widgiemooltha to cave hill which then gos on to Burra Rocks and Coolgardie. Both of these spots have good camping with dams and granite rocks suitable for campers. Closest place to kal is ust a few ks out of Kal on the Coolgardie road Lake Douglas which is a dam with Camping (sort of)
Between Kal and Southern cross is Karalee rocks which is part of the Golden Pipeline Heritage trail with granite ock large flume and dam, well set up for camping.
Cant think of any decent spots aong the highway much after you get into the weatbelt country
AnswerID: 295500

Follow Up By: BMKal - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 04:37

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 04:37
Lake Douglas is currently a dried up dust bowl, frequented by kids on motor bikes - I don't think I'd go camping there.

There's not a lot close to Kalgoorlie if you don't want to stay in one of the van parks in town - but there is plenty to see in and around Kalgoorlie.

Down the road a bit - yes, Karalee Rock is a great spot well worth the visit, and a good area for camping. I'm driving from Kal to Perth tomorrow and will probably stop in there for a look and a break - it's a good spot to get out of the car and have a bit of a walk around, and not far in off the road.

Depending on whether you want to stick to the main road or not, you can turn off the highway between Yellowdine and Southern Cross and go down through Hyden. Some great camping spots down that way including Wave Rock just out of Hyden. Dirt road from the Yellowdine turn-off to just out of Hyden, but it's generally in good nick - I've done it in a Commodore pulling a trailer more than once without problems.

If you want to spend any time around Kalgoorlie, a lot of people camp off the side of the road between Kambalda and Kalgoorlie. Never heard of anyone having any trouble doing this - there's plenty of traffic on that road, so the idiots tend to keep away or keep moving. There are no designated camping areas and no facilities along there, but plenty of shady spots where you can get in off the road and camp for the night.

Cheers ............... BMKal
FollowupID: 561543

Reply By: knight44 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:25

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:25
Thanks guys for your replies.

Davoe, we'll actually be coming down the coast from the Kimberley, then turning at Geraldton to go through Mount Magnet and Leonora to Kal. Many, many years ago I worked as a geologist in the Yalgoo area, so it will be interesting to see what's changed.

Brian, my email address is rkg44@yahoo.com.au

Thanks

Richard
AnswerID: 295534

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:21

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:21
Righ then From Leonora Take the Leonora Mt Ida Road and foolow the Golden Quest Discovery trail to Ora Banda and on to Kal
FollowupID: 561589

Reply By: Wizard1 - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:51

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:51
The answer you seek is always found in Camps Australia Wide (Camps 4).
AnswerID: 295754

Sponsored Links