patrol egr valve advice needed

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 19:34
ThreadID: 56050 Views:3795 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
previously i have posted that my 3 litre patrol had a whistling noise and others commented theirs did the same,well the noise is louder and more constant,a mechanic has determined that the noise is coming from the EGR valve on the engine the patrol is down on power no smoke ,temp normal,starts well,have had contaminants in fuel this week,changed fuel filter drained fuel still down on power,,,,question can i remove the EGR valve at home to check for leaks etc, any thing special to be aware of ??????????? how do i check the turbo is working ?????????
Any help appreciated thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 20:28

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 20:28
Put a post up on this site mate it may help,

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

The EGR is a problem at times and a few have had them replaced. Usually cause a fair bit of smoke when they go.

There are heaps of other things it could be, but the whistling noise could also be a leaking hose or loose hose clamp on the hose from the turbo.

AnswerID: 295465

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 21:05

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 21:05
went to patrol 4x4 site wont let me log on but thanks anyway
FollowupID: 561505

Follow Up By: psproule - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 06:05

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 06:05
You probably need to create an account to post. But there is a hell of a lot of info there on the 3.0TD patrol, mostly around why they go bang. Like the 4th thread down "3.0lt patrol" in the GU section.

But everything you probably need to know, including the mods to keep yours from going bang, is in here:
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80051&postcount=12

You'll note that although illegal, blocking the EGR is one of the first things they do to them.
FollowupID: 561545

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:01

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:01
tdf

You really need to determine which side of the engine bay the noise is coming from. If it is coming from the driver side then yes the whistling noise is probably coming from the EGR, get a small blanking plate made up to replace where the EGR exit pipe bolts on to the manifold, this should confirm or deny it. There has been a lot written about this on this site and the Patrol Forum which is a wealth of information.

If the sound is coming from the passenger side then it is quite possibly a warped exhaust manifold, I had to get the face of the manifold that seals against the engine block machined flat about 6 months ago now, to solve a whistling noise that had it down on power.

Cheers

Snowy
AnswerID: 295521

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:48

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:48
im confused isnt the egr on the passengers side,the noise is on passengers side
FollowupID: 561557

Follow Up By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:15

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:15
The EGR bolts to the drivers side block towards the rear. The pipe that connects the EGR valve to the inlet manifold is alloy and usually warps from the heat where it joins the valve. You just have to remove the 4 bolts, one at the valve is abit awkward, and sand the alloy pipe. I use a piece of emery paper on a sheet of glass. Refit and presto.
If its from the other side I would be checking the intercooler pipes. They have a habit of blowing off, usually from overboosting. If thats what it is be very wary as this may be a major contributor as to the engine failures. If it is the intercooler pipe I would be replacing the MAFF sensor as well.
Hope this helps
Scott
FollowupID: 561568

Reply By: Dan26aus - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:36

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:36
Hi there tdf,
i too had a whistling noise that was driving me insane to find... At first i thought it was the drivers side, then at the front, then the passenger side etc,,,, Turns out it was the alloy pipe from the egr valve to the inlet manifold as previously mentioned. Try starting the patrol and feel for any exhaust escaping from where the pipe flanges onto the egr valve.I filed mine flat ( be careful to to file too much as you don't get any flex to play with...), then i had a bit of s/s sheeting and cut a template without the hole and blank't it off. The only reason that egr valve is there is for european specifications for emission release & theirs is a lot lower than here is australia.....If you would like any other advise of what i done to mine feel free to give me a call on 0438730061........

Cheers

Dan Kimball
AnswerID: 295556

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:22

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:22
Hi tdf,
I have that very issue at the moment. At work we have an exhaust smoke machine, so did a test and had exhasut coming out in vicinity of the exhaust manifold but hard to see exactly where with a lot of stuff in the way. I took it to the dealer and mechanic said the noise was consistent with exhaust leak. Booked in now for warranty repair.

Hugh
AnswerID: 295825

Sponsored Links